mask up!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: mask up!

Post by fazur »

Apexisto wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:04 pm Only criminals use masks. My ancestors never let anybody with a mask nearby because they have hideous intentions and you have the full right to protect your rights against criminals. The only "mask" you need is your nose that has the most perfect filtration mechanism against microbes so use your nose. Even if you believe you are not a criminal, you are still because you are a criminal against Nature. Animals don't use masks. If you use one, you live in fear and that is against Nature too. A tiger eats a person if he is afraid, but if he stands tall and strong, tigers leave such gods in their peace. The same with microbes and other little flus, if you live your live to the fullest and happy, then your body is happy and very much immune all kinds of diseases. Besides, a happy pizza makes you happy and your health happy.
thats why surgeons wear them bcoz theyre stealing stuff while ur alseep, right?
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Apexisto wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:04 pm If you use one, you live in fear and that is against Nature too.
Fear is what keeps us alive, just listen to mike Tyson

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There are two arguments being presented in this topic.

One (possibly the second argument), based ostensibly on some rational thought- if you don’t know whether you are a carrier or not, then wear a mask. Well, ok, but not everyone is doing so, and many who are, are not doing so properly.

The other argument is based merely on perceptions on how we as foreigners might be perceived by the locals for not following local tradition*/norms/paranoia. Showing solidarity, etc.
I guess wearing a mask is not so bad (it does also make isolation slightly more tolerable an idea) but would you want to sacrifice a goat or a chicken yourself if that was what the locals would normally do in a situation they don’t understand? Just to show solidarity?

*its not really traditional, more an affectation.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I have noticed my girlfriend and her family, inlaws are now masking up when going to market, before she was in denial it wasn't in Cambodia so the last week things have changed in the province
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I dont wear a mask except when i am forced to when i go to the supermarket. I find it really restricts my breathing

BUT i also practice social distancing of 3+ meters when i am out, which is far more important!!

The thing with ONLY wearing a mask if you show symptoms is faulty, many could be asymptomatic, but still are able to transmit it if they come in contact with someone.

The situation in India an the refugee camps in Bangladesh, Turkey, Syria, border camps in the Ole USA, etc etc is a bombshell waiting to go off
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
nave
Expatriate

Post by nave »

Josh_76 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:15 am WHO says no.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/worl ... index.html
WHO says that China is ok.
sigrev
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by sigrev »

Josh_76 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:15 am WHO says no.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/worl ... index.html
The head of the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention says yes.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society ... -wear-face
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Some supermarkets and shops require you to wear a mask now. Ive noticed that people are clearly uncomfortable if you don't wear a mask at the market now. IMO it's only a matter of time before we see people refused service if they don't wear a mask.

@freightdog. This is not so much about appeasing local superstititions as making them feel safe around foreigners, which makes us feel safe too. It's not a totally unselfish calculation. We don't want to see negative or agressive behaviour toward foreigners, because local people think that we are spreading the virus. So IMO wearing a mask to go shopping results in more positives than negatives. If they want to kill a pig as well, that would be a bonus. :D
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

That’s assuming people are practicing social distancing and otherwise staying at home.

In Cambodia, many don’t do social distancing and there’s at least one foreigner who’s trying to spread it to everyone so the country can get ‘herd immunity’.

I would wear a face mask in Cambodia just to be on the safer side.

Please be careful out there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic