mask up!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

mask up!

Post by fazur »

on the way to the doctor this morning (remove cast on my arm) saw so many foreigners without masks

wtf is wrong with these people

woman walking a dog, guy strolling down the road, woman with two small kids, no masks

please tell ur friends to wear masks, locals are getting a bit annoyed with foreigners, right or wrong
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: mask up!

Post by WildA »

If you arent sick, the only reason to wear a mask is to placate the locals.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
BDT92
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BDT92 »

Wearing a mask does absolutely nothing! When are people going to understand that doctors and nurses are running out of masks worldwide? Meanwhile, all of these Asians are hogging up the masks. Medical professionals need masks, but the public does not need them unless they are sick. The local people are wrong for buying up all these masks. It gives them a false sense of security only. Meanwhile, they no nothing about keeping good hygiene. Don't buy masks! Please save them for the people who need them the most.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Wearing a mask does absolutely nothing, that’s why doctors and nurses wear them.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

medics need n95 masks, not surgical masks

regular surgical masks do not protect you
they protect everyone else from you

this is important since cv is infectious without symptoms
if everyone wears a mask transmission is reduced, according to studies

monstra mihi bona!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 am Wearing a mask does absolutely nothing, that’s why doctors and nurses wear them.
Doctors and nurses use the correct mask for the job, properly fitted and replaced when necessarry. People around the world are using the wrong masks which they do not replace when necessary.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I have started wearing a mask lately - not because I believe it will protect me, and nor do I (yet) show any signs of infection, but I have had several comments now by locals telling me that I should wear a mask and they look at me as if I'm solely responsible for creating the whole saga.

Arguing with them that masks do nothing to protect you is of no use whatsoever. As far as they're concerned, if you don't wear one you're just another dangerous foreigner who's ignorance is putting everyone else's life at risk.

Considering I'm now stuck here for the foreseeable and that attitudes towards foreigners are apparently on the turn, I have no desire to stir up additional bad feeling by not wearing a mask.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

No-one here in OZ wearing masks. I always wear one if in a shopping centre and have noticed that if someone else is wearing one, they are usually Asians .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

As the saying goes..
WHEN IN ROME...
It makes sense to wear a mask in public these days.
it was not too long ago that wearing masks was forbidden.
things change...
I wish I had an N95...for my wife and me.
That said..
If you touch a surface with the virus with your hands and then put on or take off a mask...you are in jeopardy.
Masks are good in that if you are asymptomatic and sneeze in public the mask will protect others.
You may feel great...but, have the chinese virus.
Years ago, the wearing of gloves in kitchens was a rarity. Then, more and more professionals began to wear them and eventually it became the standard.
But, you must change your gloves in order for this to work or you are just cross contaminating with the glove surface instead of your hands.
Most masks are about as good as those cheap plastic moto helmets people are now wearing to placate the police.
But, it is important to keep the calm.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I was in Phnom Penh last week and noticed that almost everybody was wearing a mask. The situation in Siem Reap however is very different. Some people wear masks but not a lot - I would say less than 50% of people are wearing masks. The funniest thing is seeing people who are totally alone (e.g. driving a car) wearing a mask.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic