whats happening in your area of Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

whats happening in your area of Cambodia

Post by AndyKK »

Just general question is what is happening in the area where members are living in the Kingdom. Any problems in this time of the virus, are places open, such as shops and banks, also if subject to change at anytime what notice is generally given, plus mood and action of locals living in the area, pharmacists and doctors still open, basically any updates on situations.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: whats happening in your area of Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Northeast: everything normal, a concert organized by a popular energy drink drew hundreds to the airport last Saturday, so nothing to worry about. Right?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The market I live right next to has been visibly quieter today. I am guessing, as others have noted, people are heading to their families in the province’s. Some are going as they are taking a 2 week unpaid break and we are stocking up on some canned goods and topping the rice bin up.
My live-in cleaner/nanny/housekeeper returned from a 3 day break in the province and she doesn’t seem to be overly concerned. So maybe either they aren’t aware of how serious things could get or they are living in blissful ignorance.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Maybe it's just me but PP seems a bit quieter on the roads. Apart from that, it's business as usual - apart from the schools being closed I guess.

I understand why, in other countries, namely my own (UK) they're telling people to stay inside and 'social distance' themselves from others. It's so that the health service isn't overwhelmed. Everyone knows that everyone will get it at some point, they just don't want everyone to get it at the same time. 'Flatten the curve' so to speak.

But let's be honest, there's no real health service here to speak of anyway. If (when) you get it, your only hope is to stay in bed for a week and hope that you pull through. In that regard, I don't see any point in self isolating yourself unless you show symptoms. I have accepted that somewhere out there is a little tiny spiked bastard floating around in the air with my name on it, and it'll find me sooner or later. This virus is going to be with us for a very long time to come, so why run from it? The old adage of 'You can run but you can't hide' seems appropriate.

Best thing you can do is carry on as normal, take sensible precautions to prevent others from catching it from you, and just get on with your life.

That's my philosophy anyway...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

As things develop, wonder what sort of strategy Cambodia will chose to slow the spread. This Washington Post article breaks down some different strategies and their effectiveness, and the graphics are quite interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

Local market is noticeably quiet and driving around last night it was also much quieter than normal. As I drive around I notice businesses that would normally be open have started to close.

I think the next 3/4 weeks will really test the economy. I don't expect things to open back up until after Khmer new year so I hope everyone has some pennies saved to see them through.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

mcam wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:16 am Local market is noticeably quiet and driving around last night it was also much quieter than normal. As I drive around I notice businesses that would normally be open have started to close.

I think the next 3/4 weeks will really test the economy. I don't expect things to open back up until after Khmer new year so I hope everyone has some pennies saved to see them through.
We estimate over 50% of stall holders who would normally be jammed in like sardines on the street alongside samaki market are absent today. It is looking like khmer new year, as you say.

This is going to hurt a huge number of people.

But on a positive note at least the internet is still working.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I am kinda on the move but that maybe at a somewhat slow pace with conflicting information. We have been in the partners home province of Kampong Cham for sometime, and also the city, that's when I find out some of the tourists are in isolation in the next hotel to us on the Riverside, this as worried local people about the virus, although many are very clued up and informed about the situation. But some locals are pointing blame toward Western travelers for bringing the virus. For a few days, police were sitting at the hotel keeping a watch on traveling guests, I was informed by them that I should be wearing a mask, also staff in the restaurant had been wearing masks too.
Only encountered one incident we're my partner was refused to buy rice at the food stalls at the local market, where they actually made fun of her too, throwing rice around and being impolite in general towards her, this because she was with me. Such also was the fruit sellers too wouldn't sell to tourists.
Now the situation is a number of restaurants and hotels have closed for a period while it is now quite. Also the mood and blame like some others have mentioned on the site, the shift of blame now is towards the Muslims. I was a little concerned yesterday about closer of places, thinking best go to the bank just in case they might do the same, all staff had masks, I had filled in the withdrawal slip while waiting my turn to be told I had to fill another in with the bank teller present, was also refused that one because I had not like she remarked not put a dot after my signature, also then joined by another member of staff asked if this was my branch? I replied that it didn't matter where the branch was started I could like anyone with an account use any bank branch, I then was told to take a seat while they would talk to be their supervisor, I was given my withdrawal after waiting for sometime.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I came over the border and hence had to find somewhere to stay. I have been to many of the hotels and guesthouses in town, and many of them said they were full, seemingly inexplicably. They said things like a group is coming for a conference, a big group of students booked all the rooms. Another place said all the rooms upstairs are booked. Others were just undesirable as they were overpriced or were not very nice places.

Struggling to decide whether I believe all these places are full or just making excuses not to take guests.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:28 am I came over the border and hence had to find somewhere to stay. I have been to many of the hotels and guesthouses in town, and many of them said they were full, seemingly inexplicably. They said things like a group is coming for a conference, a big group of students booked all the rooms. Another place said all the rooms upstairs are booked. Others were just undesirable as they were overpriced or were not very nice places.

Struggling to decide whether I believe all these places are full or just making excuses not to take guests.
“group coming for a conference” 😂

many hotels currently stigmatise travellers that recently crossed borders. Hope you’ll find a place!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic