UK FCO Advise All UK Citizens Abroad to Return Home

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

UK FCO Advise All UK Citizens Abroad to Return Home

Post by Yerg »

Latest breaking news in UK. As well as a 2030hrs (local) address by PM Boris Johnson.

Secondary FCO advice was if you are staying abroad, to "secure longer term accommodation".

After a weekend of many people ignoring or flouting the social-distancing advice, looks like UK may well be facing some tougher measures soon.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK FCO Advise All UK Citizens Abroad to Return Home

Post by xandreu »

Yes, the tone has definitely changed back home. I think they've taken the criticism on board that they're giving out mixed messages. You can't tell people to stay at home but they can go out if they want to, It's not working anymore. It's time to get tough.

As for us Brits abroad, I note that the wording everywhere with regards to the virus is 'If you live in the UK and are currently abroad, you should return home...' - which is a very different message to 'If you're abroad for any reason, you should return home...'

The fact is that once you've not lived in the UK for more than 3 months, you're no longer considered 'economically active' and the UK government effectively see you as an outcast. We lose our entitlement to free NHS care for example... They basically don't want us back.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

So, basically...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I think it's targets the holiday makers who will soon (like many in Cambodia) may find there is no way to get back and could be away for some time
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I just saw it's now confinement time for the 3 next weeks in UK.

It's reaaally the last round to shop your smokable groceries, and try to grab alcool gel and else if still available.
Now already 1 week of the hamster life in France, it does suck increasingly in proportion of the lack of space of the place.

So now UK is to be turned into red color.

It's a lot of stuff for each case needing respiratory assistance.

So, see you in a few weeks, not a whiff of garlic nor mint in the Eurotunnel for a while, frogs & rosbeefs.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:19 am I just saw it's now confinement time for the 3 next weeks in UK.

It's reaaally the last round to shop your smokable groceries, and try to grab alcool gel and else if still available.
Now already 1 week of the hamster life in France, it does suck increasingly in proportion of the lack of space of the place.

So now UK is to be turned into red color.

It's a lot of stuff for each case needing respiratory assistance.

So, see you in a few weeks, not a whiff of garlic nor mint in the Eurotunnel for a while, frogs & rosbeefs.
No sanitiser gel available to us here. Nor toilet rolls. Nor tinned goods. Nor pasta. Nor washing liquid or anything to put in the washing machine to launder your clothes. It's an absolute bloody joke how people are panic buying everything. As if the days of the apocalypse are upon us. It's simply ludicrous. Fortunately, my parents are a little old school and keep a well stocked freezer, so we won't go hungry. I am allowed out to shop for essentials for my family, but STILL people don't/won't understand the concept of social-distancing. Despite government advice, people remain to be dumb-ass idiots who refuse to listen or take advice.

We've 3 weeks of this to get through, before we know what the next move is. Day 1 has not been a great advert for Great Britain. Too many selfish idiots in this country it seems right now. Certainly where I am living, anyway... :facepalm:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

xandreu wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 am Yes, the tone has definitely changed back home. I think they've taken the criticism on board that they're giving out mixed messages. You can't tell people to stay at home but they can go out if they want to, It's not working anymore. It's time to get tough.

As for us Brits abroad, I note that the wording everywhere with regards to the virus is 'If you live in the UK and are currently abroad, you should return home...' - which is a very different message to 'If you're abroad for any reason, you should return home...'

The fact is that once you've not lived in the UK for more than 3 months, you're no longer considered 'economically active' and the UK government effectively see you as an outcast. We lose our entitlement to free NHS care for example... They basically don't want us back.
I cna update you on that. i am british, but not a british resident. I am currently living in hotels, butthey have started closing unless you are a front line responder. the local council tell me I do not have to sign on and I do not have to be in the Uk for 3 months. the doctors surgery tells me i do have to sign on before I can qualify for GP services. the Social tell me i cannot sign on until i get a doctors letter. Catch 22.
In London peopleare ignoring common sense and gathering. Inthe midlands today the police broke upa barbeque party. A few days ago theives stole food destined fr children in need, and thugs attacked a store. Ehen you go in shops you have to stad at markers on the floor to keep you 2 metes apart. panic buying has slowed down buttoilet rolls are in short supply leadingto sewer blockages in London as people use toilet paper and nappies! Its insane. the government are incompetent. Where are you going to stay when you return? If you have thevirus you will give it to your family. if one person on the plane ahs the virus likelymore than 25% will get off the plane with it. In london there are already palliative care wards for those who cannot haverespiratorsbecuase they are old or sick and likely to die anyway. that is not facebnook news, that was an interview by the bbc of a nurse. You will have to make your own choice but this is being so badly mismanaged by the Uk governent you may well be safer staying put
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Ghostwriter wrote:I just saw it's now confinement time for the 3 next weeks in UK.
Was that really the HMS Belfast on the 23rd?

No wonder the Brits have problems.

Museums have all closed across the pond. So has everything else. The city is on a shelter in place order as of today. (1 step below lockdown.). News reports that 1600 truck deliveries are made to 1 supermarket chain every day so there’s toilet paper, and water, but limited to 2 per shopper. No hand sanitizer (yet, but several alcohol manufactures are retooling for hand sanitizer), but there is hand soap. And bleach wipes. There is law and order here. No one is hijacking food trucks or any other such shenanigans.

I feel for the poor cousins across the pond and the continent fighting this.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

could someone update the title please

it should be 'all uk residents traveling abroad' or similar, not 'uk citizens'

does an FCO warning like this invalidate insurance if it's not followed?

monstra mihi bona!
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

GET TO DA CHOPPER.

NOW!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic