how many seats need to be sold for flight to not cancel

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

how many seats need to be sold for flight to not cancel

Post by BklynBoy »

I booked a flight w/ Singapore Air leaving JFK on August 4th. I noticed many flights on Singapore Air have been canceled due to low demand on the exact route i am going. This route is cancelled until June 1st

My question is:

What is the threshold that would make Singapore Air not cancel the flight?

I am able to purchase a seat in advance so it shows me what is reserved and what is available. At the moment it shows approx 160 seats already taken.
This also doesn't count people like myself who purchased a ticket but didnt purchase an advanced seat. My math is a little off but there are showing about 80 available seats.

Just from a fly or not fly perspective, wondering if anyone knows the amount of seats needed to be sold in order to make the flight fucking fly... lol
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: how many seats need to be sold for flight to not cancel

Post by Marty »

That flight will go if they dont extend the corona virus ban. I've seen 747s that cruise across the pacific with numbers you could count on one hand, but not lately. But a flight with 160 on board that planes going my man.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

with all those flights being cancelled I can see a big future in ships carrying passengers again.
Spoiler:
sorry my crystal ball is not working properly
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Duncan wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:12 am with all those flights being cancelled I can see a big future in ships carrying passengers again.
Spoiler:
sorry my crystal ball is not working properly
You dick Duncan.....................you are using a snow globe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 135 »

If it’s Cambodia Angkor Air, they’ll sell the whole plane then cancel 🙄
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

BklynBoy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:41 am I booked a flight w/ Singapore Air leaving JFK on August 4th. I noticed many flights on Singapore Air have been canceled due to low demand on the exact route i am going. This route is cancelled until June 1st

My question is:

What is the threshold that would make Singapore Air not cancel the flight?

I am able to purchase a seat in advance so it shows me what is reserved and what is available. At the moment it shows approx 160 seats already taken.
This also doesn't count people like myself who purchased a ticket but didnt purchase an advanced seat. My math is a little off but there are showing about 80 available seats.

Just from a fly or not fly perspective, wondering if anyone knows the amount of seats needed to be sold in order to make the flight fucking fly... lol
its not quite that simple. Airlines have to maintain a certain number of flights on a route or they will lose their slot. i do not know the officia figures and there was some talk of relaxing them in the EU last week. If Singapore want to fly to london, they need to run x flights a week or they will lose the route to another carrier, so once they have reduced toe schedule to x then they cannot reduce it anymore in the normal run of events. Also if you are flying in Europe you are possibly covered by eu261 if they consolidate for financial reasons. i just had oman air on that. those bastards are selling flights they have no planes for and trying to blame it on the grounding of the boeing max, which is illegal so they had to cough up
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Frankly, nobody knows what the situation will be like in August. The virus is getting worse in Europe and the US. US citizens may well be be in lockdown by that time. There could be a global ban on non-essential travel. Impossible to say.
I have a flight booked for next month, but it's too soon to say if I will take it or not. The present status is wait and see.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:33 am Frankly, nobody knows what the situation will be like in August. The virus is getting worse in Europe and the US. US citizens may well be be in lockdown by that time. There could be a global ban on non-essential travel. Impossible to say.
I have a flight booked for next month, but it's too soon to say if I will take it or not. The present status is wait and see.
I have a flight to Bangkok planned on Monday, with a return on Friday, and I don't know if I will be able to go, and I don't know if I will be able to come back if I do go.

My employer is considering buying an extra return ticket for Wednesday to cover for the risk of Cambodia closing its' borders for more nationalities (which would be useless, but common sense in Cambodia went down the drain last January already with respect to this virus issue).

The situation is so fluid now, it's hard to even predict what will happen tomorrow.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:05 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:33 am Frankly, nobody knows what the situation will be like in August. The virus is getting worse in Europe and the US. US citizens may well be be in lockdown by that time. There could be a global ban on non-essential travel. Impossible to say.
I have a flight to Bangkok planned on Monday, with a return on Friday, and I don't know if I will be able to go, and I don't know if I will be able to come back if I do go.

My employer is considering buying an extra return ticket for Wednesday to cover for the risk of Cambodia closing its' borders for more nationalities (which would be useless, but common sense in Cambodia went down the drain last January already with respect to this virus issue).

The situation is so fluid now, it's hard to even predict what will happen tomorrow.
Good luck with that. Best decide at the last minute. It sounds like your employer doesn't want you stuck in Thailand so that's a plus.
However, most countries give 24-48 hours notice when they announce a travel ban, (eg. 48hours notice on the Manila lockdown), but hey, TIC, and as you say, logic is out the window. It would be entirely in character for the Cambodian authorities to suddenly announce an immediate ban on random nationalities, and then you could be stranded in Bangkok.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Air Asia, for one example Brooklyn, does not seem to be cancelling flights on an individual basis.
They have simply cut a number of flights out of the weekly schedule, and moved all pre-existing bookings to a flight on the new schedule.
But not sure about other airlines.

Also, friends of mine were flying to Thailand on Qantas next week.
They got an advice that their flight was cancelled and moved to another flight next day.
Even tho it was a cheap fare with no right to change the date - they were told that they could now re-book on any flight, same destination, in the next 12 months.
Apparently many airlines are doing this as a basic courtesy given the circumstances.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic