whats happening in your area of Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: whats happening in your area of Cambodia

Post by WildA »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 pm
WildA wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 pm If you coming to Siem, the clubs are closed, Pub street is dead.
Yes I am coming! But slowly in a way because I want to look at a few sights on the way. It will come right in the end.
I did send a few messages to members here who live in Siam Reap and I mainly received. "Sorry I don't know".
So, anyone living there, are hotel's accepting new guests, are restraunts serving food, is Angkor Park open?

You may never get to touch the Master, but you can tickle his creatures.
You can had to your quote - in reaction don't get cross if you are turned away, the big boss has issued a number and officals will sort out the problem that may be caused.
Hotels are accepting new guests.
Restaurants are open.
"Clubs" are closed.
The park is still open.

All as of this morning.

You should always attribute a Pynchon quote so its clear that you arent trying to make folks think you came up with such wisdom :)
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
LinDa777
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LinDa777 »

AndyKK wrote:
WildA wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 pm If you coming to Siem, the clubs are closed, Pub street is dead.
Yes I am coming! But slowly in a way because I want to look at a few sights on the way. It will come right in the end.
I did send a few messages to members here who live in Siam Reap and I mainly received. "Sorry I don't know".
So, anyone living there, are hotel's accepting new guests, are restraunts serving food, is Angkor Park open?

You may never get to touch the Master, but you can tickle his creatures.
You can had to your quote - in reaction don't get cross if you are turned away, the big boss has issued a number and officals will sort out the problem that may be caused.
Andy I just saw this and remembered your comments here, maybe it’s not useful but here it is anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

My recon mission last night proved fruitful and I would suggest you not come.
I had a wonderful time with my Khmer friends and don't go to any of the places that are closed anyway.
why don't you stay some place for 2 weeks like the rest of the fucking planet instead of roaming around like you are following a river boat cruise ship full of sick folks?
No wonder barang joints are shuttered. The entire barang world is advising it.
You can probably get 10 refrigerator magnets for a dollar from some kid right now...at Angkor Wat.
You might be a carrier and you are running around getting all bent when people shun you.
why not see if the great wall of china is open?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

j57 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:23 pm My recon mission last night proved fruitful and I would suggest you not come.
I had a wonderful time with my Khmer friends and don't go to any of the places that are closed anyway.
why don't you stay some place for 2 weeks like the rest of the fucking planet instead of roaming around like you are following a river boat cruise ship full of sick folks?
No wonder barang joints are shuttered. The entire barang world is advising it.
You can probably get 10 refrigerator magnets for a dollar from some kid right now...at Angkor Wat.
You might be a carrier and you are running around getting all bent when people shun you.
why not see if the great wall of china is open?
You know j57 your post is highly hypocritical - quote "my recon mission last night proved fruitful". What are you GI Joe. You say you don't go to places that are closed, yes it would be difficult. Of the likes of people that may shun me, do you think you would possibly get a more welcoming acceptance,
You say you had a wonderful time with your Khmer friends. Then you carry on to remark that I should be staying at one place. But you also carry on to imply I am now that of a possible carrier. Too end, you said "So you simply suggest I do not come". You must be very highly qualified on the subject at this unfortunate time. I would say to you we visited Kampong Cham because my partner was worried naturally about her own family there. Also I could see one or two friends, one being the Khmer hotel owner where we stayed. I also think traveling by motorcycle is better then the bus, again contact with people, I would suggest your recon mission had you having more contact then what we may have in the journey to date.
j57 would you consider telling me once again what are your professional reasons and advice of why I should not visit Angkor Park when there is very few visitors, also the big boss has offer the entrance price at this time of two days for one. I had also decided to take this time of it being that more quieter due to my partner having a terminal illness, and Angkor she has never seen.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Unfortunately due to my partners illness our trip is now over with us returning to our home in Phnom Penh last night.
What is to be said most people are getting on with normality with their lives and work in the areas we had visited. The two main reasons were to visit the Khmer family in the province of Kampong Cham, like j57 stated about river boat cruise on the Mekong river where people had been diagnosed with the virus, didn't do us any favours on our stay. People around that time were worried, but after a time things started to settle again. Trying out the bike was the second reason, and again the mode of travel against contact with the virus must be better then sitting in a packed mini-bus.
I would like to thank all who replied to my questions. But there is one more! I am very well travelled in parts of Cambodia. But where do you think you are safe, in the big cities or in the country?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampot expats party on regardless:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

My bar in Siem Reap closed a few days ago... probably for good...So, my recon on the 20th was a farewell...
Angkor Market was well stocked 2 days ago...but, I noticed that my New Zealand butter...was produced in October 2018 and had a best before date of October 2020.
Kept frozen for years..I suppose until placed in the display cooler..
My wife just returned from the local Khmer market with every Khmer green, veggie and aromatic possible and her customary bag of fish heads...
I would say it is best here in Siem Reap because of my living conditions and the markets.
I sure as hell am glad I am not back in Kampong Cham in her village fighting over stuff..
I hear markets are closed and it seems to me it would be a tough go....
I spoke to my old neighbor/pal in Kampot a few days ago and he was doing fine and was enjoying the Yacht club/purple bar and his tuk tuk guy was taking care of his getting around needs...He is a great cook and has 2 fridges...so, he is a tough Northern Aussie who can hang...
I bet he knows about the party..
I am very lucky to have gotten back here in late January ..found a new apartment with a pool and a generator....it kicked on yesterday for a while.
My heart goes out to everyone struggling...
I really feel for stranded folks who have run up their credit cards on 2nd flights home that were cancelled.
I ran out of vanilla and subbed dark rum in a coffee cake I baked yesterday....to compare challenges.
I have 3kg of Colombian Supremo coffee beans left.
So, I would say if you have a home..stock it up and be thankful you have a home to hunker down in...
By the amount and quality of the foodstuffs my wife returned with: It is business as usual at the Khmer market.
I am going to start baking my own sandwich rolls and bread...
I already make pizza dough and the brick of yeast needs to be used.
So, good luck everyone.
I will miss JD and the gang at the Soul Train Reggae Bar in Siem Reap...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampot Party Town
2 April 2020
News from Kampot says that many expats continue to party on regardless of the progressive shutdown of bars and restaurants in the town. The obvious riverside tourist area has been shut down by police, but some expats and tourists continue to congregate in bars off the main drag. 90% of foreigners are behaving responsibly, but local people are hearing that 10% who continue to party very loudly, like there is no tomorrow and nothing is more important than their fun time.
However; the party premises are mostly Khmer owned and managed (and protected by police); according to the same source.

Strangely, most of these expat party people are from Britain, the US, France and Italy, where their compatriots are suffering and dying because the reaction to coronavirus was taken too late and not seriously enough.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:55 pm Kampot Party Town
2 April 2020
News from Kampot says that many expats continue to party on regardless of the progressive shutdown of bars and restaurants in the town. The obvious riverside tourist area has been shut down by police, but some expats and tourists continue to congregate in bars off the main drag. 90% of foreigners are behaving responsibly, but local people are hearing that 10% who continue to party very loudly, like there is no tomorrow and nothing is more important than their fun time.
However; the party premises are mostly Khmer owned and managed (and protected by police); according to the same source.

Strangely, most of these expat party people are from Britain, the US, France and Italy, where their compatriots are suffering and dying because the reaction to coronavirus was taken too late and not seriously enough.
My local hangout is still open, albiet with virtually no staff and only the basrest skeleton of semi permanent guests and expats. The music plays, a few joints get lit, social diatances are maintained, hands are washed, I have no problem with that....99% of the time I stay home because I have a pool and all sorts of luxuries.

Lots of these so called "expats" being referred to are here illegally anyway, guaranteed. Folks in Siem Reap are already nervous becuase everybody is hearing rumours of an immigration sweep. After all, when you are 23 and dressed like a unbathed clown without any money, or a job, what kind of Visa ya here on buddy?

I hope all of you are safe, washing your hands ands staying healthy!
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase:
In my current area of Cambodia :fool: ( Sokn Sant ,78 k m North of Sen Monorom). I have been instructing the local residents the joys & benefits of long distance darts. We play a Kiwi version with the distances between 15 to 34 meters.The target is a painted beer box and the winner saviors the remaining contents. Semi - naked ladies watch on in between puffs of their smoking pipes,rain swollen clouds drift by and the world seems Shantti / and ticking over at its glorious slow pace.
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic