Putting the Boots to a Crazy Dude

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Putting the Boots to a Crazy Dude

Post by WildA »

Some crazy Khmer guy (clearly violent) was causing trouble on Pub St last night, he was surrounded by at least 8 cops and they were walking him to Sivutha when he either spit on or pushed one...

So they all jump on this dude and they all started fighting, and to be honest, the crazy guy was a handful....

But the minute he was cuffed, and with a cop on his back, and two holding his legs, one of the cops hauled off and started kicking him in the face...

Now to my mind as long as a guy is even struggling the tiniest bit its Katie bar the door for him, no rules on that, but once the dude is cuffed, come on...

Its not like they hurt the dude that bad, I dint see any blood and the cop putting the boots to him wasnt very big...

Its just the principle of the thing. Didnt seem to raise much reaction from the spectators.

Then again, in the states, he may have gotten a 9 or 40 in the chest, so I guess everything is relative.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Putting the Boots to a Crazy Dude

Post by Electric Earth »

Yeah, in the US they would have just shot him. That still sounds like quite the event to witness, though.

I saw a guy on a moto try to drive away from a cop on the street. The cop grabbed him around the neck and sent him to the ground. Moto down. Cop put the guy in a rough headlock and drug him off of the road. At first it was like "Damn, that cop isn't fucking around. The dude shouldn't have tried to run." and then my next thought was "Well, a cop in the US would have just shot him for physically resisting because he "felt endangered." I guess That's not fucking around." I'd rather deal with the cops in Cambodia than the US. The fines are much less for us calm, rational folk, too.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Illegal brutal and primitive.
There are a bunch of cheer leaders here for the cops and the street mobs to continue acting like this.
( but who mostly do not utter a peep when it comes to the crimes of the rich and powerful)

Do we want the Rule of Law in Cambodia or not?
Do we value civilisation or not?
You cannot have it both ways.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Told the story to a bud of mine who is EXTREMELY connected and he said that a lot of times, the extra shots after subduing are not very hard (like here, no blood after a kick in the face) but more of a lesson to the crowd, dont fight the police. Right or wrong it is what it is.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

WildA wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:22 am Right or wrong it is what it is.
Yeah, like whatever, man
moral relatively, man
hey man, anything goes. that's the beauty of the universe..
who's to judge, man
wow man, chill, hey it's cool
..everything...
Hey man, check out those clouds..

Sorry Wild, just having fun, but if nobody draws the lines of law we all go back to the jungle.
The cops should be setting the standard.
I am not saying i can't understand their reaction, but the message should be especially strong when the crunch really comes home like this.
- that the Rule of Law is absolutely paramount.
God knows, Cambodia needs the Rule of Law more than it needs anything else..
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:39 pm
WildA wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:22 am Right or wrong it is what it is.
Yeah, like whatever, man
moral relatively, man
hey man, anything goes. that's the beauty of the universe..
who's to judge, man
wow man, chill, hey it's cool
..everything...
Hey man, check out those clouds..

Sorry Wild, just having fun, but if nobody draws the lines of law we all go back to the jungle.
The cops should be setting the standard.
I am not saying i can't understand their reaction, but the message should be especially strong when the crunch really comes home like this.
- that the Rule of Law is absolutely paramount.
God knows, Cambodia needs the Rule of Law more than it needs anything else..
Yeah, but, as has been pointed out; were this somewhere in the US, he could have been shot/tazed or beanbagged or all three, plus a multi cop pile on.

So, I suppose the question is, S. A. A; who's law determines "Rule of Law" and its limits? What legislation does Cambodia have about use of force during and after arrests etc?

I hope the UN isn't invoked...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was in a tuk tuk at water festival years ago. We were heading down 136 or one of the other streets leading to the river. It was getting increasingly crowded so I was surprised when this local guy on a 250 ripped past us accelerating. So about 2 seconds later he smacked into a metal barrier the cops were behind. About half a second later they were all kicking the fuck out of him. It was funny and a bit messed up at the same time but he was driving very irresponsibly and must have freaked them out. I've seen cops save people from mobs too so they aren't always the protagonists.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

a bud of mine who is EXTREMELY connected
Makes me laugh whenever expats say something like this, usually it's the guys who spend their days sipping on .50c beers in GSM or outside of minimarts :D

Disclaimer: @WildA I'm not saying that you or your bud is full of shit, just a general observation from personal experience, internet forums and FB posts.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:41 pm
a bud of mine who is EXTREMELY connected
Makes me laugh whenever expats say something like this, usually it's the guys who spend their days sipping on .50c beers in GSM or outside of minimarts :D

Disclaimer: @WildA I'm not saying that you or your bud is full of shit, just a general observation from personal experience, internet forums and FB posts.
Disclaimer: I'm saying both WildA's bud and WildA are both EXTREMELY full of beer!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Comparing a bashing by the cops in Cambodia with getting shot by them in USA is specious. Both anti social, both illegal.

The Rule of Law is just that - respecting, obeying and enforcing the letter of the laws of the land - unselectively.
It is what makes society function. PS, and business.
and it is the only protection of the masses from the predators. Especially needed in Cambodia.
We don't need a revolution, the opposite - we just need the law enforced all 'round.

The very worst thing is to have cops take enforcement of the law into their own judgement.
Then, they bash the un-powerful, and enable the rich to do their far greater crimes.

And Yes, cops executing summary justice is against Cambodian law. Most definitely.
you don't need the UN or Greenpeace or whoever to explain basic concepts of justice like this.
It is black letter law of the land. Cops are especially duty bound to not bash people.
- civilisation #101
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic