Bar Closures in Phnom Penh Over COVID-19?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bar Closures in Phnom Penh Over COVID-19?

Post by Soriya »

I have seen a few facebook posts regards bars being closed in PP. Any bar owners with info regards this?
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Re: Bar closures in PP

Post by theKid »

Mate, they are bleeding cash every day. One owner told me that some restaurants and bars around Riverside have not had a single customer (!!!) in several days now.
If that doesn’t shut them, then a government policy similar to Manila and Bangkok will.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

theKid wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:26 pm Mate, they are bleeding cash every day. One owner told me that some restaurants and bars around Riverside have not had a single customer (!!!) in several days now.
If that doesn’t shut them, then a government policy similar to Manila and Bangkok will.
I mean enforced closures
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I think it's only educational institutions at the moment. Who knows, might be a new directive tomorrow for all we know.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Madness in VN too ATM. Mandatory bar and club closures in D1 but I think that has since been expanded to all of Saigon. Almost eerie walking down Bui Vien at night and encountering almost no one in silence and near darkness without the giant clubs blaring. Almost as quiet as 20 years back. Also very few places to have a beer or get a meal. Many restaurants have also shut or been shut.

If all goes well I am out of here on Wednesday back to Canada and self-isolation. Oh Boy!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

what about bars?
personally, i'd feel slightly embarrassed to be seen out atm
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Rolled past Happy Phnom Penh Pizza today feeling like a happy pizza; all I saw was a shop for rent. I hadn't been there in a while. Maybe a victim of the tourist downturn
Anyone know of any good happy pizza joints?
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:48 pm what about bars?
personally, i'd feel slightly embarrassed to be seen out atm
Why?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Everyone on the ground in PP get out there and support those bars and restaurants , we'll all be sorry when they close
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Oh and all new arrivals self isolating doesn't help
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic