Who owns the chicken?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Who owns the chicken?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I hit a chicken on the scooter today with a good clean head-shot (unintentionally you murderous morons) with the owner seeing the tragedy. I compensated her reasonably and as I was walking away I thought, "Hold on, that chicken should be mine now, isn't it?"

Who then owns the deceased chicken?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Who owns the chicken?

Post by Doc67 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:38 pm I hit a chicken on the scooter today with a good clean head-shot (unintentionally you murderous morons) with the owner seeing the tragedy. I compensated her reasonably and as I was walking away I thought, "Hold on, that chicken should be mine now, isn't it?"

Who then owns the deceased chicken?
You.

The compensation you paid was for the loss of a live chicken, i.e. the value of the live bird on a replacement basis. When you buy a live chicken you don't get a dead one free of charge. So she can't expect to have the money to replace the bird plus a dead one as a bonus. This would put her in a better position than she was before.
Also, the value of a live bird and a dead one is virtually the same, it's just the cost of a swing of a meat cleaver.

The remains are yours in the same way an insurance company owns the written off car.

I bet her family dined well that evening!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

What about emotional pain and suffering
what about all those months of caring for the bird
What about the vet bills for the proper immunisation
not mention all that expensive high grade food
And then there is the lost earnings of the chickens now-never-to-be-born offspring
the males of which were going to be the cock fighting champions of all Indonesia (millions just there)

Flock K-Fu, just smile sweetly, pay your 30-40,000 rupes, hop on yr bike and head off as quick as you can to the local KFC.
(or pref, the local Padang restaurant - to eat the chicken you just killed.
It will be thru back door quicker than you arrive at the front)
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:07 am What about the vet bills for the proper immunisation
Up until this, you had me... :lol:
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:07 am What about emotional pain and suffering
what about all those months of caring for the bird
What about the vet bills for the proper immunisation
not mention all that expensive high grade food
And then there is the lost earnings of the chickens now-never-to-be-born offspring
the males of which were going to be the cock fighting champions of all Indonesia (millions just there)
All that will be accounted for in the price you pay for it
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

IMHO you have been lucky. I have witnessed people beeing beaten up for killing a chicken before they could even make any offer for compensation. Even more lucky it was a chicken and not a killer rooster that won all cockfights. The emotional pain (if any) justifies that the dead chicken stays with the owner.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Obviously nobody wants to be left with egg on their face. However, if I'm paying well above market rate, I reckon the bird's mine. Not that I'd ever walk off with it, mind.

I paid IDR50 000.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:42 am Obviously nobody wants to be left with egg on their face. However, if I'm paying well above market rate, I reckon the bird's mine. Not that I'd ever walk off with it, mind.

I paid IDR50 000.
$3.40 for a chicken? Sound like a bargain...
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:42 am Obviously nobody wants to be left with egg on their face. However, if I'm paying well above market rate, I reckon the bird's mine. Not that I'd ever walk off with it, mind.

I paid IDR50 000.
Kung-Fu, you really are a dry wit. I think your skills are wasted in this venue!!! :hattip: :lol:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The government sanctioned floor price for chicken meat in Indo is 18,000 rupes.
A chicken is 62% meat
So the Gov rate equals 11,2000 rp for whole chickens

Every free range chicken i have run over in Indo resembles a Jungle Fowl more than anything else - certainly more than your average supermarket chicken. So we will use that.
The average Jungle Fowl hen weighs 1.1 kg.
Lets say 1.12 kg because of the high quality feed and ease of calculation.

So, 10,000 for the bird - would be the official government price for your average free ranger.
However, this is not as clear cut as it seems.

The current (yesterday) market price for chicken meat at the Jakarta market is only 55% of the official price
So, the market price for "your" bird should have been around 5,500 rp.

So the question, Readers - Is our Fu Manchu overly generous or overly foolish?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic