A word of warning over Transferwise

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A word of warning over Transferwise

Post by Soriya »

I have used transferwise to move money from uk to here and reverse for 2 years.always only been charged the fees stated
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Soriya wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:19 pm I have used transferwise to move money from uk to here and reverse for 2 years.always only been charged the fees stated
Same. A basic SWIFT transfer only costs £20 from the UK, and TW is usually significantly less than this. I paid £7.50 on $1500 last time.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

xandreu wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:01 pm It's not the fees which bother me, it's that they don't make this clear during the transaction process. When they give you a fee and tell you the amount you will receive in your Cambodian account, you take that in good faith and expect that money to end up in your bank account.

Even if they said something like 'Please be aware that as you are transferring to Cambodia, this may incur additional fees' but there was nothing of the sort.

In their email reply to me, they tried to explain the steps and where the money has gone. They begin by telling me that my original account would have charged me an initial fee for starting the process - they didn't, it was a simple bank transfer which is free (I have checked my account) - and then they tried to tell me my receiving bank will have charged me a fee - they didn't. ABA no longer charges for international transfers (I have checked the account and they now state in their website that they don't charge fees for this anymore).

It all seems a bit underhand to me. A bit of transparency is needed.
All international transfers incur Intermediary bank fees. To minimise the cost you need to specify a correspondent bank that is used by both transferwise and the cambodian bank. In general wells fargo in new york seems to work for most uk to cambodia transfers. When you send from uk they always charge £30 to £50.
When you send from cambodia you can pay in the bank. At acleda the cost is $30 for wire transfer if you tell them you want to pay the fee from your account. Otherwise the intermediary bank will deduct it from the sum your send. I have been charged 2intermediary fees by a certain british bank and appealed and got it back. banks are under a duty of care to minimise costs by using the most eficient route
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have been planning on sending small amounts of money to the kids through ABA in Cambodia every month, aprox A $300 plus fee of $15 , which OZFOREX says I should get in Cambodia USA $178 ,, Exchange rate A$1 = .60,,,, less intermediary bank fee. If they take USA $50 there's not much left.

Any other suggestions like Western Union , or Wing ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Duncan Do you and your kids have accounts at ABA?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cooldude wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:58 pm Duncan Do you and your kids have accounts at ABA?
I dont, The kids do.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Duncan wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:32 pm I have been planning on sending small amounts of money to the kids through ABA in Cambodia every month, aprox A $300 plus fee of $15 , which OZFOREX says I should get in Cambodia USA $178 ,, Exchange rate A$1 = .60,,,, less intermediary bank fee. If they take USA $50 there's not much left.

Any other suggestions like Western Union , or Wing ?
I found for smaller amounts, AudSmart is the best as they absorb all fees..so what they quote you is what you get in your account. The exchange rate is not as good BUT there is no incoming bank fee nor intermediary fee. So I just did a quote $A300>$US175.73 (0.586) so that's only a few dollars less but you don't cop the additional fees of $US68.20 with Transferwise (see breakdown below). https://audsmart.com/en/

I did a couple of transactions a few weeks ago to test things out:

1. AudSmart > Acleda least favourable forex rate BUT no fees

2. Transferwise > ABA better forex rate (after their internal fees) but added fees: swift transfer $US3.20, ABA incoming $US10, intermediary bank fee $US55

I looked into OZFOREX and found they were not as good as Transferwise for smaller amounts but better for larger amounts eg $A150K+ NB either way with these 2, you will be hit with other bank transfer fees mentioned above.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Duncan If you both have accounts at ABA, it's really easy to move money between accounts free of charge. Best way to give money to someone in Cambodia when you're out of the country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic