coping with lockdown

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: coping with lockdown

Post by Freightdog »

In that photo, they haven’t even tried maximize use of space. I’ve been in a situation in the past where we parked much closer. The last aircraft to land parking on the runway.

There’ll be a lot of spaces being used up. The bigger issue will be trying to keep them all serviceable- checks that need to be completed periodically, aircraft that need hanger time. It might seem like the ideal time to do the maintenance, except they might not be able to get to it.

Paris was getting interesting- in the cargo area, we were down to one taxy route. The other was ad-hoc parking for Air France.
It’s a slightly unnerving sight.

Cargo is pretty busy, and a week or so ago, a contact in Asia mentioned that a passenger flight only operated because it was carrying a large cargo load. Otherwise, it would have been cancelled. Lucky pax.

Most airlines are still operating their cargo ops, I believe. But while we are busy, I’m sure the boffins have been working out how to optimise the freight loads.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Slightly ironic- a certain colonial demopublican is bashing his pro-home trump drum with gusto, but then proclaims how he is to spend his $1200 stimulus windfall in a foreign locale.

I guess democracy and patriotism are fine so long as everyone agrees with one viewpoint?

Maybe venting on the same subject at every opportunity is how some people cope!

As you were.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:41 pm Most airlines are still operating their cargo ops, I believe. But while we are busy, I’m sure the boffins have been working out how to optimise the freight loads.
I reckon that's the case, I've got some stuff incoming via Singapore and it has been held there for a couple of days already - I'm assuming once there's "enough" cargo, it'll fly in on an empty Silk Air flight, or via another dedicated cargo carrier perhaps. Usually it'd be dispatched within 24 hours, so for sure there's some optimisation happening.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The problem (I imagine) is less about the aircraft availability- Singapore has dedicated cargo operations, as do any others, and according to contacts in the industry, cargo is quite busy worldwide.
The bigger issue based on recent reports is getting the freight loaded into containers in the sorting centres due reduced staff, and then getting that to the aircraft, and loaded onboard.

Our 737 op is busy. Once we’ve established how an aircraft should be loaded (takes a couple of minutes), it normally takes about 10-15 minutes to load the main cargo deck. It’s all in containers.
However, due reduced staff, it’s taking slightly longer in some places. Or, as in the case of one customer, they simply weren’t able to load the cargo into the containers at all, so that route got suspended.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

If anyone is bored you should watch this:

[youtube][/youtube]

It will teach you how to survive the end of the world.

I would recommend The Beach too, but it's going to be a lot worse.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

Well I am trapped in the states I would be on a flight right now to PP had this insanity hadn't struck. Currently considered an essential worker so nothing much has changed for me besides disinfecting the heck out of everything and being a bit depressed my plans were cancelled.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

always look on bright side
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

World of Warcraft have double exp for April. I’ve started playing again after at least seven years and it’s a lot of fun.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I've never been a prolific reader but given my cancelled first ever trip to Vietnam next week I decided the next best thing was to reread a book I bought 20 odd years ago as I prepared for my first foray around SE Asia, " Romancing Vietnam" by Justin Wintle. I never made it there during that trip either.

Hadn't had a drink since the start of April, but with the possibility of following in Bangkok's footsteps with a total booze ban I picked up a case of beer yesterday. A couple of hours at the pool with 5 others for a bit of social sanity every day followed by a couple of balcony sundowners, a lot to be grateful for.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:32 pm The problem (I imagine) is less about the aircraft availability- Singapore has dedicated cargo operations, as do any others, and according to contacts in the industry, cargo is quite busy worldwide.
The bigger issue based on recent reports is getting the freight loaded into containers in the sorting centres due reduced staff, and then getting that to the aircraft, and loaded onboard.

Our 737 op is busy. Once we’ve established how an aircraft should be loaded (takes a couple of minutes), it normally takes about 10-15 minutes to load the main cargo deck. It’s all in containers.
However, due reduced staff, it’s taking slightly longer in some places. Or, as in the case of one customer, they simply weren’t able to load the cargo into the containers at all, so that route got suspended.
Some cargo holds are pressurised, right? Would it be posisble to bung a few people in amongst the cargo for emergency repatriations?
Ihate flying so maybe after the virus they will pu us all to sleepat the airport and seal up in life suport units to maintain social distancing. COuld get a few more passenger on that way and we would no have to suffer the drudge of 8 hour plus flights :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic