Flying into Cambodia from Thailand for visa run with UK passport

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Flying into Cambodia from Thailand for visa run with UK passport

Post by Randolphgb »

Is it still possible to fly into Cambodia with a UK passport? I've read that there is a travel ban from United States, Germany, Italy, France, Spain and Iran are temporarily banned from the Kingdom.

This is only a short visa run but I'm concerned UK passports could be denied entry or I won't be able to return to Thailand.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50702061/c ... ke-effect/
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Flying into Cambodia from Thailand for visa run with UK passport

Post by Kammekor »

The situation is so fluid now, things are changing every day.

I'm intending to fly into Cambodia tomorrow morning, and my wife is worried because the news on the local rado is buzzing about a full lockdown / closure.

Personally, I wouldn't risk a multi day visa run now, but instead try a multi hour visa run by bus.
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Randolphgb »

Jeez, really worrying. Could get on the plane and it could have changed before it lands
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Currently there are no restrictions on UK passport holders or travellers from Thailand entering Cambodia.

The situation is constantly evolving though, worth noting that Cambodia have been giving 3 days advance notice of travel restrictions, so get in quick if you are coming.
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Randolphgb »

Thanks, yes it will be Friday. Currently still no restrictions so hoping this should be enough time. As per returning to Thailand, they would give notice before any restrictions.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

"BANGKOK, March 19 (CNN) - Thailand will require health certificates for all incoming travelers, the country’s Civil Aviation Authority announced today."
http://m.en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php ... 20-51.html
up to you...
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Randolphgb wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:02 pm Thanks, yes it will be Friday. Currently still no restrictions so hoping this should be enough time. As per returning to Thailand, they would give notice before any restrictions.
I don't see any restrictions on travellers flying from Cambodia to Thailand. This story link just posted this afternoon:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rtificates
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:49 pm
Randolphgb wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:02 pm Thanks, yes it will be Friday. Currently still no restrictions so hoping this should be enough time. As per returning to Thailand, they would give notice before any restrictions.
I don't see any restrictions on travellers flying from Cambodia to Thailand. This story link just posted this afternoon:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rtificates
Part of the conditions in that report state,

Airlines must also require that passengers from these places to have insurance covering Covid-19 treatment in Thailand, up to at least US$100,000.

Is there now a specific Covid-19 insurance policy which must be purchased? Or will a current medical insurance policy suffice? Are the Thai authorities seriously expecting check-in staff to read all the exclusions in everyones existing policy and make a judgement that your current policy covers Covid-19? Given that it is so new, no existing policy will specifically mention it as part of the coverage. Indeed, any exclusion relating to pandemics or acts of god could arguably be interpreted as to exclude Covid-19.

Assuming you can convince some young girl at the check-in at Heathrow of the veracity of your policy, are the Thai authorities going to do their own inspection of your insurance policy and make their own judgement of whether it covers Covid-19? What if the policy is in English, French or German, are they going to have expert technical translators on hand to read these policies? I can't see how this is going to work. I can't see why anyone would want to take that risk.

It also says,
Airlines must require passengers from those infected zones and 11 ongoing local transmission areas to present health certificates issued no more than 72 hours before the flight departs. The certificates must guarantee that the passengers are free of Covid-19.

No doctor, clinic or laboratory is going to offer such a guarantee. You'll get back, at best, a positive or negative result. If you then ask them to provide a letter of guarantee to produce to an airline (who are also on the hook for all repatriation costs too) they would be very unwise to give such an onerous guarantee. You may be negative at the time of testing but nobody can guarantee you will not be infected by the time you get to Thailand. And nobody will want to risk litigation with an airline claiming $1000's for all their costs.

Until this thing has done it's worst in the next 2 or 3 months it is going to be nearly impossible to travel long haul without much grief, great risk and high costs.

Hunker down and keep well everyone....
Kala283
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Kala283 »

Im thinking about flying from bangkok to phnom pehn on sat with a uk passport hoping to stay a while, anyone know if there are still no restrictions? And will i have to self isolate for 14 days on arrival & how does that work?
Cheers
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

If you've gotta self isolate I highly bringing reading material, especially The Joy of Solo Sex by Harold Litten and More Joy: An Advanced Guide to Solo Sex by Harold Litten (Author), and Rod Shows (Illustrator).
Or even better get the video versions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic