Virus vs Economy

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Virus vs Economy

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

I guess this applies to every country in the world as opposed to just Cambodia, but it will happen here too (probably worse when you look at the numbers)

A couple of quick examples before we start:

1 - A young girl in the UK commited suicide because she couldn't handle the thought of being in lockdown alone.
2 - A nurse commited suicide because she was ashamed she might have passed COVID-19 onto her patients.

If the world keeps these lockdowns in place long term at the expense of the ecomony, do you think we'll see the number of suicides reach the number or COVID-19 deaths due to people not being able to pay their bills, feed their kids, save their marriage, ect?

At what point do we need to realize saving the ecomony isn't just about not losing money, but saving the lives of people who will commit suicide + stopping millions of people from becoming completely destitute?

Cambodia might be a bit safer because it does seem like they have a much better family support system in place to help shelter/feed each other etc.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Virus vs Economy

Post by John Bingham »

Sounds kind of familiar. Didn't Donald Trump say the exact same thing a few days ago?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oronavirus
Silence, exile, and cunning.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:42 pm I guess this applies to every country in the world as opposed to just Cambodia, but it will happen here too (probably worse when you look at the numbers)

1 - A young girl in the UK commited suicide because she couldn't handle the thought of being in lockdown alone.
2 - A nurse commited suicide because she was ashamed she might have passed COVID-19 onto her patients.

If the world keeps these lockdowns in place long term at the expense of the ecomony, do you think we'll see the number of suicides reach the number or COVID-19 deaths due to people not being able to pay their bills, feed their kids, save their marriage, ect?

At what point do we need to realize saving the ecomony isn't just about not losing money, but saving the lives of people who will commit suicide + stopping millions of people from becoming completely destitute?

Cambodia might be a bit safer because it does seem like they have a much better family support system in place to help shelter/feed each other etc.
Shit will hit the fan soon in the KoW. There is lots of anecdotal evidence that it has already started. I don’t subscribe to the notion that its safer because of the better family support system. Under the surface there is no empathy. The thousands who lost their jobs and income in the past weeks and returned home to their provinces are already overstaying their welcome and are running out of the megre savings. Many of them are hugly indebted and their failure to repay loans will set off chain reactions.
Letting tourists in, however, is unlikely to happen and even if that thing goes away, there won’t be any significant upswing anytime soon.
For many currently still employed in the manufacturing industry the trouble is just starting. Almost all Western brands have nixed their orders.
YuWong
Tourist
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by YuWong »

I think western democracies will insure their populations do not become destitute. Hence the multi trillion dollar bill just passed in America. Thailand and Korea have exceptionally high suicide rates and yet very different standards of living. I am sure mental health problems will raise both in caregivers and in the self qurentined. What are you suggesting, stop lock downs and let the virus take it's course. Will the economy improve if hospitals are overflowing and shopping becomes a risk of death? I Don t think we have much choice but lock down however if the followers of the POTUS who espouse sacrificing lives for the 1% get their way we will see if "your" train of thought is correct. More teen aged girls have committed suicide over teenage boys than have over lock down. More nurses have commuted suicide over debt problems than Covid19.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:09 pm Sounds kind of familiar. Didn't Donald Trump say the exact same thing a few days ago?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oronavirus
It sounds like common sense, I'd imagine more than 50% of people must be thinking it.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

theKid wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:22 pm
SiemReapRoddy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:42 pm I guess this applies to every country in the world as opposed to just Cambodia, but it will happen here too (probably worse when you look at the numbers)

Shit will hit the fan soon in the KoW. There is lots of anecdotal evidence that it has already started. I don’t subscribe to the notion that its safer because of the better family support system. Under the surface there is no empathy. The thousands who lost their jobs and income in the past weeks and returned home to their provinces are already overstaying their welcome and are running out of the megre savings. Many of them are hugly indebted and their failure to repay loans will set off chain reactions.
Letting tourists in, however, is unlikely to happen and even if that thing goes away, there won’t be any significant upswing anytime soon.
For many currently still employed in the manufacturing industry the trouble is just starting. Almost all Western brands have nixed their orders.
That is terrible about the lack of empathy, it sounds a lot more serious than I thought.

All the supermarkets in the UK are looking for staff to keep shelves stocked. Maybe there is a similar sort of job Cambodians can do. Or they might have to start growing more of their own food and begging for an extension for their loans.

Tourists will at least let resturants etc survive. Maybe some time in April we will see how this thing is doing in regards to deaths.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

YuWong wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:23 pm I think western democracies will insure their populations do not become destitute. Hence the multi trillion dollar bill just passed in America. Thailand and Korea have exceptionally high suicide rates and yet very different standards of living. I am sure mental health problems will raise both in caregivers and in the self qurentined. What are you suggesting, stop lock downs and let the virus take it's course. Will the economy improve if hospitals are overflowing and shopping becomes a risk of death? I Don t think we have much choice but lock down however if the followers of the POTUS who espouse sacrificing lives for the 1% get their way we will see if "your" train of thought is correct. More teen aged girls have committed suicide over teenage boys than have over lock down. More nurses have commuted suicide over debt problems than Covid19.
I'm suggesting we keep the lockdown in place until the curve flattens, we can work out if we've had the virus and can catch it again, and if COVID-19 will explode in SE Asia like it has in China, Europe, UK.

And start opening things up again as opposed to 6 months down the line if it's going in our favor.
YuWong
Tourist
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by YuWong »

Let me guess, it is "your" thought that we should all be back to work by Easter Sunday as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

There are already rumblings in the UK about the virtue or wisdom of pushing the economy off a cliff and saddling the nation with debts that will need huge tax increases and another decade of serious austerity.

I reckon the UK government has about a month of widespread full cooperation. Past that it will be increasingly difficult to enforce. The numbers coming out of Italy are clearly showing the high, i.e. 20%+, mortality rates are exclusively in the 70+ with multiple pre-existing conditions. Once you look at the number for the under 50's of good health and people are going to say enough is enough.

If economies can get the sub 50's demographic back to work, the 50-70's can be managed on a risk assessment basis. 53 and fit and healthy? work if you want to or hide away - your call. 67 with heart disease and diabetes? best you stay where you are.

Nations need an exit plan to this lock down; sitting indoors playing the fiddle while Rome is burning isn't going to work.

I suspect this virus is already widespread and many have had it already, so: TESTING TESTING TESTING...
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

YuWong wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:19 pm

Let me guess, it is "your" thought that we should all be back to work by Easter Sunday as well.
Not at all, and i apologise if it came across that way. I guess I’m simply saying that there isn’t a good ending either way.
(I haven’t even stopped working, actually)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic