Malaria Medication ... do I need to get it?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Malaria Medication ... do I need to get it?

Post by Apollo91881 »

Hello,

I'm leaving soon and it was recommend I take one of the following malarial drugs.

Atovaquone-proguanil (Malarone)

Doxycycline

Since I will likely be in the country for 3 years and one is $5/day and the other is $1/day I'm questioning the need in conjunction with the side effects.

Is anyone else taking these? Are they less expensive in country?

Thanks,
D
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Malaria Medication ... do I need to get it?

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:00 am Hello,

I'm leaving soon and it was recommend I take one of the following malarial drugs.

Doxycycline

Since I will likely be in the country for 3 years and one is $5/day and the other is $1/day I'm questioning the need in conjunction with the side effects.

Thanks,
D
Unless you are specifically working in the jungles in the North East and on the Thai border then no you will not need any malaria meds.

nobody who lives in any of the normal expat places ever takes them because there is low to no malaria in these places, minimal risk. Dengue pops up but there is nothing so far you can take to prevent or treat that. So rest your mind and save your money sir (unless you really are working in the jungles in which case get your company to cover it!). Never taken it in over 10 years here and I travel the country a lot, I also have never heard of anyone getting it (expat).
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

AJ-toot gives a good summation. ^^^

But do not underestimate the risks if you do go bush.
I know of some deaths, but all people working in wet forest areas.
Sam Vaesna's death was a particular tragedy as he died because he was treated with fake drugs. - a real problem if you are "in the zone" and using them for prevention, or need treatment.
If you do need prophylactics or treatment make sure you are getting the real deal.

Another note of caution - Sthn Thailand, Cambodia and VN are apparently ground zero for new multi-drug resistant malaria strains.
Also, like Dengue - Malaria outbreaks tend to be sporadic and localised - check on the general situation at the time and place you are in.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:00 am Hello,

Doxycycline

Thanks,
D
Someone is pulling your chain. Doxycycline is very cheap probably cheaper than deet Its a very old medicine and is the weapon of choice for malaria in the border area with Thailand as the bugs there are resistant to the other one. Doxy also happens to be the old treatment for the clap so it might offer you some benefit there. Downside is it causes sleep disruption for a significant numbner of people. I have been here most of the last 10 years, never used insect spray or malaria medcicine but I do use a plug in mossie killer at night.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic