People in shock. Effects on Cambodian economy.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: People in shock. Effects on Cambodian economy.

Post by Jcml19 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm today;

32.5 baht/$1
2 months ago it was 30.4

:please:
Remember not so long ago there was 40 Baht == 4000 r ==USA 1$
LOL

not since 2005 was the baht at 40 =$1
I wnt me some 40 : 1 baht to usd!!! Yhat will be so awesome...
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Call me crazy but I think Cambodian society is actually more resillient than others in that people always knew they had to create their own fortune and could not depend on outside help, apart from their family. Things will bounce back fast once we're over the hump and then very fast once there's a vaccine.

This will all depend on continuing infection rates and how long the extreme border crossing restrictions will last.

Would be nice if all religious groups headed the warnings instead of trying to pray the Corona away.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Josh_76 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:14 pm Call me crazy but I think Cambodian society is actually more resilient ....
Nothing crazy about that. The demographics are wild here where 75% are below the age of 25 but the other quarter have been brought up tough. They know how to live on the run in a forest with nothing more than a bucket barbecue, a krama full of rice and a jar of prahoc, plus anything else they might be able to gather. The people here are a lot more resilient than those fuck-ups fighting over toilet rolls.

Last edited by John Bingham on Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Josh, I really hope your right but my personal feeling is that a lot of people are not prepared at all when it comes to losing their income as they are spending everything as soon as they get it. Crime will probably soar in the forthcoming weeks.
But in general cambodians are used to hardship and really good at fighting to keep their head above the water.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:38 am
Josh_76 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:14 pm Call me crazy but I think Cambodian society is actually more resilient ....
Nothing crazy about that. The demographics are wild here where 75% are below the age of 25 but the other quarter have been brought up tough. They know how to live on the run in a forest with nothing more than a bucket barbecue, a krama full of rice and a jar of prahoc, plus anything else they might be able to gather. The people here are a lot more resilient than those fuck-ups fighting over toilet rolls.

I was thinking about the very young demographics in Cambodia. If the data so far is correct, this virus bounces of the young with little or no serious symptoms. If it was allowed to run wild in Cambodia it would be all over pretty quick.

The young would get it and shrug it off, the older ones would do the same with a few more exceptions and the old would suffer the most but if it became serious such as overwhelming pneumonia that it can create, the victims would succumb very quickly due to a lack of advanced healthcare. It would be over in a matter of a few months.

Cambodia wouldn't need a vaccine, they would have made their own. And then the could let the tourists back in.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Tourists need money.
Disposable money.

The younger cohort of western tourists are the ones most likely to have their savings decimated.
The older crew will be the ones most reluctant to visit Asia for years.

Not all bad news tho'. (twisted wry smile)
The Chinese (imo) will bounce back much quicker than the West.
So the mix, not only the numbers, will suffer.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:11 am The young would get it and shrug it off, the older ones would do the same with a few more exceptions and the old would suffer the most but if it became serious such as overwhelming pneumonia that it can create, the victims would succumb very quickly due to a lack of advanced healthcare. It would be over in a matter of a few months.
It's an interesting idea. However if the mere 25% of Cambodians over the age of 25 were suddenly decimated I feel we would face major problems. There are nice kids but they don't have any experience.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I agree with the sentiment JB ^^
but not the music - that's just plain Wrong
Alexandra Shenea
Tourist
Philippines

Post by Alexandra Shenea »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 am Maybe reducing the Riel to USA $ exchange rate may help . But turning the page, there are also advantages in making the Riel stronger.

Let's go through the possibilities of .

USA $1 = 3,500 r

or

USA $1 = 4,500 r

Riel and the US dollar are both functioning in parallel to support trade and commerce for nearly three decades now. But, US dollars are much preferred when it comes to bulk of transactions. Most private sectors are using US Dollars as payments like for instance, factory workers/ garment workers’ wages. Even in property dealings, retailers and other transactions are in dollars. Meaning, Cambodia as of now is a highly dollar used economy. They want their own currency, which is the Riel, to continuously stable & can be used but as long as the majority uses US dollars, options for their monetary policies in navigating their economy are very limited. Time will tell..
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I saw a news report today that said most medical experts believe there is a 9% chance a vaccine will become available in the next 12 months if one is ever available I see the future world that has to live with this virus and the next logical step is acceptable risk management, that being said why not take these steps now rather then waiting and doing more damage?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic