Stay at home or go out???

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Stay at home or go out???

Post by Robins »

Too hot to go out today anyway but a nice motorcycle ride this evening will get rid of that clostrophobic feeling and not cause any exposure.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Double post-delete
Last edited by Ryan754326 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

fazur wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:13 am the richest country in the worlds healthcare is stretched

japan, france, italy, uk, all stretched

explain why cambodia will not be

are they richer? no. are they smarter? no. are they stronger? no.

no logic

You’d think they would be overwhelmed already, yet from everything I’ve heard so far, that is not the case there, nor is it here in Thailand. I’ve seen nothing on social media talking about villagers dying at home after being refused treatment at crowded hospitals either, so why is SouthEast Asia seemingly being spared?
Is it the warm weather? The younger population? The widespread use of cheap masks that aren’t rated to protect against viruses?
It must be something, because if Cambodia had as many people dying as Italy does, I find it hard to imagine that the authorities could hide it, regardless of the suspiciously low number of confirmed cases being reported.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

Ryan754326 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 pmIt must be something, because if Cambodia had as many people dying as Italy does, I find it hard to imagine that the authorities could hide it, regardless of the suspiciously low number of confirmed cases being reported.
if the cause of death is not stated as corona or covid, we could have a thousand deaths due to heart attax or some other reason

how many cambodians can afford an autopsy?

ho wmany people are qualified to do one?
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

fazur wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:19 pm
Ryan754326 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 pmIt must be something, because if Cambodia had as many people dying as Italy does, I find it hard to imagine that the authorities could hide it, regardless of the suspiciously low number of confirmed cases being reported.
if the cause of death is not stated as corona or covid, we could have a thousand deaths due to heart attax or some other reason

how many cambodians can afford an autopsy?

ho wmany people are qualified to do one?
But wouldn’t we have anecdotal evidence circling on social media by now? None of my Cambodian, Vietnamese, or Thai friends know anyone personally who has been sick, yet they all seem to be completely terrified of dying, should they catch this.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ryan754326 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 pm
fazur wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:13 am the richest country in the worlds healthcare is stretched

no logic

You’d think they would be overwhelmed already, yet from everything I’ve heard so far, that is not the case there, nor is it here in Thailand. I’ve seen nothing on social media talking about villagers dying at home after being refused treatment at crowded hospitals either, so why is SouthEast Asia seemingly being spared?
Is it the warm weather? The younger population? The widespread use of cheap masks that aren’t rated to protect against viruses?
It must be something, because if Cambodia had as many people dying as Italy does, I find it hard to imagine that the authorities could hide it, regardless of the suspiciously low number of confirmed cases being reported.
I think in Cambodia there are some factors making the virus spread slower than in the colder areas.

- People spend much more time outdoors
- The amount of UV is as high as you can get this time of year
- The high temperatures?
- The mean age in Cambodia is in the twenties, in Italy for instance it's in the high forties
- Because of the general young age there are far less comorbidities in the population
- Obesity is less of a problem in Cambodia compared to Europe or the USA. In my country over 80% of the people in ICU are overweight or obese.

and maybe the average Cambodian simply has a stronger immune system than the average American because they have been exposed to much more bacteria and viruses?

I don't see the virus spreading like wildfire, I'm sure it's there, but I haven't noticed it yet, nor has anybody I know.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

^

Also, for reason of regional history, unlike Italy, Cambodia does not have SEVEN FUCKING MILLION plus people aged above 75.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

my guess is that in SE Asia they dont kiss as a greeting, unlike Italy and Iran
finish_money
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by finish_money »

no logic

Widespread mask use has to be a factor. It might not prevent someone from getting the virus but it certainly prevents the spread. There's been some propaganda in the U.S. telling people that they don't need to wear masks, saying that it could do more harm than good because you're more likely to touch your face when using a mask. But there was also a severe mask shortage and they didn't want people hording them when hospitals were in desperate need. Now suddenly the recommendation is changing -- likely because hospitals are getting what they need now.

I've gone to the supermarket a few times in the past month and only about 5% of people in public were wearing masks -- and most disturbingly -- the people working at the markets were not wearing them. And ironically, I got a lot of strange looks since I was wearing one, as if people assumed I was sick. Because people here aren't used to wearing masks at all, which has always been a pet peeve of mine; because you could be on an airplane with someone coughing their head off not wearing a mask and it was totally normal. So this will be the small silver lining, as I imagine airlines will start forcing sick people to wear masks now.
"You can't teach the beast. It's either in you or it isn't. You can't just go to the store and buy a six-pack of beast. It don't work like that." — Kevin Garnett
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

finish_money wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pm Widespread mask use has to be a factor. It might not prevent someone from getting the virus but it certainly prevents the spread. There's been some propaganda in the U.S. telling people that they don't need to wear masks, saying that it could do more harm than good because you're more likely to touch your face when using a mask. But there was also a severe mask shortage and they didn't want people hording them when hospitals were in desperate need. Now suddenly the recommendation is changing -- likely because hospitals are getting what they need now.

I've gone to the supermarket a few times in the past month and only about 5% of people in public were wearing masks -- and most disturbingly -- the people working at the markets were not wearing them. And ironically, I got a lot of strange looks since I was wearing one, as if people assumed I was sick. Because people here aren't used to wearing masks at all, which has always been a pet peeve of mine; because you could be on an airplane with someone coughing their head off not wearing a mask and it was totally normal. So this will be the small silver lining, as I imagine airlines will start forcing sick people to wear masks now.
There is a whole other thread about masks or no masks, and after reading it, be interesting to find your stance on it. In SEA it became second nature with the air quality and now THIS!!! The same can be said of the UK. Masks are the exception rather than the rule; when I watch others seeing someone in a mask, and you see rolling eyes everywhere, like the wearer is carrying bubonic plague or something, it's laughable. No harm, no foul in my book.

So Finnish, are you a stay in or a go out kinda person?? :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic