People in shock. Effects on Cambodian economy.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: People in shock. Effects on Cambodian economy.

Post by Duncan »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:12 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 am Maybe reducing the Riel to USA $ exchange rate may help . But turning the page, there are also advantages in making the Riel stronger.

Let's go through the possibilities of .

USA $1 = 3,500 r

or

USA $1 = 4,500 r

I don't think this would make much difference. a high percentage of the economy is in USD and the riel is like a peripheral currency.

Devaluing the riel would cause a loss of confidence by civil servants and those with assets denominated in riel, which would just contribute to panic. Hopefully the government would realize this and hold steady.

You would have to agree that if a economy , , eg USA ,, is doing well , then the currency is usually strong. The opposite if the economy is poor or badly run. Many examples in the world to show this.

Where do you think the Cambodian economy sits . We use a strong USA $ , so should/is/ the Cambodian economy be strong ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
camgolian
Expatriate
Mongolia

Post by camgolian »

Gov. needs to do something...even a kilo of rie a week would stave bad things for awhile... For HE to protect the government they really should find some, even the minimalist of assistance for the masses..... :beer2:
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Duncan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:20 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:19 am Maybe reducing the Riel to USA $ exchange rate may help . But turning the page, there are also advantages in making the Riel stronger.

USA $1 = 3,500 r

or

USA $1 = 4,500 r

I don't think this would make much difference. a high percentage of the economy is in USD and the riel is like a peripheral currency.

Devaluing the riel would cause a loss of confidence by civil servants and those with assets denominated in riel, which would just contribute to panic. Hopefully the government would realize this and hold steady.

You would have to agree that if a economy , , eg USA ,, is doing well , then the currency is usually strong. The opposite if the economy is poor or badly run. Many examples in the world to show this.

Where do you think the Cambodian economy sits . We use a strong USA $ , so should/is the Cambodian economy be strong ?

Thanks for this, I enjoy an economic discussion. You're right that if an economy is doing well, it's currency tends to be stronger (barring any action by the Central Bank or government). However, Cambodia is not really using it's own money, I've read before that 80-90 percent of the economy is USD.

Although a devaluation of the riel by Cambodian citizens selling off the riel is possible, given the small amount of riel in circulation it would be relatively easier for the Cambodian government to support the riel. Further, I predict that most Cambodians will not sell the riel because those who want dollars already have their assets in dollars. And further, many normal Cambodian people use riel on a daily basis.

Regarding dollarization and the strength of the Cambodian economy, for a long time I believed that using the US dollar is helping Cambodia. It seemed to me that many foreign investors in Asia were investing in Cambodia in order to have assets in USD. In the case of an economic crisis, Cambodia could continue to attract inflows for this same reason.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:32 pm

USA $1 = 3,500 r

or

USA $1 = 4,500 r

Where do you think the Cambodian economy sits . We use a strong USA $ , so should/is the Cambodian economy be strong ?

Thanks for this, I enjoy an economic discussion. You're right that if an economy is doing well, it's currency tends to be stronger (barring any action by the Central Bank or government). However, Cambodia is not really using it's own money, I've read before that 80-90 percent of the economy is USD.

Although a devaluation of the riel by Cambodian citizens selling off the riel is possible, given the small amount of riel in circulation it would be relatively easier for the Cambodian government to support the riel. Further, I predict that most Cambodians will not sell the riel because those who want dollars already have their assets in dollars. And further, many normal Cambodian people use riel on a daily basis.

Regarding dollarization and the strength of the Cambodian economy, for a long time I believed that using the US dollar is helping Cambodia. It seemed to me that many foreign investors in Asia were investing in Cambodia in order to have assets in USD. In the case of an economic crisis, Cambodia could continue to attract inflows for this same reason.

OK,, good input,, so whats your view on a revaluation of the riel. Remember not so long ago there was 40 Baht == 4000 r ==USA 1$

Now roughly , 30 Baht = 4000 r = USA 1$. Thailand has a strong economy ??
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Duncan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:42 pm

USA $1 = 3,500 r

or

USA $1 = 4,500 r

OK,, good input,, so whats your view on a revaluation of the riel. Remember not so long ago there was 40 Baht == 4000 r ==USA 1$

It could happen if the USD continues to be used as a safe haven and therefor gets stronger. Then is will be increasingly expensive to hold the current peg as the NBC would have to sell Dollars.
But i still think it’s unlikely. A massive devaluation (like other countries did in 97) would screw up the agricultural sector where it is still the main currency.
Other segments of the economy are pretty much purely transacting in USD. The stuff I bring in, the stuff I bring out, my staff’s salaries, the place i bought.... never touched a Riel.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Median age here is something like 24 if I recall correctly. Even with bad healthcare the outcome probably wouldn't be nearly as catastrophic as in Italy. I'm with the General in that it's been allowed bring the whole world to it's knees. Plenty of people die of other causes every year, but no one bats an eyelid. I know one gets lambasted for even mentioning it, but it still holds true. I guess it's simply easier for people to focus on this than other issues (climate change, for example). The economic outcome won't be good, but people will scrape through.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

today;

32.5 baht/$1
2 months ago it was 30.4

:please:
Remember not so long ago there was 40 Baht == 4000 r ==USA 1$
LOL

not since 2005 was the baht at 40 =$1
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Duncan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:42 pm

USA $1 = 3,500 r

or

USA $1 = 4,500 r

I don't think you can really compare the riel and the baht, because, as I said, the Khmer riel is like a peripheral currency and the USD is the main currency of Cambodia.

For this link, https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from ... B&view=10Y It shows that the lowest rate of the Baht was 36.5 in the last 10 years. Why it was that low or why it bounced back I don't know as I don't follow the Thai economy.

But generally, the exchange rate for a country like Thailand is a combination of market forces and government or central bank policy.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm today;

32.5 baht/$1
2 months ago it was 30.4

:please:
Remember not so long ago there was 40 Baht == 4000 r ==USA 1$
LOL

not since 2005 was the baht at 40 =$1

When you are 72 years old , 2005 , that's only 15 years ago,,, As I said,, not so long ago.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

orussey98 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:23 am We can expect many tourist actors to go bankrupt this year.
Didn't know there was much of a movie industry here for foreigners :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic