Visa extension

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Visa extension

Post by chiltern » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:54 pm

I was due to fly from Kuala Lumpur after spending two months here on my tourist visa and extension but now they have closed their borders until April. Any ideas how immigration will treat people who over stay their visas due to travel restrictions
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visa extension

Post by timmydownawell » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:59 pm

Would be nice to think they might forgive overstayers in these circumstances. Otherwise you/we might be forced to do visa runs to Thailand or somewhere else in the meantime.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:08 pm

chiltern wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:54 pm
Any ideas how immigration will treat people who over stay their visas due to travel restrictions
like this?

seriously though, they need a solution

monstra mihi bona!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:03 pm

Knowing Cambodia they will treat it as if it is your problem. On the positive side, they do have the $10 per day overstay option (although I’m not sure the Maximum number of days).

If you’re not one of the 5 banned nationalities you could do a border run to Thailand.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:25 pm

I hope everything works out well for you.
One idea:
Perhaps have a travel agent ask on your behalf (without revealing your details!) whether immigration can offer some kind of emergency extension for an already extended tourist visa under these extraordinary circumstances.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic