Stay at home or go out???

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Stay at home or go out???

Post by atst »

Yerg wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:40 am
atst wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 am Just wondering is 404 explorer?
He's a bit more prescient... And his arguments hold a lot more water... :dragonchase:
Maybe the lockdown but I'm missing explorer's preachings :bow:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Now i think you are conflating you own individual views with what is best for the majority.
You are quite obviously on a crusade about this. Fixated that your views will to save the masses from enslavement.

Go to it, but i will choose instead to spend my time this morning catching up on what the other 7.999 billion individuals are doing and thinking. I learned in the global warming debate that engaging with one insistent fanatic can be a huge distraction, and a total waste of time.
I am moving on.

(but nevertheless, personally i wish you well)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Explorer was, IMO, subjected to so much free-range abuse and disrespect. I am not surprised that he chose to turn this channel off.
If you sometimes tune in, Explorer - hope you are doin' OK. Not all of us thought your homilies and sincere expressions of simple good sense were a total waste of space. Not at all.
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 am Now i think you are conflating you own individual views with what is best for the majority.
You are quite obviously on a crusade about this. Fixated that your views will to save the masses from enslavement.

Go to it, but i will choose instead to spend my time this morning catching up on what the other 7.999 billion individuals are doing and thinking. I learned in the global warming debate that engaging with one insistent fanatic can be a huge distraction, and a total waste of time.
I am moving on.

(but nevertheless, personally i wish you well)
I guess it could be possible. I am clearly biased due to the lockdown being forced and not being able to cop with the way liberties are being slashed across all countries at once. As I said I'd give my life for it. I'm a heretic and a fanatic on freedom indeed, and it is surely sterile to talk of the freedom aspects of things with me, and I should stop referring to it. I am indeed a fanatic when it comes to personal freedom.

But talking about a non-forced confinement, I am much less fanatic about that, I like to stand with my fellow human beings, and wish to play my part and would most likely hold confinement if asked nicely and everyone else was doing it. But I would still think it's wrong in light of the information I could gather so far and express it.
I didn't come on this thread to bitch about freedom initially as that's not the point of this thread, and delved in that mostly later on as I explained the reason for my interest in the subject. I clearly said it has only direct benefice for me who always stays home and happen to make money on it.

For a non-repressive confinement being innefective, my level of confidence is much lower, and this is what I came to debate initially, You have to remember that when it comes to that question, my goal was to dive into facts and stats in order to speculate, and of course speculation is just that, and the result of a speculation affecting every single part of the world in every sector obviously comes with an extremely high degree of incertitude, as well as the possibility for hundreds of factor which one might have forgot about, as well as basic math error, or basic misunderstanding of an expert statement. Being a fanatic about a speculation is well below me.
I have nothing fanatic against a non repressive confinement in a time of pandemic, it would be utterly stupid not to consider the idea.

But as open minded and unsure I am when it comes to non-force confinement, I cannot change my mind without a single post with argument. Tell me if I'm wrong, but so far the arguments I've heard are the high peak of case during fast spread that would results in death due to the strain on the healthcare system. And that doctors said to minimize movement populations.
I agree with the first one but already did my best to factor it initially, and as I said experts on population migrations do agree that confining yourself at home reduce local population movement but increase inter-regional and inter-national movements, which according to those same doctors asking us to minimize movement populations is worst.

I am really sorry if I appear fanatic when it comes to a confinement without repression, I really hope I am not mistaken due to bias with my feeling on the current situation of freedoms and conflicting it but I am doing my best to keep an un-biased view as hard as it may be. But one would have to admit, that I haven't been provided with many information on this thread, which at least a little bit of would be required for a non-fanatic thinker to review it's position.

Also as things keeps getting conflated, the difference in my arguments depending on different country, or global world stats becomes lost.

I advise you to check the Health vs Economy thread where people are having a similar discussion on many points, but where a weirdo like me didn't flood it : p

Also sorry for missing your small hints at very interesting factors, like reduced pollution, restoration of borders, ecological concerns, etc... which are completely valid point and that I would love to explore, but I am afraid that at this point it would be industrialized world vs industrialized word 2.0, and that the death from the coronavirus in all of that would become a meaningless factor. (Level of certitude on that one is extremly low, just saying that off the top of my head).

I'm on a crusade for freedoms (but that shouldn't belong on this thread),
Being on a crusade for the best way to deal on a pandemic for society.... lol.......... just lol.... wtf?... no thanks.. I just do like the others do, but that doesn't prevent me from advising people to review their stand or to help me review mine.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

So. 404 is go out. A lot of others are stay in. Others are go out.

In other news, Trump said he'd have it all cleared up by Easter.

Discuss. Calling Shouty!!!! :stir:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Hey Yerg, Shouty got locked outside for 7 days by the Gen.

and you are at least 50% responsible i reckon, stirring him up so he blew a fuse.

(ps, thanks)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Yerg wrote:So. 404 is go out. A lot of others are stay in. Others are go out.

In other news, Trump said he'd have it all cleared up by Easter.

Discuss. Calling Shouty!!!! :stir:
Trump was championing 404’s cause. Unfortunately the data coming out won’t be allowing him to do so. Many states will be hitting peak mid month into next month, with a few states woefully short on beds, ventilator and medical professionals, especially when the peak hits. (See New York asking for medical volunteers from neighboring states.)

Please be safe out there everyone.
And God (or gods) bless.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

the richest country in the worlds healthcare is stretched

japan, france, italy, uk, all stretched

explain why cambodia will not be

are they richer? no. are they smarter? no. are they stronger? no.

no logic
404FreedomNotFound
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 404FreedomNotFound »

fazur wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:13 am the richest country in the worlds healthcare is stretched

japan, france, italy, uk, all stretched

explain why cambodia will not be

are they richer? no. are they smarter? no. are they stronger? no.

no logic
I have data supporting this claim relative to the financial access of khmer people to healthcare facility compared with the number of healthcare facilities, please refer to the link of my previous post on that.
But as I specified the fact that HE promised free covid-19 treatment for everyone in the kingdom might change everything. If HE holds on his promise and correctly applies it with efficient testing, the healthcare system will be horribly overwhelmed.
This speculation is based on the record of the kingdom in inefficiently putting in place their social projects, as well as the lack of testing kits and the overall consensus of expert that cambodia should be overwhelmed with cases, yet only slightly more than 100 were confirmed and therefor paid for by the government.

The only part of it that can be confirmed is based on data on the khmer health infrastructure and the financial access their people have to them. But the very day HE announced free covid-19 treatment it became purely speculative based on HE capacity to accurately and honestly track covid-19 case especially once he knows he's the one paying the bill. On the other hand growing the covid-19 stats might be beneficial to him, he could use this crisis to completely finish off the opposition and that would be worth some tests and some healthcare bills. So yeah, pure speculation, no data can accurately predict what HE is actually gonna do, he might actually test people and give them a 5buck pack of doliprane each and call it a day : P

Anyway the only thing that is sure, is that people who won't be paid for by HE specific covid-19 social policy don't have enough money to overwhelm hospital in most regions.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This has been on the internet for a few days now, so apologies if it was already posted, but it bears repeating:

:beer3: Stay safe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic