Porcupine Meat and Other Wildlife Seized in Pursat

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Porcupine Meat and Other Wildlife Seized in Pursat

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Porcupine BBQ
Cambodia News (Pursat): On March 26, 2020, at 11:20 am, the Pursat Royal Gendarmerie and the NGO Wildlife Alliance cracked down on wildlife meat trafficking in Krokor district, Pursat.
The police confiscated 24,50 kg of porcupine meat, 18 kg venison, two wild pigs, two porcupine stomaches, and other wild animal skin. The wildmeat was burnt by police, and the trafficking suspect has been arrested.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Porcupine Meat and Other Wildlife Seized in Pursat

Post by AndyKK »

I have a question if any one knows the answer. Wildlife meat trafficking, where does it go and who would buy it?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 pm I have a question if any one knows the answer. Wildlife meat trafficking, where does it go and who would buy it?
Locals eat it. I was given some jungle cat as a beer snack.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 pm I have a question if any one knows the answer. Wildlife meat trafficking, where does it go and who would buy it?
Hey AKK-47 :hattip: . You may well have had it it from one of those roadside taxi stops. Very common to be in one of those pots.
Restaurants, everywhere.

One good thing, if we can call it that, is that it shows there is still a lot of life in the bush. But not for very long at this rate of eating.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:31 pm
Hey AKK-47 :hattip: . You may well have had it it from one of those roadside taxi stops. Very common to be in one of those pots.
Restaurants, everywhere.

One good thing, if we can call it that, is that it shows there is still a lot of life in the bush. But not for very long at this rate of eating.
I was thinking kind of on the same lines if the situation carries on, possibly shortage of food, or expense. Then people would hunt for survival.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm
I usually accompany my tinny of Cambodia's finest sweet beer with a bag of insects. :beer3:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Flock! i hadn't thought of that Andy.
In the past 20 years it seems to me that subsistence hunting has decreased as living standards have risen.
It is now mostly for the market, and the restaurants.

But sure, i can see all too well how in the tough times ahead Dad and the boys will be heading off into the bush with their snares and home made rifles - to survive.

But unfortunately it is a zero sum game now.
Only a few more dinners - means NO more wildlife for future generations.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm
not Jungle cat > Leopard cat
for beer snacks
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Turn these villagers loose in the USA for pigs and deer. Feed the whole country.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

That is true. Wild - and they would not even need those ridiculously over-tech'ed rifles and all the add-ons that US/Western hunters seem to think they need.
Cambodians are far too smart in the bush to need all that.

It also shows that if a country has good, science based, wildlife conservation, like USA
,combined with good, uncorrupted, wildlife cops - there is enough for everybody.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic