Gutter language on the forum

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
User avatar
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Posts: 1483
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Reputation: 733
Kiribati

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by Phnom Poon »

hunter8 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:13 pm When i asked them to say that word in khmer, they are shy to say it.
anal
rim-job

etc
i see their point
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.

monstra mihi bona!
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 230
Cambodia

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by hunter8 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:44 pm
hunter8 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:13 pm When i asked them to say that word in khmer, they are shy to say it.
anal
rim-job

etc
i see their point
Please keep your sexual preferences to yourself.
User avatar
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:29 pm
Reputation: 511
Location: london
India

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

If you are not British you probably haven't heard this. These two who take foul language to a whole new level.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 11517
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2646
Tokelau

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by Anchor Moy »

I haven't noticed much swearing on the forum in general tbh, but I do notice the agressive 'fk you' posts, directed at other posters, which are mostly twatish, childish, and downright trolling.
I'm not sure whether it's the swearing itself that puts off potential posters, and among them some women, or if it's the agressive tone that often accompanies the swearing that makes some newcomers hesitate to post ?
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 4549
Burkina Faso

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by John Bingham »

There is swearing that is just used for emphasis/ humor that is not directed at anyone in particular, I don't see the issue with that. I would imagine most swearing directed at anyone in particular (on this forum) will probably come to the attention of mods and be deleted. Women swear too FFS. If anything puts women off posting here I would guess it would be the sheer misogyny displayed by certain posters, their commodification of human beings and that kind of thing. It's ironic when you read which posters object to bad language yet keep espousing a whore-monger's life style. Not trying to judge but is it really something to aspire to or promote?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hunter8
Expatriate
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 pm
Reputation: 230
Cambodia

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by hunter8 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 pm There is swearing that is just used for emphasis/ humor that is not directed at anyone in particular, I don't see the issue with that. I would imagine most swearing directed at anyone in particular (on this forum) will probably come to the attention of mods and be deleted. Women swear too FFS. If anything puts women off posting here I would guess it would be the sheer misogyny displayed by certain posters, their commodification of human beings and that kind of thing. It's ironic when you read which posters object to bad language yet keep espousing a whore-monger's life style. Not trying to judge but is it really something to aspire to or promote?
You often add “not trying to judge” but that is exactly what you do.
User avatar
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 1250
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 893
Location: TIER 4
Great Britain

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 pm There is swearing that is just used for emphasis/ humor that is not directed at anyone in particular, I don't see the issue with that. I would imagine most swearing directed at anyone in particular (on this forum) will probably come to the attention of mods and be deleted. Women swear too FFS. If anything puts women off posting here I would guess it would be the sheer misogyny displayed by certain posters, their commodification of human beings and that kind of thing. It's ironic when you read which posters object to bad language yet keep espousing a whore-monger's life style. Not trying to judge but is it really something to aspire to or promote?
Or "not trying to judge" is used ironically, specifically because he is judging? Ironic that JB actually made clear his irony, and that his irony was entirely missed.

Perhaps if he said "I'm not judging the c***, but..."???
User avatar
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Posts: 788
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 am
Reputation: 144
Great Britain

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by jaynewcastle »

chiltern wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:39 pm Why do so many contributors to this website feel the need to revert to language of the gutter in order to express an opinion. Does Cambodia attract a disproportionate amount of expats suffering from Tourette's syndrome, is there something in the water which provokes this reaction or is it simply a lack of basic vocabulary?
Not quite sure about online forums, but in general life, there is a high correlation between intelligence and the amount of swearing, the less intelligent you are, the more likely you are to swear in everyday conversation.

These people lack a basic vocabulary to speak normally, and don't have the intelligence to understand that most people find such language offensive and inappropriate
User avatar
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 1250
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 893
Location: TIER 4
Great Britain

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by Yerg »

jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:22 am
chiltern wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:39 pm Why do so many contributors to this website feel the need to revert to language of the gutter in order to express an opinion. Does Cambodia attract a disproportionate amount of expats suffering from Tourette's syndrome, is there something in the water which provokes this reaction or is it simply a lack of basic vocabulary?
Not quite sure about online forums, but in general life, there is a high correlation between intelligence and the amount of swearing, the less intelligent you are, the more likely you are to swear in everyday conversation
I tend to disagree with this. It's entirely my choice when to descend in to Chaucerian vernacular. I usually make very conscious decisions when to swear and when not to swear. There are times when I choose to even use the C-word, because I know it is going to shock/upset/offend. And it is my very intent to cause that reaction.

There are also times when an oopsie slips out by accident. For example, I work with 6 older women, (who incidentally are reasonably well educated and swear similarly to me) and I burnt myself quite badly. In doing so, I yelped "FUCK, that hurts". I can think of no other way of expressing how badly I singed my skin without the adequate use of the word "FUCK". The ladies knew it hurt, and nobody was offended. They just laughed, which was exactly the response I expected from them. They then proceeded to take the piss out of me (because "mocking me" doesn't quite get across how much their ribaldry escalated).

By your definition, I'm a bit of a thicko, unintelligent mongrel, who you have superciliously judged without knowing a shred about me. So, for fear of causing offence, I shall not tell you to go boil your head, you sanctimonious... [Mod Edit: KEEP IT CIVIL, YOU PRICK...]
User avatar
atst
Expatriate
Posts: 1836
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 pm
Reputation: 1019
New Zealand

Re: Gutter language on the forum

Post by atst »

I never swear when out and about around women and when I was at work maybe go months but I don't know why somehow if out with mates swearing comes naturally and I find myself thinking to myself where did that language come from, then carry on swearing.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Old8404, Ravensnest and 60 guests