Virus vs Economy

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Virus vs Economy

Post by Yerg »

Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Trump made things worse by firing the pandemic response team, saying the virus situation was a hoax, taking no action for a month and now out bidding the states for supplies.

He has now done worse than nothing and owns the outcome.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Trump never said the virus was a hoax. AOC said that in an interview. The reporter repeated that statement without fact checking AOC and later found out it was a lie. More fake news coming out from the left and their puppet media.
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Cricket99 »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:58 pm Trump never said the virus was a hoax. AOC said that in an interview. The reporter repeated that statement without fact checking AOC and later found out it was a lie. More fake news coming out from the left and their puppet media.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

The ABC's take on it
"So who's right and who's wrong? The "full lock-downers" or the "gradual steppers"?

It's difficult to know at this point, but it's not fair to accuse those dissenting from the Government's position of playing politics. This is a legitimate debate.

It must also be acknowledged that weighing these risks and making these decisions is an unenviable task. It's too early to judge whether the Prime Minister has made the right call."

Full: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03- ... y/12098358
up to you...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yerg wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am
j57 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:10 am very interesting to read people who have freedom of speech tout about the virtues of communism.
the world has seen how many hundreds of millions exterminated by communist regimes?
How many babies alone were exterminated during the commie one child policy?
Follow these murdering, lying maniacs off the cliff.
Turn over your guns and join the flock of sheeple.
The rest of the World is going to get back to work and those who put in the extra effort will be rewarded.
I watch the Khmer people work and eke out the best they can under incredibly difficult conditions.
Meanwhile, the globalist's sheeple bad mouth Trump and Capitalism and buying a home.
Did any other country just send Naval hospital ships to 2 wuhan chinese virus hotspots?
Trump did... California and New York are getting them...2 states that did not vote for him.
I watched how well trained Khmer capitalists carried on during this pandemic when I went to buy beef from New Zealand, buffalo from India, pork ribs from the USA and mozzarella from Italy yesterday.
Precautions were taken by the front gate and all staff and my purchase was welcomed and I could not of been more impressed.
I also found out that I would be getting a direct deposit of $1200us stimulus in a few weeks.
Thanks President Trump!
I will SPEND IT IN CAMBODIA HELPING CAMBODIAN BUSINESSES STAY AFLOAT!
Okay SHOUTY Mc-SHOUTFACE. We get it. MAGA. MCGA Doesn't quite have the same ring, but I get your point!!!

I could HAVE said many different things, but I'll guess we'll leave it at that.

Title is Virus vs, Economy, not a party political broadcast for whatever non-entity you believe in. Why can't politics be left out of it?
That name might just stick...
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

number of dead caused by Corona:

the best approach is to to look at the average dead per month over the last ten years and compare that figure with the actual dead per month. That will probably give you the best idea on how many people die because of the virus (and not only beeing tested positive and die because of other health issues.)

The major of Bergamo (one of the hardest hit places in Italy) has done that and the result was (period: march 1st to march 24th)

long term average deaths last 10 years in this period: 98
actual deaths march 1st to 24th 2020: 448
reported deaths: 136 (those tested positive)

The difference of 312 MUST also be related to Corona meaning that the officially reported figures are by FAR underestimated.

Now I really would like to see those figures for every area of Italy and I fear that such a figures would produce more panic than there already is.

mortality rate:

Those countries with mortality rates above 10% (Italy/Spain) surely have more positive cases than officially comunicated resulting in an overestimated mortality. Those countries with very low mortality rates have done much more testing per million habitants and thus show underestimated figures. The real figure may only be known after recurring events (yearly) and long term statistical data. So far it is an estimate with an error rate of 3-4% and thus not giving any precise information.

economy:

Instead of shutting down the whole economy it should be considered to completely isolate the risk group of people 60+ and let the other ones get it and get over it as with normal influenza. Hope that the world will produce a vaccine or a successful cure soon enough to prevent future infections or recovery is essential in this scenario.

the elderly is the ones who die (valid for Italy):

A "normal" day here in my region (the second hardest hit) shows (data from march 28th):

source: http://www.regione.marche.it/News-ed-Ev ... -ore-18-00

no dead under 60 and all but one had serious preconditions (last row)

the good news:

Families values have become very strong again. We stand together and help each other as never before. Community values have risen. So many new volunteers around that do great things to help others. After not seeing my friends for almost two weeks I miss the personal interaction (social media helps but is no substitute) and I have realized how important they are for a balanced life. Money comes and goes but united we will overcome any adversity and create positive change.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Apexisto
Expatriate
Finland

Post by Apexisto »

It's more like virus vs. freedom because a little flu is being used to isolate people, to make governments stronger and more fascist, the economy suffers because governments want you to stop using your property and freedoms to make something useful for all. Instead, they want to say what to do and say, where to go, not to even have fun because young people with flu is so damn serious now. The fear is effective motivator for control and terror. Since the virus is creating more fear and deaths you don't need to be genius to see how totalitarianism and fascism reign over freedoms and economy. People should learn to grow some balls and take full responsibility of their health: if you are in the risk group, stay then at home and try to come stronger. And if you are not in a risk group: then do your duties and have good life, and take care of the people that are in the risk group.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Cricket99 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:30 pm
Cooldude wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:58 pm Trump never said the virus was a hoax. AOC said that in an interview. The reporter repeated that statement without fact checking AOC and later found out it was a lie. More fake news coming out from the left and their puppet media.
There really is a tweet or video for everything 8)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

truffledog wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:05 pm number of dead caused by Corona:

the best approach is to to look at the average dead per month over the last ten years and compare that figure with the actual dead per month. That will probably give you the best idea on how many people die because of the virus (and not only beeing tested positive and die because of other health issues.)

The major of Bergamo (one of the hardest hit places in Italy) has done that and the result was (period: march 1st to march 24th)

long term average deaths last 10 years in this period: 98
actual deaths march 1st to 24th 2020: 448
reported deaths: 136 (those tested positive)

The difference of 312 MUST also be related to Corona meaning that the officially reported figures are by FAR underestimated.

Now I really would like to see those figures for every area of Italy and I fear that such a figures would produce more panic than there already is.

mortality rate:

Those countries with mortality rates above 10% (Italy/Spain) surely have more positive cases than officially comunicated resulting in an overestimated mortality. Those countries with very low mortality rates have done much more testing per million habitants and thus show underestimated figures. The real figure may only be known after recurring events (yearly) and long term statistical data. So far it is an estimate with an error rate of 3-4% and thus not giving any precise information.

economy:

Instead of shutting down the whole economy it should be considered to completely isolate the risk group of people 60+ and let the other ones get it and get over it as with normal influenza. Hope that the world will produce a vaccine or a successful cure soon enough to prevent future infections or recovery is essential in this scenario.

the elderly is the ones who die (valid for Italy):

A "normal" day here in my region (the second hardest hit) shows (data from march 28th):

source: http://www.regione.marche.it/News-ed-Ev ... -ore-18-00

no dead under 60 and all but one had serious preconditions (last row)

the good news:

Families values have become very strong again. We stand together and help each other as never before. Community values have risen. So many new volunteers around that do great things to help others. After not seeing my friends for almost two weeks I miss the personal interaction (social media helps but is no substitute) and I have realized how important they are for a balanced life. Money comes and goes but united we will overcome any adversity and create positive change.
I agree with the economy section. Start with -30's in good health and wait a week or 2 and mass testing. Then -40's, 2 weeks and more testing, and so on...
In a month or two the virus will die out or mass immunity will begin with a few casualties along the way.

Question: Are older Italians who are sick and at home with their family choosing to stay quiet and try to survive it at home because of fear of isolation in their final hours in those grim panic ridden hospitals?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic