Medical insurance for extension of ER Visa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: Medical insurance for extension of ER Visa?

Post by one_dolla »

pczz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 am Interesting italy ran out of iTU and ventilators. It has the most per capita of any country in europe. Uk has the least of any developed country in europe, per capita and the least number of itu beds. We also donot have the right euipment for the medics to wear.
And a nudge for the unsung heros. the supermarket staff who are seeing hundreds of people daily within 2 feet of their face with no protective gear atall. A few supermarkets are now belatedly fitting perspex screens
A Dawawin store(mini mart) in Kampot fitted such a screen two weeks ago.........................
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Medical insurance for extension of ER Visa?

Post by Doc67 »

pczz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:02 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:49 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:22 pm
Fourkinnel wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:07 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Whether the Cambodian hospitals can save your life or not is another question. IMO, foreigners should really have some health insurance sorted to pay for treatment if necessary, and not rely on Cambodia's health care system to pay for us when there is not enough to go around for Khmers.
Please tell us which affordable insurance will cover for a pandemic in a third world country. And if they had it wouldn't they still have to take up Cambodia's health care time and bed spaces.
Good point, I wonder too if there are any left that will cover a pandemic now..

Re the free treatment for foreigners, I saw this on another topic which suggests only certain public hospitals would do so (the source of that info is not mentioned however):
The Cambodian Ministry of Health has designated three hospitals in Phnom Penh (Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital, National Pediatric Hospital, and Kantha Bopha Hospital), and 25 Provincial Referral Hospitals as medical facilities that can order a test for, and treat, suspected cases of COVID-19.
post407857.html#p407857

If that is the case, then presumably if you had insurance you would stay in a better, private hospital such as Royal Phnom Penh..
My Globality policy makes no exclusions for pandemics.

I checked specifically with the agent AG Cambodia in February when all this crap started to get real and someone said there are always exclusions since SARS.

Whether you can still get such a policy is another matter.
Check the wording carefully. it may not exclude pandemics but it may exclude entering countries where against the advice of a government or agency such as the British Foreign office or the CDC in the states. In another thread I showed this clause in a nomads poilicy which otherwise loked as if it covered you.
Also check where you can be takne to for treatment. maybe nearst country with relevant medical facilites and notback home. You can die in thailand when your medical insurance runs out
I take your point, and I'm no fan of insurance. My policy is currently running at $165 a month and I'm stuck in London with the NHS and all private medical facilities stripped of all NHS staff and quite like going to be dragooned into use.
It seems hardly worth keeping it if this drags on for more than a couple of months.

The problem with insurance is when things go very bad very quickly they can become overwhelmed, like the health systems, and they just stop paying out (as a prime example the Landlord rent guarantee policies in the UK are now closing their doors to new claims, before the big wave of claims have even started, citing new Govt rules preventing repossession.)

They quickly do the maths and work out they either stop honouring claims or go broke. What CEO is going to opt for the latter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic