American former Kampot and Siem Reap expat “stranded” in Suriname with Cambodian girlfriend and her kids

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: American former Kampot and Siem Reap expat “stranded” in Suriname with Cambodian girlfriend and her kids

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:55 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:52 am In better times, with better governments citizens had an automatic right to bring their family home. Sadly the system was abused and most countries donot allow this anymore
I'm not sure this was ever really the case. Until just a few decades ago there was very little worldwide travel, so it may have been feasible then. At the same time there were far fewer embassies.
Itwas the case in the uk and most of western europe. What happened was large numbers of people entered into fake marriages to get into the uk so they stopped it. It is still possible in some countries. I beleive any greek citizen is allowed by law to bring his foreign wife home
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Re: American former Kampot and Siem Reap expat “stranded” in Suriname with Cambodian girlfriend and her kids

Post by Josh_76 »

numacsys wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am He should have stayed put in Cambodia, ...
He has claimed this: "My annual request of work and work permit were denied, forcing me to flee Cambodia before becoming an illegal alien.”

He's a right Don Quijote, always fighting against hostile entities in his mind - that "it's us 4 against the world" comment says it all. Either he pissed off the immigration department or convinced himself he had to leave while plenty of Americans or other Whiteys have no issue getting another 1 year stay, all around him.

I remember him posting on that Kampot FB group that he was moving to Suriname, as things would be better there for them. Gave me a weird feeling in my gut - I've never heard of anyone ever moving there, that wasn't Dutch - but I assumed he had researched this well.

Shocking, what he dragged the kids into. Not hating on him but maybe therapy might be a good idea after he manages to survive this clusterfuck of epic proportions.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

After a spat between the U.S. and Chinese embassies within Cambodia, the U.S. dropped its $60 million of annual aid money, and it was replaced by China’s $600 million with no strings attached.

“We had a small successful restaurant, but with the Chinese investment came the easing of Chinese work permits and the tightening of American work permits. My annual request of work and work permit were denied, forcing me to flee Cambodia before becoming an illegal alien.”

What a load of bollocks! All he had to do was register his business, get the right visa EOS and WP. Shit...he could've even paid an agent to do it all for him. He was advised accordingly several times but refused to heed the advice given.

I remember him posting that there was some sort of Cambodian Government conspiracy against him after being told he had to remove his Rasta flag (may have actually been the Ethiopian flag, can't quite remember) from wherever it was hanging (may have been his window). He was a facebook drama queen, always something to do with the Cambodian Government and his rights been abused.

I do like his method of learning Khmer though, he could have made a decent living purely off teaching foreigners using his methods. Apparently he still teaches it online or youtube or something?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Is there a link to his Khmer learning method? What does his method entail?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I'll try and find a link, he used to post on FB. He had come up with a phoenetics system which was actually really easy to understand for native English speakers from what I remember, I actually considered paying him for lessons which is saying something 'cause I'm a right tight-ass when it comes to spending money on myself.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:51 pm I'll try and find a link, he used to post on FB. He had come up with a phoenetics system which was actually really easy to understand for native English speakers from what I remember, I actually considered paying him for lessons which is saying something 'cause I'm a right tight-ass when it comes to spending money on myself.
I'd be interested too
Still here, in country...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

It was all going so well...

And then...

No criticism here, but whenever you move to a third world country where there is no rule of law and corruption is endemic, you should not be surprized if the rules suddenly change.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

There is a tendency for these types to hold everyone accountable except themselves.
My Give-a-fuckometer is barely registering movement....
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Josh_76 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:55 pm
numacsys wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:20 am He should have stayed put in Cambodia, ...
He has claimed this: "My annual request of work and work permit were denied, forcing me to flee Cambodia before becoming an illegal alien.”

He's a right Don Quijote, always fighting against hostile entities in his mind - that "it's us 4 against the world" comment says it all. Either he pissed off the immigration department or convinced himself he had to leave while plenty of Americans or other Whiteys have no issue getting another 1 year stay, all around him.

I remember him posting on that Kampot FB group that he was moving to Suriname, as things would be better there for them. Gave me a weird feeling in my gut - I've never heard of anyone ever moving there, that wasn't Dutch - but I assumed he had researched this well.

Shocking, what he dragged the kids into. Not hating on him but maybe therapy might be a good idea after he manages to survive this clusterfuck of epic proportions.
First hes got to survive those dreadlocks or that man bun hes got wrapped in that purple towel!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The guy is a total asshat and the only sad thing about all this is that he managed to drag the Khmer woman and her child into his mess.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic