long range effects of covid19

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: long range effects of covid19

Post by Kuroneko »

CEO corona virus experts online :plus1:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:40 am Very long term, if the virus is as severe as predicted, the travel industry may die out altogether. Countries will keep their borders closed, so tourism as we know it will die out. People will become accustomed to staying at home to protect themselves from this virus and others to come,and will live much of their lives through computers systems and virtual reality. You want to go to Angkor Wat ? You buy some softwear that gives you surround sound and holograms, so you can enjoy Ankor Wat safely without coming into contact with people.

The old days of meeting your friends in the pub for a few pints will be replaced by conference call with video, where you fix a drink at home and set up the skype to catch up with your mates. Everyone will work from home and shopping will all be online, delivered to your doorstep by robots.

We are already accustomed to living a lot of life through the internet now, so it is not too far fetched to imagine everyone staying at home eventually, and living their lives entirely through modern technology.

As a result, humans will become distrustful of each other and wary of human contact. Family units will become smaller and smaller, until we are each living in an individual pod and all contact with others will be virtual. Sex will be conducted by self-insemination with some of that surround-sound again.

:dm: Anyway, with any luck, I'll be dead long before then, because it really doesn't sound like much of a fun future. :beer3:

I think some of that has already happened,

As for family units getting smaller ? They cannot get smaller, People are already now not getting married, having kids , and are already living solo. One persons income cannot support themselves anymore, so the future is a polyamory situation where three or more live as a husbands/wife's and this is already happening if you look at how ''flatmates'' are living these days.

Today, it all works in theory but not in practice because we were bought up in a past world and our thinking is still in the past.

Who would have thought 20 years ago that same sex marriages would ever exist, so who ,, thinking 20 years ahead thinks that a family unit will not be several males and several females and many kids.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:55 pm One persons income cannot support themselves anymore, so the future is a polyamory situation where three or more live as a husbands/wife's
I like what you are saying here. I always thought if i ever get married there should be two wives to fight off boredom. Now how do you find two ladies not jealous of each other? Perhaps they should be sisters to minimize rivalry between them. Twin sisters even better as twins should be even more close to each other.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hunter8 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:00 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:55 pm One persons income cannot support themselves anymore, so the future is a polyamory situation where three or more live as a husbands/wife's
I like what you are saying here. I always thought if i ever get married there should be two wives to fight off boredom. Now how do you find two ladies not jealous of each other? Perhaps they should be sisters to minimize rivalry between them. Twin sisters even better as twins should be even more close to each other.
Just remember there is nothing new about this type of arrangement, Look at how Kings , Rulers . and ancient tribes lived and in some religious sects they still have second or third wives . Even in Cambodia , many a lady will have two men in her life , but usually classed as a husband and a boyfriend...... And usually the reason is, one or two incomes is not enough to support a family, you need three incomes.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:15 pm many a lady will have two men in her life , but usually classed as a husband and a boyfriend......
This would be new to me, i don’t think i am ready to pioneer that far just yet 😁
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm Mortality rates for under sixties with covid are <0.5%, so no fuckers are dying apart from the old coffin dodgers who make no contribution to society, anyhow. So nothing is going to happen. Blip will be over in a few weeks and forgotten in six months. Like everything else.
Well the so called coffin dodgers do contribute to society, not only in Italy where many of us have been cared for by our grandparents while our parents went out for work. They cook for us, bring us to kindergarden and school, teach us values and are the ones who fill our hearts with unconditioned love. Many of us would not be able to afford to own a house or get higher education if it wasn´t partly or wholly financed by our elderly generation. What about the many hours they spend volunteering for good causes? You also miss the value of good advice from people who have a lot of experience. It was the coffin dodgers who rebuilt my country after WWII with efforts that we cannot immagine. They have made enough contribution to society and deserve the most respect.
work is for people who cant find truffles
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm Mortality rates for under sixties with covid are <0.5%, so no fuckers are dying apart from the old coffin dodgers who make no contribution to society, anyhow. So nothing is going to happen. Blip will be over in a few weeks and forgotten in six months. Like everything else.
topic36729-40.html#p404899
:thumb:
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:08 pm
WildA wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:28 am China is finished. Supply chains are moving as we speak,
nothing much will change under the current financial system
corporates will diversify a little, and add disaster-recovery backups
but unless incentives move away from 'shareholder value'
nothing is coming back
Sorry dude its happening. Keen is making shoes in the US. More and more footwear is moving to Eastern Europe. Hard drives to Thailand. Machine tools to mexico. And so on.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Ironic title,we are all now restricted to short range...........
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Confined people tend to talk more, and more will be claimed when this is over.

Now France enters confinement.

I've made my groceries shopping, weed, hash, and a fine Japanese whisky bottle i had my eyes on since a while.
I say
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic