Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Post by offroadscholar »

beaker wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 am
offroadscholar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:06 am
Spigzy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:36 am Not sure if you can get anything from the US, Last Friday I got some stuff via Amazon/DHL delivered in 2 working days despite the warning it might take longer than usual.
DHL/Fedex/UPS still work.
However a 29inch rim, albeit light weight, is very bulky so I expect the shipping by courier from the states would be similar to UPS from China, ie several hundred dollars.
My rim with the spokes to lace my motor to it was $50. shipping using FedEx from the US
When was that, and which vendor ? $50 shipped via Fedex would be acceptable.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This was on Facebook today, selling in Cambodia.
350W motor, 4 hours charge giving a distance of 45km @40kmh, weight 120kg
Price for 2019 model $320
Price for 2020 model $370

Always "hope" but never "expect".
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

offroadscholar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 am
beaker wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 am
offroadscholar wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:06 am
Spigzy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:36 am Not sure if you can get anything from the US, Last Friday I got some stuff via Amazon/DHL delivered in 2 working days despite the warning it might take longer than usual.
DHL/Fedex/UPS still work.
However a 29inch rim, albeit light weight, is very bulky so I expect the shipping by courier from the states would be similar to UPS from China, ie several hundred dollars.
My rim with the spokes to lace my motor to it was $50. shipping using FedEx from the US
When was that, and which vendor ? $50 shipped via Fedex would be acceptable.
I had to order a new rim because I got the wrong size with my kit that included motor laced to a rim, brake cut off switches, throttle, PAS and controller.
So I had to order a new rim from them but they don't usually just sell rims, sorry.
Like most ebike kit sellers they don't have the 29" wheel kits as most people use mountain bikes for conversion due to there strength and wider range of terrain adaptable. Mountain bike frames are sized by straddling the top tube you need to be able to lift the front tire off the ground by 3-4 inches without contacting you groin so are on the smaller size range.
If you haven't already bought your ebike kit maybe you should consider another bike.
The 1.5 inch extra wheel you gain with the 29 over a 27.7 is not going to make a noticeable gain in riding over a bump
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

I do intend to use a mtb as the donor bike, but preferably a 29er. Most M to L mtbs sold these days are 27.5 or 29 rims.
Agree that it is still harder to get after-market 36H 29"rims though.

https://ncycle.en.alibaba.com/ agreed to sell me just the 29" 36H mtb rim, but wanted $300 for shipping via UPS. I'm sure if they tried they could ship by another courier for much cheaper, but probably not bothered for a one-off.

Your $50 price with Fedex, HK to PP, sounds about right.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Regarding the Voltra motors; apart from the fact they are not designed by a French dude and made here (Chinese) they are pretty good and have big (16”) wheels which is great for comfort.
They’ve now got lots in stock at their showroom in PP.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

whatwat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:32 am Regarding the Voltra motors; apart from the fact they are not designed by a French dude and made here (Chinese) they are pretty good and have big (16”) wheels which is great for comfort.
Why would anyone want a 16" wheel ?
The biggest problem to overcome when selecting an ebike parts provider is getting a company that can and will ship the battery to Cambodia.
Beware many sell you a battery and kit only later to inform you that they can't ship the battery to Cambodia this has happened to me with several sellers.
There is only one company I have found they sell ebike kit and batteries my first batter had to be shipped to Vietnam then brought into the country by a very small courier company. The latest battery I got from them was sent by FedEX and the shipping was free.
There are also ebike parts suppliers in Thailand these days so when things open up again for travel one could go there to get a bike or parts and actually set eyes on the product you are buying. Thou flying back with a battery may be problematic some have said that putting them in carry on luggage was acceptable but not in luggage going into the planes hold. Returning by bus/taxi would be my choice to bring back the goods/ebike.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

beaker wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 am
whatwat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:32 am Regarding the Voltra motors; apart from the fact they are not designed by a French dude and made here (Chinese) they are pretty good and have big (16”) wheels which is great for comfort.
The biggest problem to overcome when selecting an ebike parts provider is getting a company that can and will ship the battery to Cambodia.
Beware many sell you a battery and kit only later to inform you that they can't ship the battery to Cambodia this has happened to me with several sellers.
There is only one company I have found they sell ebike kit and batteries my first batter had to be shipped to Vietnam then brought into the country by a very small courier company. The latest battery I got from them was sent by FedEX and the shipping was free.
There are also ebike parts suppliers in Thailand these days so when things open up again for travel one could go there to get a bike or parts and actually set eyes on the product you are buying. Thou flying back with a battery may be problematic some have said that putting them in carry on luggage was acceptable but not in luggage going into the planes hold. Returning by bus/taxi would be my choice to bring back the goods/ebike.
Sorry, they are 18”.
Compared to most electric scooters that’s a big wheel.

But as we are taking about E-bikes it’s a mute point. I looked on AliExpress and yes no batteries.
Aren’t they just the same as normal batteries just packaged up in a container?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

whatwat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am
Sorry, they are 18”.

But as we are taking about E-bikes it’s a mute point. I looked on AliExpress and yes no batteries.
They are usually li-ion 18650 cell that are just as problematic to have imported in sufficient quantities for an ebike and usually hard to source and expensive $5+ each. Companies who make lots of ebike batteries get them for less by buying 1000s at once. A person would also need a spot welder, pure nickel strips, battery case, BMS and the experience to make.
My battery is 52v17.5Ah so takes 98 Samsung batteries @ $5 each so it would be $490 plus the shipping which is expensive because it is considered hazardous material so it was cheaper just to by completed battery with warranty for $600
jimi hendrix
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Graphene batteries will change the whole e-bike industry and everything else that runs a battery. I can't wait for them to be at a reasonable price point and better availability. But that will take a while.
Still here, in country...
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

beaker wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm
whatwat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am
Sorry, they are 18”.

They are usually li-ion 18650 cell that are just as problematic to have imported in sufficient quantities for an ebike and usually hard to source and expensive $5+ each. Companies who make lots of ebike batteries get them for less by buying 1000s at once. A person would also need a spot welder, pure nickel strips, battery case, BMS and the experience to make.
My battery is 52v17.5Ah so takes 98 Samsung batteries @ $5 each so it would be $490 plus the shipping which is expensive because it is considered hazardous material so it was cheaper just to by completed battery with warranty for $600
Did you have to pay import tax on the battery ?
I suspect in this time of Covid19 the GoC will be looking to maximum revenue where they can.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic