Who owns the chicken?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Who owns the chicken?

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Did you ask the owner, or as some might say the ex owner why the chicken was crossing the road ?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:57 am Did you ask the owner, or as some might say the ex owner why the chicken was crossing the road ?
Well to me it's obvious the chickens ancestors were using that bit of land for thousands of years before roads were invented, so did someone ask the chickens if they could put a road through their walkway ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I am surprised nobody pointed out the extra charge for renting land for the free range chicken to roam and live in a cruelty free environment.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dam lucky it wasn't a prize rooster

FYI:
you paid for it, its urs :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:56 am So the question, Readers - Is our Fu Manchu overly generous or overly foolish?
I'm just a generous old fool.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:53 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:38 pm I hit a chicken on the scooter today with a good clean head-shot (unintentionally you murderous morons) with the owner seeing the tragedy. I compensated her reasonably and as I was walking away I thought, "Hold on, that chicken should be mine now, isn't it?"

Who then owns the deceased chicken?
You.

The compensation you paid was for the loss of a live chicken, i.e. the value of the live bird on a replacement basis. When you buy a live chicken you don't get a dead one free of charge. So she can't expect to have the money to replace the bird plus a dead one as a bonus. This would put her in a better position than she was before.
Also, the value of a live bird and a dead one is virtually the same, it's just the cost of a swing of a meat cleaver.

The remains are yours in the same way an insurance company owns the written off car.

I bet her family dined well that evening!
That would be under western law, not necessarily under Khmer law
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:02 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:56 am So the question, Readers - Is our Fu Manchu overly generous or overly foolish?
you didn't deduct the damages to your scooter, your personal time and suffering?

did you ever think perhaps the owner might train their chickens to watch for barangs? and if they spot one to run out kamikaze-style because the villager thinks barangs are suckers and will pay 50k riel per instance?
Still here, in country...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Ravensnest wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 am

did you ever think perhaps the owner might train their chickens to watch for barangs?
Most certainly. Here's one on the way to a barang hotspot.

Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:30 am
Ravensnest wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 am

did you ever think perhaps the owner might train their chickens to watch for barangs?
Most certainly. Here's one on the way to a barang hotspot.

:lol:
Still here, in country...
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

Why did the chicken commit suicide?

To get to the other side.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic