Face masks & coronavirus: how culture affects your decision

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Face masks & coronavirus: how culture affects your decision

Post by Anchor Moy »

I don't know if the masks are protective or not, but I wear one now to go into shops or markets because I think it reassures the locals. It's a small gesture to make and I don't want to be responsible for infecting anyone.
However, with barangs it's a different story. No masks (so far), but we are trying not to sit too close together, and don't shake hands anymore.
(Also, it's awfully difficult to drink and smoke while wearing a mask. :dragonchase: )
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:34 am I don't know if the masks are protective or not, but I wear one now to go into shops or markets because I think it reassures the locals. It's a small gesture to make and I don't want to be responsible for infecting anyone.
However, with barangs it's a different story. No masks (so far), but we are trying not to sit too close together, and don't shake hands anymore.
(Also, it's awfully difficult to drink and smoke while wearing a mask. :dragonchase: )
:D
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I got with the program and bought a cheap crappy one this morning. With my food stocked up and bars shut I'm generally capable of social distancing day to day, but it is for show and specifically for Immigration visits. I'm conscious of increased wearing this last week and similarly why I'm not keen on going into my local bar/restaurant and drinking beer as normal even if technically allowed its very much a conformity thing for me. If I'm going to catch it anywhere it will likely be in my local immigration office which has apparently been queued out the door the last coue of days due to the obvious issues.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
geologicrun
Tourist

Post by geologicrun »

Are they even selling N95 masks in Cambodia now? I have only seen the cheap kind of masks for sale in pharmacies and haven't seen anyone wearing an N95 either.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Marty wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:04 am Then what will protect Jack Shit?

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have a yuuuuuge stash of N95 masks I bought in bulk when air pollution was bad last year to profit from.

Not so many people bought them, and funnily enough, I could make 1000% on each one now, but instead myself and the gf and our kids have them for our own use.

I just wear them going to the shop or bank/etc for reassuring others more than anything else.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

mask don't protect you
but science indicates when everyone wears one there is less transmission

so #WearAFuckingMask in public
please

monstra mihi bona!
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

I just returned from the supermarket.

They had much fewer people manning the store, so I inquired:

A lot of their employees have stopped working, presumably because they are scared.

Most people in the store were wearing masks.
Some weren't, and I could sense that this scares staff!

Please wear a mask, use the provided disinfectant (or your own) and keep a distance. Make it at least 6 ft. (2 meters), and more if you can.

Every little thing counts.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

No need for an official lockdown here. People are mostly locking themselves down out of fear.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

With the crowds and mayhem at morchit busterminal yesterday we will see in the upcoming weeks how these cheap cloth masks really protect you from a virus.
My guess would be close to zero and I expect a sharp rise because of that shitshow.
Kudos to the competent authorities there for organizing it so greatly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic