whats happening in your area of Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: whats happening in your area of Cambodia

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Yeah I already have a place to stay but wanted to change for various reasons.

What makes you think, or what is your source that "many hotels currently stigmatise travellers that recently crossed borders"?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 pm Yeah I already have a place to stay but wanted to change for various reasons.

What makes you think, or what is your source that "many hotels currently stigmatise travellers that recently crossed borders"?
It seems that the people see it has foreigners are bringing the corona virus because they are the ones whom are infected. I am afraid and aware of this situation that's the reason I was to start this thread. I am actually on the move again and the idea was to write another travel thread and post on the site. It was probably the wrong time to do so because of the situation, but at the time of first setting off on the journey all was well, but I am afraid it's not like that now. We moved on from Kampong Cham early evening yesterday towards Siam Reap where we hope to visit Angkor. But with the situation we will have to see. Last night we were refused stay at two hotels, the third we were expected, and we had one of the staff get us take-away food because we didn't want to find ourselves in a situation of rejection again. I hope the situation will change for the better soon.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

If you coming to Siem, the clubs are closed, Pub street is dead.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 pm Yeah I already have a place to stay but wanted to change for various reasons.

It seems that the people see it has foreigners are bringing the corona virus because they are the ones whom are infected. I am afraid and aware of this situation that's the reason I was to start this thread. I am actually on the move again and the idea was to write another travel thread and post on the site. It was probably the wrong time to do so because of the situation, but at the time of first setting off on the journey all was well, but I am afraid it's not like that now. We moved on from Kampong Cham early evening yesterday towards Siam Reap where we hope to visit Angkor. But with the situation we will have to see. Last night we were refused stay at two hotels, the third we were expected, and we had one of the staff get us take-away food because we didn't want to find ourselves in a situation of rejection again. I hope the situation will change for the better soon.
I got your point about Kampong Cham, that makes more sense when they recently had two foreigners there that had the C19 and were also being quarantined nearby. That would make some people concerned.

In Siem Reap I am surprised this happened unless the hotels were completely closed down. Probably soon Cambodia will have "community transmission" and then it will make little sense to differentiate between Cambodian and foreigner.

Where I am there have been almost zero cases and also I was coming from Thailand which has a very small number of cases.
Irony Man
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Irony Man »

I rarely shop, but It was quite uncomfortable shopping around Toul Tom Pong today, even though I shopped at foreigner-oriented supermarkets.
One cashier tried to hand me off to another counter.
A pair of Chinese women (but probably Chinese-Khmer) almost pushed each other out of my path as I sauntered along an aisle. I honestly felt like punching them in the face at the hypocrisy.
Have Chinese people in Cambodia been experiencing this? I haven't seen it. But as soon as Caucasians are suspect, they bring out the garlic. I get the feeling that any future world war is likely to be Asians versus Westerners.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Irony Man wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:49 pm I rarely shop, but It was quite uncomfortable shopping around Toul Tom Pong today, even though I shopped at foreigner-oriented supermarkets.
A pair of Chinese women (but probably Chinese-Khmer) almost pushed each other out of my path as I sauntered along an aisle. I honestly felt like punching them in the face at the hypocrisy.
Have Chinese people in Cambodia been experiencing this? I haven't seen it. But as soon as Caucasians are suspect, they bring out the garlic. I get the feeling that any future world war is likely to be Asians versus Westerners.
Forgive them if u can, 'cause they're just freaking STUPID!
nave
Expatriate

Post by nave »

Irony Man wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:49 pm I rarely shop, but It was quite uncomfortable shopping around Toul Tom Pong today, even though I shopped at foreigner-oriented supermarkets.
Not to justify any of what happend, but similar things did happen to east asians in europe a while ago (ex. bullied when wearing surgical masks).
I sadly guess it's a part of human nature...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

WildA wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:49 pm If you coming to Siem, the clubs are closed, Pub street is dead.
Yes I am coming! But slowly in a way because I want to look at a few sights on the way. It will come right in the end.
I did send a few messages to members here who live in Siam Reap and I mainly received. "Sorry I don't know".
So, anyone living there, are hotel's accepting new guests, are restraunts serving food, is Angkor Park open?

You may never get to touch the Master, but you can tickle his creatures.
You can had to your quote - in reaction don't get cross if you are turned away, the big boss has issued a number and officals will sort out the problem that may be caused.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm
Pushing on AKK-47. excellent. into a whole new other realm
onya bro
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

if cv doesn't spread locally
anyone obviously foreign is going to be a pariah until this is over
despite logic

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic