Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Corona virus already been to Cambodia a few months earlier?

Post by 135 »

I agree with you siliconlife, I have 4 older, at-risk people I’m worried about. I don’t put my thoughts well into words. Maybe Cambodia’s younger population is better suited? Maybe there’s not as many compromised people here? Or maybe I’m missing a lot of news because I don’t speak Khmer and am in my western bubble?
Take care, wash those hands and keep your distance.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Joker Poker wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:32 am I was in Cambodia for five weeks over Dec-Jan. During that time my son got sick two times with throat problems and fever. I then got a strange type of flu thing where I was cold and shaking, I would then take paracetamol or ibuprofen and about half an hour later would have big sweats. Then I started to be hyperthermic, with the digital thermometer reading mid 34c range. I thought the thermometer was on the blink and took the wife's temperature and she was normal. Very strange, and I did wonder about the CV thing at the time, but inconclusive.
I got almost the same thing in mid-November after having spent 7 nights in Pattaya, which was constantly invaded by the Chinese hordes. A few days after returning to Bangkok on the Pattaya-BKK bus, I started sneezing more than usual on the weekend. Went to bed Sunday night and woke up shivering like a rock crusher. Somehow I managed to get back to sleep but felt very ragged Monday. Also had a slight fever because I remember taking para or ibu. Next night I woke up in a deep sweat, soaking everything. Again, managed to get to sleep. Ragged the next day but as evening approached, felt better. Then the next day it was all gone. I described it to friends as a weird flu. At the time, of course, there was no news of anything out of China until late December but Chinese rumours said the infection was already underway well before that.
Last edited by ExPenhMan on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Whilst I find myself remembering numerous people, myself included, having “the flu” back in January, was it COVID-19?? Or just the regular flu that goes around?

I guess we’ll never know for sure but I agree with others that it is highly likely it’s already been through a fair section of the population and was just brushed off as regular flu/feeling shot for a few days type of thing.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

What you all say it's IMPOSSIBLE because chinese didn't import the virus with them in Cambodia.

ONLY westerners do !

French especially because Sam Rainsy lives there.

China => NICE

EU => BAD
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

I particularly remember my February ‘flu’ because it was unlike anything I’d had before. I didn’t have a runny nose or that ‘blocked up, muzzy’ feeling you get with most flus. It was just a never-ending dry cough, a medium fever and some chest pains. Plus fatigue.
As for the question did death rates spike a couple of months ago, it’s very hard to know. I think most people don’t bother to register deaths in the national database. The documentation is usually handled by the local songkat and the cremation happens within a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

It would be very good news if this was true. Because by now the virus would have been a long way up the exponential scale, far ahead of Italy for example. The fact that it is not would give credence to the theory that heat reduces severity. It would also mean that by now herd immunity is in effect on Cambodia. That would explain why new cases are mostly foreigners newly arrived in Cambodia and why locals are not catching it off them in significant numbers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I don't think we should be too optimistic. If all around Cambodia 50 people would die each day of this virus, would it really been noticed? On a population of 16 million you;d have a regular amount of deaths of about 2,800 people per day. You might notice overcrowded ICU units, but since there are hardly any ICU units in Cambodia.....
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 am I don't think we should be too optimistic. If all around Cambodia 50 people would die each day of this virus, would it really been noticed? On a population of 16 million you;d have a regular amount of deaths of about 2,800 people per day. You might notice overcrowded ICU units, but since there are hardly any ICU units in Cambodia.....
2,800 per day? On a normal day you say?

https://knoema.com/atlas/Cambodia/Death-rate

Gives a death rate per 1,000 people at 6.0. There’s a figure of 7.78 per 1,000 listed on the wiki page but that’s from 2014.
Using both we get a normal deaths per day for the whole population of between 263 and 341.
0.006 (or 0.00778) x 16m = yearly deaths... divide by 365 for daily.... or did I just rush that and have I missed something ?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 am I don't think we should be too optimistic. If all around Cambodia 50 people would die each day of this virus, would it really been noticed? On a population of 16 million you;d have a regular amount of deaths of about 2,800 people per day. You might notice overcrowded ICU units, but since there are hardly any ICU units in Cambodia.....
2,800 per day? On a normal day you say?

https://knoema.com/atlas/Cambodia/Death-rate

Gives a death rate per 1,000 people at 6.0. There’s a figure of 7.78 per 1,000 listed on the wiki page but that’s from 2014.
Using both we get a normal deaths per day for the whole population of between 263 and 341.
0.006 (or 0.00778) x 16m = yearly deaths... divide by 365 for daily.... or did I just rush that and have I missed something ?
I made a very fast calculation, on a small piece of paper, based on 16 million people and a mean age of death of 65.
No compensation for young population, so in reality it will be lower now, and rise if the population gets older.

Even if we compensate for the mean age, there's 7 deaths per 1,000 per year on average, you will end up with a lower number of deaths per day, let's say around 300.
But even then it'll be hard to notice an extra 50 deaths every day. Especially in a country where the news only tells you what the government wants to tell you.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Forget the idea that Cambodia has herd immunity.
It requires approx 70% of the population to been infected for this to be a factor.
(or to be vaccinated, not applicable)
It is not feasible that a 70% infection rate could have passed unnoticed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic