What are some good and bad names for a half Cambodian baby?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What are some good and bad names for a half Cambodian baby?

Post by Yerg »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 am unsure if mentioned but you can solve this issue w/ a middle name the middle name can be the khmer name. Just a thought.
And this is a cracking idea!!!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:55 am
pczz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:47 am
Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:11 am
pczz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:45 am Surely the name dependson where the child isgoing to wind up living. I would choose a khmer name that is close to a falang name or can be shortened as a nickname in thewest.
Khmer can pronounce David, john, steve for boys. Lisa works as above, anita or go veh=gan and try apple
Day-wid and Stee-yoo are not barang names I would recommend that are easily pronounced by Khmers. John? Yep, safe as houses. Luke might also be a safe option.
not met a khmer yet who couldn't manage my godson. usually pronounced as da-vid, which oddly is the same as the welsh say it :-) brings us to a different subject relly, pronunciation in english is anll its forms
As a Welshman, it's Da-fydd. Let's not split hairs :lol:

One of those names (David/Steve) is mine, and never, ever been pronounced right. The other is a "nephew" and also never been pronounced right in my earshot. Lucky that Dar-Vid is getting close to correct. One day, we'll tame and train the natives :hattip:

I honestly think Luke would be a good name for a boy though. Someone earlier suggested Lina for a girl, and I like that one too.
You mean lena :-)
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I suggest naming your children after family members.
Then, you can come up with a nickname depending on where you live.
One of my oldest friends Sammy Chang moved to the USA in the early 1970s..
His real first name is not Sammy.
Hell, he has 3 sisters who all went by Sue at their family restaurant.
My name is very hard for Khmer people to pronounce.
Big deal.
My name in Spanish with a bit of tweaking means Boss...
Don't worry about these minor issues.
Choose a name that will make the family proud.
Then pick a nickname when need arises.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

BklynBoy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 am unsure if mentioned but you can solve this issue w/ a middle name the middle name can be the khmer name. Just a thought.
I did this with my son, first name English, middle name Khmer. When he meets Khmers he just uses his middle name (they still get it wrong), for westerners he's all good.
:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Took me a night with a good Khmer friend to come up with a good name. The conditions:

- not rude in Khmer
- not rude in my language
- Easily pronounceable in both languages
- can be written in both languages easily

Came back drunk but with a name. Only time ever I was welcomed by my wife while drunk.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Sue, if it's a boy..toughen him up that will..

TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:55 am
pczz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:47 am
Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:11 am
pczz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:45 am Surely the name dependson where the child isgoing to wind up living. I would choose a khmer name that is close to a falang name or can be shortened as a nickname in thewest.
Khmer can pronounce David, john, steve for boys. Lisa works as above, anita or go veh=gan and try apple
Day-wid and Stee-yoo are not barang names I would recommend that are easily pronounced by Khmers. John? Yep, safe as houses. Luke might also be a safe option.
not met a khmer yet who couldn't manage my godson. usually pronounced as da-vid, which oddly is the same as the welsh say it :-) brings us to a different subject relly, pronunciation in english is anll its forms
As a Welshman, it's Da-fydd. Let's not split hairs :lol:

One of those names (David/Steve) is mine, and never, ever been pronounced right. The other is a "nephew" and also never been pronounced right in my earshot. Lucky that Dar-Vid is getting close to correct. One day, we'll tame and train the natives :hattip:

I honestly think Luke would be a good name for a boy though. Someone earlier suggested Lina for a girl, and I like that one too.

My wife just vetoed Luke. She says it means "catch" or "grab" in Khmer?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I was going to suggest Number 1 Kid as a name - but then I realised that Number one is already a well-known brand. :facepalm:
Just jesting. Good luck with the research.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

I would limit the English name to 2 syllables. This will help your wife's family to pronounce it. We spent ages coming up with my daughter's English name as we wanted everyone to be able to pronounce it without it grating. Good luck!
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

How bout Covid? Seems to work in most languages. Think of it as a spin on David
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic