Just as a quick show of hands...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Returning to the motherland

Yes. I've already left Cambodia
7%
I have bought my ticket and just waiting for the flight
No votes
I haven't made any definite plans but it's highly likely I will in the very near future
No votes
It remains an option but for now I'm just going to sit it out
13%
It remains an option but is very unlikely I will
27%
I don't even view it as an option. I'm here to stay regardless.
53%

Total votes: 30
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Just as a quick show of hands...

Post by xandreu »

I'm interested to see what people's opinions are regarding returning home to their motherlands due to the virus...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
camgolian
Expatriate
Mongolia

Re: Just as a quick show of hands...

Post by camgolian »

I'm getting a lot of push from family to return home...."Things are horrible here. Everything is shut down. You really need to come back!"....WTF lol why would i want to go back to that lol...i'm not worried about the virus so much as possible rising crime in PP over the next few weeks and months...but for now* i'll happily take my chances here thank you very much..
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I'm in the 'undecided' category but I reckon there's little time left to decide before flights cancel or borders close.

While I'm tempted to retreat to the safety and better healthcare of the motherland, I also would have to leave Mrs Cargo behind.

And who knows how long before one can come back? And how bad it might get here? Difficult decisions.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I return to OZ every six months for 2 to 3 weeks, so my return trip was already planed in advance , irrespective of any virus. My only problem is how / when do I get back to Cambodia.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I was going to travel to kep next month and move some stuff over for our permanent move over in July
since i, as an american cant get a visa and i think its MUCH Safer/& Healthier here in Thailand
we have put off our move till next year

good luck over there
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I was thinking of moving back as I am on indefinite unpaid leave, but it is not an option now.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Keep it clean people
up to you...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I left to go back see family four weeks ago plan was two months away nothing to do with virus but am worried about when I can get back now missing my girlfriend and don't want to be away to long plus if things turn to shit would like to be by her side , but now Ialso have the safety of being home.
Strange times indead, I've just left my elderly mother in NZ to return to Australia with my kids, not sure if done the right to thing.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

There are many reasons for going back home and many factors need to be considered individually. If only the criteria health is considered: If i was under 50 with no history of any (or multiple) serious issues I would stay in Cambdodia and in case you get it just sit it out with probably no medication needed. For the ones over 50 to 70 its a different gamble and harder to decide. For those 70+ I would suggest travelling home as the medical services @home are by far better than most cambodian options and probably given free of charge.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I always go to the UK for June and December to see my mother who is 78. The last thing I want to do is arrive back and however remote the chances are expose her to the virus, she's self isolating already within safe limits of contact. I'd also now not be able to return to Thailand for the immediate future anyway. I've got 3 flights currently booked, Vietnam Airlines, Etihad back to London and a Thai Airways return to London second half of the year so I'm hoping they will all cancel and I'll get at least an option of a voucher to rebook in the future if not some form of refund.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic