Getting home - urgent help please

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MidlandsExpat1
Tourist

Getting home - urgent help please

Post by MidlandsExpat1 »

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a flight back to England in the next week or so.

Obviously none of them are direct. Does anyone know if countries limitations apply for people in transit?

One flight, for example, goes via Malaysia. Another goes via Beijing. Another via Vietnam.

Do their current travel restrictions apply for people who are just stopping over for a link over flight? And not leaving the airport?

I'll check with the embassy on Monday, but any advice in the meantime would be massively appreciated.

Cheers!
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Getting home - urgent help please

Post by Clemen »

Check with the airlines. Everything is changing so fast any advice will be outdated by tomorrow. If I had to leave, I'd go now. Oz, for instance now has mandatory 14 day quarantine for everyone.
up to you...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I use Emirates for all my trips home to Phnom Penh.
So far, no travel advisories for transit stops where you stay on the aircraft, but obviously that can change.

My next trip home is in 2 weeks, and I’ve received only updates, but no route cancellations so far.
Emirates flies to Birmingham from Dubai, so that’s the midlands possibly covered.

The route (last time I flew west) is normally

EK371. Phnom Penh to Bangkok (transit stop, stay on the aircraft) to Dubai.

Connection in Dubai

Whatever EK flight to the UK.
Revbo n Cambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Revbo n Cambo »

I confirm Emirates via Phnom Penh to Taiwan via Thai Airways, as i had two American friend fly out today back to USA. Good Luck.
MidlandsExpat1
Tourist

Post by MidlandsExpat1 »

Thanks a lot.

What about transit stops where you have to get off the aircraft?

Do you think it's likely that that's when restrictions could be enforced?

I'm not sure of who to call.

Malaysian Airlines are hard to to call.
Fitz
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Fitz »

I flew Emirates to Sweden yesterday with a stopover in Dubai. The planes were packed. No stringent controls in Dubai.

If you have older relatives in Britain that you need to take care of, and if you are prepared to isolate yourself 2 weeks when you get back, then by all means go. But if you are not young and very healthy, I suggest you stay. The fact that these planes are still running is fkn insane, and I do expect to get sick now. I'd rather be on a Phnom Penh rooftop with a gas stove, 20 kilos of rice, jugs of water and some herbs. It would be safer all around.

And what's this about next week? You waiting for improvements in the situation? They won't be coming.

Last edited by Fitz on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

MidlandsExpat1 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:59 pm Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a flight back to England in the next week or so.

Obviously none of them are direct. Does anyone know if countries limitations apply for people in transit?

One flight, for example, goes via Malaysia. Another goes via Beijing. Another via Vietnam.

Do their current travel restrictions apply for people who are just stopping over for a link over flight? And not leaving the airport?

I'll check with the embassy on Monday, but any advice in the meantime would be massively appreciated.

Cheers!
EMIRATES goes 4 times BKK DXB (Dubai) still going now! I have a confirmed flight BKK DXB Tuesday, 24 March 2 am! Hope it'll work out!
MidlandsExpat1
Tourist

Post by MidlandsExpat1 »

Fitz wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:54 pm I flew Emirates to Sweden yesterday with a stopover in Dubai. The planes were packed. No stringent controls in Dubai.

If you have older relatives in Britain that you need to take care of, and if you are prepared to isolate yourself 2 weeks when you get back, then by all means go. But if you are not young and very healthy, I suggest you stay. The fact that these planes are still running is fkn insane, and I do expect to get sick now. I'd rather be on a Phnom Penh rooftop with a gas stove, 20 kilos of rice, jugs of water and some herbs. It would be safer all around.

And what's this about next week? You waiting for improvements in the situation? They won't be coming.

I said 'in the next week'.

Ie between now and next Friday.

And it's of no business of yours why I'm looking to go home, or what my condition is.

Cheers for your input though.
Fitz
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Fitz »

MidlandsExpat1 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:01 pm
And it's of no business of yours why I'm looking to go home, or what my condition is.
I am sorry that you lack functional literacy in your own native language, since you erroneously deduced that from what I wrote. I don't give a fuck about you, your health or what you do with your life.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AFAIK, Vietnam is totally blocked for Brits, but you can still fly through Singapore ok, as long as you remain in transit.
I take it that you have a British passport ? (Not meaning to pry into your personal circumstances, but that has some bearing on your case. )

Here, under 'Singapore', they specifically state that transit passengers from the UK will be allowed onward passage through Singapore:
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/intern ... 226297.htm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic