Have you lost your job due to Corona Virus? Need a CV?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Have you lost your job due to Corona Virus? Need a CV?

Post by BklynBoy »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:49 pm It’s certainly disingenuous to pretend a spouse is an employer and to avoid at all costs sharing of that information.

It’s also poor form by employers to undervalue someone due to them being a stay at home parent. There’s some truth to the persons skills becoming stale but they wouldn’t have completely lost their abilities.

Here’s some professional ways to show your stay at home experience without the lies: https://thecareercounter.com/how-to-wri ... om-resume/
i suppose your correct but fuck employers. They aren't always honest as well. For years the employer had the leverage but that has changed. People don't wanna take shit jobs and be treated shitty. I personally don't see anything wrong w/ fudging resumes etc and agree- during the interview process is your time to shine and show your personality and if you can fit in to the company culture. I feel just as companies are interviewing us, we are interviewing them

And also fuck the 2 week notice. That is outdated and not needed. If someone gets offered a better job and for whatever reason can't give 2 week notice so what. You may get a poor review? i just don't see the value -- esp if you need to take the position right away. In an ideal world, yes-- 2 week notice is the norm but don't let it be the end all be all.

when employers want to fire you or let you go, they tell you to leave right away- for the most part.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

You can all relax - it was about 13 years ago and since then, I've come up with other ways to "close the gap" for women who have been stay at home mums.
I do a LOT of freebies for single mums, it's incredibly rewarding to see them get into jobs.

Have a lovely week everyone, sale is still on if you need a CV.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:18 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:12 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:03 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:58 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:33 pm

What document did I fake?
The Confidentiality Agreement for an employer and for a job that didn’t exist.
The job certainly existed. She just wasn't paid a regular wage.
That's like saying voluntary work doesn't count, because the person isn't getting paid which is complete nonsense!
I use voluntary work all the time on CV in the work history because the validity of a job is not always measured by how much the person is getting paid.

Salary is NEVER mentioned on a CV, because what is important is the skills and tasks. Those were ABSOLUTELY not a lie.
Sorry but by creating a Confidentiality Agreement between a husband and wife, not an employer and employee, that’s being deceptive. Voluntary work is a completely different issue, you wouldn’t want or need a Confidentiality Agreement for that. Not knocking what you did, but it is what it is, deception.
Oh well, I am sure the employer has found out by now whether she can do the job or not ;)
Atta girl Roz ... Never mind the naysayers .... As they say ... The Ends Justify the Means !!!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:12 pm Voluntary work is a completely different issue, you wouldn’t want or need a Confidentiality Agreement for that.
You're absolutely wrong.
I've been writing CVs full time for more than fourteen years and in that time I've had clients who couldn't give a lot of details about voluntary work, research activities or even student practical work because of confidentiality agreements.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:46 am
Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:12 pm Voluntary work is a completely different issue, you wouldn’t want or need a Confidentiality Agreement for that.
You're absolutely wrong.
I've been writing CVs full time for more than fourteen years and in that time I've had clients who couldn't give a lot of details about voluntary work, research activities or even student practical work because of confidentiality agreements.
LOL, I personally don’t see it that way. As a matter of fact I know many people who did volunteer work for various reasons, help the needy, bolster job resumes, etc.

I thought you were going to let it go? I never said a disparaging thing about what you did personally except I thought it was deceptive. But if you truly want to get into it more I guess we can. Damn.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kenr wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:53 am I thought you were going to let it go? I never said a disparaging thing about what you did personally except I thought it was deceptive. But if you truly want to get into it more I guess we can. Damn.
I was responding to your comment saying you don't need a confidentiality agreement for voluntary work.

I just wanted to let you know that your source was wrong and in some cases, you do need a confidentiality agreement.

I didn't personally attack you, I just told you your information is wrong.
We don't need to "get into" anything, I was merely correcting your misconception.

In most cases you're correct, it's great to have the details of voluntary work on a CV, but in SOME INSTANCES, candidates aren't allowed to give too many details because of confidentiality issued with them and the person / organisation they are volunteering for.

You can put away the knives, it was not a personal attack.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Some NGOs would have NDAs, not that weird. I’ve had them with most of my employers but I don’t work with NGOs, had them as clients in the past.

Didn’t impact job interviews much, you still spend hours talking about responsibilities without divulging the privileged information.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:05 am Didn’t impact job interviews much, you still spend hours talking about responsibilities without divulging the privileged information.
Exactly.
The focus should always be what you did and how you did and what awards you received for doing it.
In most cases, where you did it is not that important, especially for my clients - as most of them are moving overseas.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic