Prayers and Cultural Traditions to Beat the Coronavirus

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Prayers and Cultural Traditions to Beat the Coronavirus

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

As Coronavirus Spreads in the Kingdom, Cambodians Turn to Cultural Traditions
27 March 2020
Sokummono Khan
Nem Sopheakpanha

PHNOM PENH — Ty Reaksmey took a few days off earlier this week to prepare his family for the increasing spread of the coronavirus in Cambodia. That didn’t stop him and his family from going to the Wat Kol Tor Teng, on the outskirts of the city and along the Bassac River, to take part in a nationwide blessing ceremony.

The Cambodian monks’ council last week called for all pagodas in the country to beat drums and chant prayers to bless all Cambodians, as they deal with the viral pandemic.

Reaksmey and his family attended the ceremony, diligently wearing face masks. They joined the dozens of monks to meditate and chant prayers.

“According to Dharma, we will all eventually die. I am trying to cope with the panic in me so that it doesn’t reduce my quality of work or standard of living,” Ty Reaksmey said.

Small spray bottles filled with alcohol are seen all around the pagoda, routinely used to sanitize hands. Apart from the Ty family, there no more than a dozen people participating in the ceremony.

Chief monks across the country had asked the public to not attend these blessing ceremonies because the government had banned religious gatherings.

At the wat, monks dressed in saffron robes and laymen and laywomen in pristine white garbs sit in neat rows chanting Buddhist prayers. All the while, smartphones livestream the proceedings to the believers across the country.

Outside the central hall of the pagoda, more monks and laypeople, of all ages, sit on purple squares of material on the white stone floors, again in well-distanced rows chanting along.

“Every pagoda does this to pray for happiness and to sweep away that disease, making it disappear,” said 70-year-old laywoman Saing Yoeun.

Being a relatively modest pagoda, the monotonous, punctuated sound of a small copper bell reverberates across the wat’s premises. For the next hour, all that can be heard at the pagoda is the drone of dozens of voices, chanting in unison.

Chief of Monk Venerable Phoung Sovann said the prayers and drum beating were only for inner peace and to help people deal with the pandemic spiritually.

He added it was important people follow instructions of the Ministry of Health and other global recommendations for staying safe against COVID-19, especially maintaining good hygiene.
https://www.voacambodia.com/a/as-corona ... 48141.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Prayers and Cultural Traditions to Beat the Coronavirus

Post by phuketrichard »

which leads me to ask, as most countries large groups gathering together is banned
will;
Ramadan, Passover & Easter be cancelled this year?
as all fall next month

I'd say very good chance they will be and if not, than they should be
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Balinese Nyepi should be the world fashion for a while.

The day of Nyepi is the day when the demons come down to earth, so Balineses stay at home so they don't cross them, otherwise terrible things might happen.

Go Nyepi, world !
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I noticed a very sharp increase in ting mongs out in the countryside the other day. Cambodians are safe! Image
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

My wife has been listening to a long-dead Burmese kruu teay (fortune teller), apparently, who said this virus will be over in a couple of months, and the planet's real problems lie in a soon-to-occur earthquake that will happen in an unknown place. This isn't much different to what she usually did in pre-viral times, however.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

funny that ppl are shit scared of corona but driving like idiots is acceptable
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:26 pm I noticed a very sharp increase in ting mongs out in the countryside the other day. Cambodians are safe!
good idea will adopt in my hoem country string up a few politicians
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic