Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

Post by frizzie77 »

Wow! So many forum members had the rough cough, so probably had the Corona Virus!
Won't be long before (fake, of course) T-shirts will emerge with "I've had the COVID Corona Shit ALREADY!!!"

Come on guys, I had a very bad sickness (yes, including coughs, sneezes, extreme fatigue and other corona related stuff) back in May 2019.
Oh wait, of course I was the very first corona victim in Cambodia! What am I saying? In Asia! What am I saying? In the world! I am the ultimate PATIENT ZERO!
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by sousadeyy »

My friends father, old chap in his 80s but healthy. Saw him over Christmas, couple of weeks later died of ''lung problem'' (my friends translation) happened within about 10 days, no underlying health conditions.

I mean people die all the time, and in reading the posts above, people get sick with flu/dengue-like illnesses regularly. That being said, to believe this virus hadn't embedded itself in the community much earlier with the amount of Chinese immigrants is naive.

Will be interesting to see the results for many people if they are able to do serology tests for antibodies for covid 19 in the future. I dare say quite a few people have had it and thought they had dengue / flu.

I also tend to think the health system wouldn't be aware if they had an increase of elderly patients dying of respiratory conditions, especially if they had underlying conditions. In terms of collaboration across the country and accurate diagnoses of pneumonia as the reason of death, I highly doubt the health system would have identified any trends. Or perhaps they did and they thought it best to be quiet.

The conspiracy narrative could be supported by the fact that it has mainly been Western foreigners that have undergone testing. The one Chinese case was ''accidentally detected'' if I'm not mistaken.

Food for thought. It's a nice theory to believe, makes it seem like the brunt of it won't be as bad as some might predict. In the meantime let's blame the French. Why the hell are they going on a tour of sihanoukville now anyway, a) it's grim b) stay in your hotel or go home
Last edited by sousadeyy on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I would be shocked if they did not have the virus already in Cambodia months ago. I do wonder if there was some kind of political motivation behind them not finding/reporting it, but perhaps that is me adorning my tinfoil hat.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cooldude wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:32 am My symptoms started New Year 's eve. I thought maybe I had Dengue and I got a blood test and tested positive for Dengue on the 6rh of January. I thought I'd let it run its course and waited until the 16th of January until I went to Royal Phnom Penh hospital. I told them about the positive response to the Dengue fever test and they tested me again for Dengue and I tested negative. However, I was diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia and given a ten day course of Augmentin which cleared everything up. My symptoms were exactly what everyone here are describing and are very close to Dengue fever symptoms. I really think I was misdiagnosed and most likely had the Covid virus.
Covid-19 causes viral pneumonia which does not respond to antibiotics.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I know that. That's the only sticking point in my case. However, they are now finding some luck treating the virus with Chloroquine and Azithromycin which is an antibiotic. I don't know what to think at this point. I guess it will all come out in the wash. I never had any illness like this before and things are starting to really point to the Covid virus. Maybe it ran it's course at the same time I happened to be taking the antibiotics. I was sick for 16 days at that time. I really don't know at this point what I had.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

OK, so i guess now we need to look for parallels with how the epidemic played out in other places where we know it went viral (so to speak) without any early intervention
The only places i can think of are Wuhan, Iran and Italy - (off the top of my head too early in the morning)

Is there anywhere they have discovered widespread infection but without a huge spike in patients with severe symptoms showing up at doctors and hospitals?
Is there really any possibility that the high death toll of the aged experienced elsewhere was not noticed here?
Is it possible that not one doctor at any hospital had their suspicions raised that Cv-19 was on the loose here?

They are my questions, and doubts.
The possible explanations already raised do not convince me - yet.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

sousadeyy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:48 am My friends father, old chap in his 80s but healthy. Saw him over Christmas, couple of weeks later died of ''lung problem'' (my friends translation) happened within about 10 days, no underlying health conditions.

I mean people die all the time, and in reading the posts above, people get sick with flu/dengue-like illnesses regularly. That being said, to believe this virus hadn't embedded itself in the community much earlier with the amount of Chinese immigrants is naive.

Will be interesting to see the results for many people if they are able to do serology tests for antibodies for covid 19 in the future. I dare say quite a few people have had it and thought they had dengue / flu.

I also tend to think the health system wouldn't be aware if they had an increase of elderly patients dying of respiratory conditions, especially if they had underlying conditions. In terms of collaboration across the country and accurate diagnoses of pneumonia as the reason of death, I highly doubt the health system would have identified any trends. Or perhaps they did and they thought it best to be quiet.

The conspiracy narrative could be supported by the fact that it has mainly been Western foreigners that have undergone testing. The one Chinese case was ''accidentally detected'' if I'm not mistaken.

Food for thought. It's a nice theory to believe, makes it seem like the brunt of it won't be as bad as some might predict. In the meantime let's blame the French. Why the hell are they going on a tour of sihanoukville now anyway, a) it's grim b) stay in your hotel or go home

I asked my doctor [ in OZ ] about that and he said there are no antibodies that show in serology blood tests for this virus.

He's a fairly smart doctor so I would have to take him at his word .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:12 am
sousadeyy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:48 am My friends father, old chap in his 80s but healthy. Saw him over Christmas, couple of weeks later died of ''lung problem'' (my friends translation) happened within about 10 days, no underlying health conditions.

I asked my doctor [ in OZ ] about that and he said there are no antibodies that show in serology blood tests for this virus.

He's a fairly smart doctor so I would have to take him at his word .
Interesting. In my country all blood donors and other volunteers have been asked to come and donate blood to do a large study for antibodies to see how widespread the virus is.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

First anti body tests just coming out in the past few days
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic