Putting the Boots to a Crazy Dude

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Putting the Boots to a Crazy Dude

Post by Jerry Atrick »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:56 pm Cops are especially duty bound to not bash people.
- civilisation #101
Cops in the USA use lethal force every day. More times than not, it's upheld as being justified. Even when evidence to the contrary is available.

Police in the UK don't mind a few extra digs here and there.

In Spain, you left the Guardia Civil alone, known beaters.

Australia, as a boy, it was world famous for having some of the most corrupt cops on the planet.

Ireland. Probably changed now, but 20 years ago some lads I knew would get bloody noses off the sergeant, which I see as less harmful than a stupid arrest on an individuals record.

Police are police the world over. Most are decent. Some are stupid, others are morally flexible while a number of the rest are likely corrupt sociopath types.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

That is true JR, a hard core reality.
But that means we have to speak out.
I am not being naive - i am just challenging the "bash em'" mentality that is often expressed here.

I am also very aware that there is great frustration and that mob justice seems like the only remedy when the cops are too lazy or too corrupt or too ineffective to protect the masses - but the answer is not cops bashing the chosen few. The answer is the cops obeying and enforcing the laws of the land dilligently.
And if the collective WE do not constantly demand this we are shot ducks.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm That is true JR, a hard core reality.
But that means we have to speak out.
I am not being naive - i am just challenging the "bash em'" mentality that is often expressed here.

I am also very aware that there is great frustration and that mob justice seems like the only remedy when the cops are too lazy or too corrupt or too ineffective to protect the masses - but the answer is not cops bashing the chosen few. The answer is the cops obeying and enforcing the laws of the land dilligently.
And if the collective WE do not constantly demand this we are shot ducks.
You are one righteous MF*.

*that's a compliment
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Like it or not, sometimes a good whack will change a persons behaviour.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm Like it or not, sometimes a good whack will change a persons behaviour.
Not according to a simple check on google.
The claim that corporal punishment is an especially effective deterrent has been refuted by empirical evidence, however, which shows that offenders who are punished by corporal means are actually slightly more likely to commit further crimes than are those punished by imprisonment.
And more here https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... duce-crime
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Like this ?
"Soldier who shot an unarmed Afghan man suspended from duty by Australian Army"
"An Australian Army soldier seen shooting an unarmed Afghan man in footage aired by Four Corners has been suspended from duty, with the Defence Minister referring the matter to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) Commissioner."
"A Defence investigation of the 2012 incident found the SAS soldier, called Soldier C in reporting, acted in self-defence"
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03- ... y/12072846
""You want me to drop this cunt?"
up to you...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:41 am Illegal brutal and primitive.
There are a bunch of cheer leaders here for the cops and the street mobs to continue acting like this.
( but who mostly do not utter a peep when it comes to the crimes of the rich and powerful)

Do we want the Rule of Law in Cambodia or not?
Do we value civilisation or not?
You cannot have it both ways.
When you have the rule of law at ahome, and your police stop shooting/beating/ falsely arresting and or deporting innocentpeople then you can come and criticise the Cambodians. The don't have guns, tazers or even batons and bulletproof vests. Some actually try and do their job properly and get killed and injured doing so. they do the best they can with the pathetic training they get and the 5th rate equipment they have, and the ones who do the job have more balls than the wankers in the west armend to the teeth and shooting innocent people
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

I am not being selective to Cambodia - just advocating for cops (anywhere) to do their sworn duty properly.
I do this in my "home " country also.
And, challenging the view that some people advocate, of cops bashing perps.

I have a huge respect for good cops everywhere. Perhaps as a result of my life history i have a greater understanding than most of some of the terrible things, and people, they deal with every day. Hats off.

An improvement in the rule of law in Cambodia is (imo) probably the biggest single thing that could improve this country.
Not pointing the finger at any particular cops - the whole justice system is badly broken in Cambodia.
I apologise if i tarred all cops with a tainted brush, but corruption, and laziness are a big factor here. As for being ineffective, i agree that they are under resourced and under trained.

Look at the world survey a couple of weeks ago - it may have its faults but no informed person could dispute that Cambodia really is near the bottom for Rule of Law.
In a democracy it is crucial that at least some citizens advocate for improvements - constantly.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

There has been an improvement in the ruke of law in Cambodia but its not huge. Police are tackling drugs and money laundering and people trafficking. These things start small. What pisses me off is foreigners criticising cambodi which is a new emerging nation while there is rampant corruption and failure to prosecute the wealthy and powerful in democracies that have hundreds of years to get their shit together. And I dont just mean the USA. It applies to almost every so called democracy in the west
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

I agree with you there ^^ Pczz
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic