Aussies attempting to leave Cambodia (Covid 19)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aussies attempting to leave Cambodia (Covid 19)

Post by timmydownawell »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:31 pm Last orders if you want to make the flight back to Australia on Sunday 12 April. Ticket purchases are available until 5pm today, 9 April 2020.
Facebook:
Australian Embassy, Cambodia
23 hrs · Public
smartraveller.gov.au

The Australian Embassy, Cambodia has been successful in negotiating a special flight for Australians to return home. The flight is scheduled for the afternoon of Sunday 12 April 2020.
International travel is already extremely difficult and will only get more challenging in coming weeks. All Australians wanting to return to Australia should do so as soon as possible. There are no plans for the Australian Government to arrange a free charter flight.
For more information about the flight go to: https://cambodia.embassy.gov.au/
To purchase a ticket please email [email protected] ASAP (no later than Thursday, 9 April @ 5pm). Seats will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, also taking into account special health considerations.
You will need to include the following information:
• Subject title must read: Purchase Ticket Request
• Full name (as appears in your passport) of EACH person travelling
• Date of birth of EACH person travelling
• Passport number for EACH person travelling,
• Telephone contact number
• Citizenship (if not Australian) of EACH person travelling.
All travellers arriving in Australia will need to undertake mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities (e.g hotels), in their port of arrival.
I wonder what its "port of arrival" is, a tiny detail left out of that post.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:43 pm I wonder what its "port of arrival" is, a tiny detail left out of that post.
Sydney, I believe I read in another article. Although, I'm sure that's subject to change.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

April 8 2020 - 5:35PM
Aussie's flight hope for family reunion
Heather McNab

As the Australian government moves closer to securing a chartered flight out of Cambodia for hundreds of citizens who fear being stranded amid the coronavirus lockdown, Michael Powell finds himself desperately trying to return to Phnom Penh.

Foreign Minister Marise Payne on Wednesday said the Australian government was in "final negotiations" for a special commercial flight from Phnom Penh to Australia.

However, Mr Powell, 57, is trying to find a way home from Australia to his family in Cambodia.

Originally from Adelaide, Mr Powell is a longtime resident of Phnom Penh and is in the process of applying for legal guardianship of the two children of his ex-partner.

After arriving in Adelaide for a holiday in March, Mr Powell was booked to return to Cambodia this week before being told the earliest return flight with the airline was in May.

Since the flight was pushed back he has been "desperately trying to get back to Cambodia," he said.

The federal government in March announced a ban on overseas travel for Australians in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Mr Powell told AAP he had been granted an exemption on compassionate grounds to be able to fly back to Cambodia.

Cambodia is one of the few countries in the region that does not have direct flights to Australia, normally transiting through Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok.

Mr Powell says he feels an "incredible responsibility to get back and be with my kids and to try and make life as normal as possible in these circumstances".

He's now hoping to fly to Cambodia on the flight organised to charter citizens home from Phnom Penh if it leaves from Australia.

Mr Powell is "very sympathetic" to what the Australians in Cambodia are feeling.

"But here I am, I'm stuck in a situation where I'm trying to get things done in reverse," Mr Powell said.

"But if this flight is going from Australia over the next few days, I am going to somehow or other try and get there and get on the flight, and I would pay."
Australian Associated Press
https://www.bellingencourier.com.au/sto ... y-reunion/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Wow, a planeload of cambodian expats all together in a designated lock-down hotel in Sydney.
Sounds like a recipe for... something. For sure.

Any CEO members of good standing (lol) who need a Red Cross package, feel free to drop me a PM.
Sorry, no party pills - some fool already got busted for sending in a sparkled up basket of fruit.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I to would be interested in the flight back to Cambodia I've watched as much tv in three weeks to last me a lifetime
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Australian Embassy facebook message concerning the flight out from Phnom Penh to Australia on 12 April 2020:
17 mins ·

Update on Embassy-facilitated flight to Australia

Thank you everyone for your patience waiting for calls regarding Sunday's flight. We are extremely grateful for the extra efforts the airline and its Phnom Penh-based staff are making to support this flight.

There will be no further calls this evening (Friday) but calls will resume at 9am tomorrow (Saturday). The plane is not yet fully allocated and there are more calls to be made. Just because you have not been called yet is not a reliable indicator of whether you will be able to take this flight. We anticipate most of the calls will have been made by lunchtime tomorrow. As we advised earlier, we expect to accommodate most if not all of those who registered interest in this flight and are eligible to fly.

Please be assured seats are being allocated on a first come first served basis, assuming no complications with visas, contact phone numbers or passport information. The time you receive a call is indicative of processing issues, not seat allocation.

Some of you have been asking about frequent flyer points. No frequent flyer points will be issued by the airline on the first leg of the flight, as this is not a regularly scheduled, commercial route. Allocation of frequent flyer points on the second leg of the flight is subject to the airline’s normal frequent flyer policy and is a matter for the airline. The Australian Government has no role in this.

Embassy staff have been working throughout the day and will now be offline until tomorrow. We look forward to re-engaging then.

We will continue to update everyone on developments, including when the flight is full.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:39 pm
Some of you have been asking about frequent flyer points. No frequent flyer points will be issued by the airline on the first leg of the flight, as this is not a regularly scheduled, commercial route. Allocation of frequent flyer points on the second leg of the flight is subject to the airline’s normal frequent flyer policy and is a matter for the airline. The Australian Government has no role in this.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:39 pm Australian Embassy facebook message concerning the flight out from Phnom Penh to Australia on 12 April 2020:
Some of you have been asking about frequent flyer points. No frequent flyer points will be issued by the airline on the first leg of the flight
Huh? :roll:
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Some reporter from one of these rags in Australia should do an article mocking the "stranded" for refusing to book flights, demanding coaches to pick them up in the provinces, refusing to travel to Phnom Penh despite knowing of possible travel restrictions for ten days, and asking about frequent flyer points. I think the masses in the UK and Australia would enjoy an article about the irresponsible and unwashed "stranded."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:03 pm ...refusing to travel to Phnom Penh despite....
I saw some posts on these "stranded" groups a week or two back. They were saying they were in Sihanoukville/ Kampot and asking if it was really necessary to go to the capital to catch their "evacuation"flights. Da fuq? :? :shock: 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic