Virus vs Economy

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Virus vs Economy

Post by Clemen »

404FreedomNotFound wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:28 am
Clemen wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:57 pm "Moderate social distancing yields $8 trillion in economic benefits, study finds"
"But in many respects, the either-or choice is a false one. A new working paper from Michael Greenstone and Vishan Nigam of the University of Chicago’s Becker Friedman Institute for Economics underscores that the two goals are complementary. A regimen of moderate social distancing, like what many areas of the country are doing now, has the potential to save well over a million lives.

And those saved lives are worth $8 trillion to the U.S. economy"
Full: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/m ... li=BBnbfcN
This estimate the worth of a human life at 11.5 million $, if you wanna save lives, I'm sure you can do better than 1 life with that kind of money if you forget about covid-19 and looked at other much more deadly issue which can be solved with such money, and surely, the lives you would save wouldn't be in the same age category.

Not long ago I met some ktv girls and bar girls who were working to pay the hospital bills of their parents. I'm sure you'd save more than 1 life by fucking 11.5 million$ worth of KTV chicks.

And on a more serious note :

https://www.globalgiving.org/learn/how- ... ld-hunger/
"Estimates of how much money it would take to end world hunger range from $7 billion to $265 billion per year. " This same article you posted range the confinement to multiple trillion in the USA alone!!

https://www.theworldcounts.com/challeng ... -each-year
9 millions hunger death per year.

And that's not even taking into account cheaper way to save lives from so many issues other than hunger where all we are lacking is money.

So if you are sitting on a couple trillion $ would rather saves hundreds of millions of young people, or less than 2 million mostly old american and obese geezers many of which will die not much longer later.
Why are you quoting me? You took one figure out of the article, then posed a straw man.
The thread is virus vs economy, not who would you save with X dollars.
You are an irritating sock
up to you...
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

@Clemen
Sorry, the thread creator clearly asked :
"At what point do we need to realize saving the ecomony isn't just about not losing money, but saving the lives of people who will commit suicide + stopping millions of people from becoming completely destitute?"

To which you posted an 8 trillion benefit to the US economy based on an estimate of 1.71millions prevented death at 11.5$ million a head in exchange for multiple trillion dollars spent. which supposedly would balance the economic effect of fighting the virus. I was just saying this article is a bullshit answer to the thread initial question, and it's title is misleading.
Sorry if I disrespected you directly, it wasn't my intention, my critic were directed at the article you both linked and described in your comment, not at you directly, nor linking that article means you support it. I can edit the post in order to replace all the "you" for a more impersonal word.

Also let me remind you that the article you linked does not say how much the virus affect the economy, it says how social distancing economy impact is balanced by lives said, which makes all the more justified to answer "who would you save with X dollars." when confronted with a document saying social distancing is a viable economical solution using 11.5$ million a head without even pondering it towards the health condition and age of people saved.

Once again sorry for the personal nature of the word I've chosen, only the article is meant to be subject to my critics, not you, any link and new information posted is beneficial.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

https://metro-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/ ... 2491808%2F

Some more convincing and well thought out ideas to counterbalance the hysteria. Again, economic Armageddon has to be coming and all for what appears that be no worse than a seasonal flu.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as they have stated on cnn, msnbc,even fox.
saving a human life is worth tanking the economy cause without those human lives whats the economy worth ?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:37 pm as they have stated on cnn, msnbc,even fox.
saving a human life is worth tanking the economy cause without those human lives whats the economy worth ?
I don't think many people disagree with this statement. But the economy is merely a tool used so that people are enticed to produce goods and serve the community. Regardless of how efficient our economy is at doing that, not having one means that many people are not working instead of producing services and goods that are the reason for which some people wake up every morning and spend their day fulfilling tasks such as making the parts required to build ventilators. The people in the EU under ventilator are able to afford those treatment thanks to free health care and because their country bought those ventilators. And their country have a free health-care and thousands of ventilators because their fellow country-man spent those previous years stacking up money in the country's vault mainly via non-essential services and products. The same could be said in the USA despite not having the same type of free health care, as a favorable economical situation increases good health access over there as well.

And when the economy tank, the sick, elders, poor, and all vulnerable people are hit the worst.
https://www.theworldcounts.com/challeng ... of-poverty

It seems that the good old $ isn't that bad at saving lives from covid-19 according to the world health organization as well.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... 019/donate

There is a difference in between spending on health, and staying at home playing video games while the economy tanks.

As from a purely westerner point of view : Non-Essential services is mostly what westerners country do. And one would rather stay on the giving side of those donation campaigns, rather than the receiving side.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic