mask up!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: mask up!

Post by Phnom Poon »

Josh_76 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:15 am WHO says no.
WHO public comments seem out of date with studies that show masks reduce transmission
they are then trying to balance against potential mask shortages for medics
(if masks don't work, why do medics need them anyway?)
and adding a paternal 'people can't be trusted to be responsible if they think masks work'

it wouldn't be the first time they are way behind the game

#WearAFuckingMask
please

preferably one you have already, or make
rather than buying one a medic could make much better use of

monstra mihi bona!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

3h ago 13:48
Surgeon general says CDC looking at mask guidance

The White House is reconsidering its previous guidance against widespread usage of face masks as the country’s coronavirus death toll continues to rise.

Surgeon general Jerome Adams told ABC News this morning. “We’ve learned there’s a fair amount of asymptomatic spread, and so we’ve asked the CDC to take another look at whether or not having more people wear masks will prevent transmission of the disease to other people.”

A little over a month ago, Adams was urging Americans to stop buying masks, warning the hoarding was putting medical professionals at risk.

Dr Anthony Fauci, the country’s top infectious disease expert, similarly said yesterday that it’s possible health officials will recommend more widespread mask usage if they can be assured it won’t cause supply issues for medical professionals.

The conversations indicate America may soon follow in the footsteps of countries like China and Italy, where mask usage was mandated as they fought the virus.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... 2a0e665eb5
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

I have seen very positive comments from the khmer people since I've started wearing a mask, and on the other hand, I can see clear discomfort in their stares where I don't. Many of the khmer people I know actually specifically told me they are happy I wear one, and wished more foreigner did. It does not have to be a pp5, anything in front of your mouth seems to be enough in their view. I think it is important especially for those of us who do not speak khmer and have a limited understanding of their culture to respect them, especially when it's that easy to do.

Also make sure to always sanitize your hands before entering stores (Or at least faking it with water sprays for those with skin conditions that cant use sanitizer h24), I can clearly see khmer people working in stores checking if people do so before entering or not, especially for foreigner, so it must matter to them.
By the way, please always use your own sanitizer AND NEVER USE the one they put a your disposal :
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50704522/4 ... d-in-raid/
https://cambodianess.com/article/the-ca ... sinfectant
(And many more bust of that kind)
Methanol is more dangerous than the covid-19.

A post should be created on where to buy safe hand sanitizer, and people should always use their own.

Anyway regardless on what you think about the necessity to do use mask and sanitizers, peaceful integration and respect of the locals social rules is important.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 am
Josh_76 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:15 am WHO says no.
WHO public comments seem out of date with studies that show masks reduce transmission
they are then trying to balance against potential mask shortages for medics
(if masks don't work, why do medics need them anyway?)
and adding a paternal 'people can't be trusted to be responsible if they think masks work'

it wouldn't be the first time they are way behind the game

#WearAFuckingMask
please

preferably one you have already, or make
rather than buying one a medic could make much better use of
Yeah, fuck the WHO, what do they know?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

This thread is like groundhog day, lol.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Last edited by Phnom Poon on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 pm Yeah, fuck the WHO, what do they know?
they know politics

monstra mihi bona!
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:02 pm #WearAFuckingMask
Why always include 'Fucking'? #WearAFaceMask perfectly communicates the message.

Are you Australian, by any chance?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

aussies toss that out as punctuation

i intend urgency and even anger
but also it's an established hashtag

monstra mihi bona!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Wear a mask
Latest on mask advice in the US, which has reported the highest daily national death toll of the pandemic so far.
US government authority the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now advises everyone to "wear a mask", Trump's wife urges people to "wear a mask", Trump says: “This is voluntary. I don’t think I’m going to be doing it. I’m feeling good” .

China mourns Covid-19 whistleblowers as Trump dismisses US face mask advice
Thousands of coronavirus victims are remembered in China, and Trump says he won’t follow US advice that all people should wear face masks in public
Graham Russell
Sat 4 Apr 2020 06.58 BST
Last modified on Sat 4 Apr 2020 07.15 BST

China has stopped to mourn the thousands who have died in the coronavirus outbreak, including “martyrs” such as whistleblower doctor Li Wenliang, while Donald Trump dismissed the advice of US health officials that all Americans should consider wearing masks in public.

In the US on Friday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued new guidance for people to wear bandannas, t-shirts and other cloth-based coverings in crowded areas, especially in hotspots, advice Trump said he would not follow.

“This is voluntary. I don’t think I’m going to be doing it,” he said. “I just don’t want to wear one myself. They say ‘recommendation’, they recommend it. I’m feeling good,” – a remark that ignored evidence that many virus carriers do not show symptoms.

His wife, Melania, later urged everyone to take the coronavirus measures seriously.
Melania Trump (@FLOTUS)

As the weekend approaches I ask that everyone take social distancing & wearing a mask/face covering seriously. #COVID19 is a virus that can spread to anyone - we can stop this together.
April 3, 2020
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ound-world
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic