Finding somewhere to live in Kampot.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Finding somewhere to live in Kampot.

Post by xandreu »

After several years in PP I've decided to try somewhere a bit quieter for six months, and Kampot really appeals to me.

There doesn't seem to be much info on properties to rent online however. I've tried Google and Facebook. Is this because there aren't many to rent or they're simply not advertised online and I'd be better off going there in person to have a look around?

I've been there a couple of times before but clearly going somewhere for a holiday is different to living there on a permanent basis. Has anyone else moved there from PP? Did you come up against any challenges? What are the main differences between that and PP, aside from the much slower pace of life (which is what I'm looking for)?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Finding somewhere to live in Kampot.

Post by j57 »

good luck...
I had a hell of a time when I got kicked out of my lease in Sihanoukville...I used a local realtor...I spent a week looking around by tuk tuk...
Too many barangs looking for the same thing..
it is not like PP or SR where you can go online and find a place...
I suggest spending a week in a hotel and doing some leg work...
Kampot was a nice place for a year..But, my landlord was trying to sell the house and was watching rents go up and wishing he had a new tenant...I left after 11 months and he gave me back my 2 months deposit to get my $300/month lease over so he could jip some barang for $500/month.
Maybe it has changed since I left 13 months ago and the chinese invasion in Sihanoukville has eased up the mass exodus of expats to Kampot....
I can't imagine there are a lot of new places for barangs....
I wanted to live in Kep...but, I couldn't find a place to rent there.
I gave up on the coast...no way I would live in PP..
I love Siem Reap...
good luck...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The Kampot Facebook groups are bombarded daily with properties available for rent...plenty available.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i see daily 2-3 listings on the kampot fb page, everything from $150 rooms to 5 bedroom $1,000 houses.
you wont have any trouble finding a place to live

Kep also has places but more expensive and you need look harder, (although plenty of $100 /month rooms)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

there you go...the market is better than 2018 for you.
You still need to go and spend a week checking them out.
The cheap places existed in early 2018 but, were not proper digs compared to my apartment in Sihanoukville.
Your lifestyle and budget are the key factors..
Best of luck...
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

j57 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:28 pm good luck...
I had a hell of a time when I got kicked out of my lease in Sihanoukville...I used a local realtor...I spent a week looking around by tuk tuk...
Too many barangs looking for the same thing..
it is not like PP or SR where you can go online and find a place...
I suggest spending a week in a hotel and doing some leg work...
Kampot was a nice place for a year..But, my landlord was trying to sell the house and was watching rents go up and wishing he had a new tenant...I left after 11 months and he gave me back my 2 months deposit to get my $300/month lease over so he could jip some barang for $500/month.
Maybe it has changed since I left 13 months ago and the chinese invasion in Sihanoukville has eased up the mass exodus of expats to Kampot....
I can't imagine there are a lot of new places for barangs....
I wanted to live in Kep...but, I couldn't find a place to rent there.
I gave up on the coast...no way I would live in PP..
I love Siem Reap...
good luck...

When I left shitsville I went to Kampot for awhile , takes a certain type to live there / claustrophobic
Moved up north next to the Siem reap province and found the weather way too hot and very dusty here now
Frickin dust everywhere everyday
So sihanoukville has to be the best place in the kingdom to live , but now it is FUBAR ..
still got my fingers X’d in case of a miracle . I wouldn’t mind going back to the good old days ,
... tho I think it won’t probly happen while i am still alive ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 pm The Kampot Facebook groups are bombarded daily with properties available for rent...plenty available.
Bit of a problem for the 50% of the world who dont use facefuck then :-)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Just turn up and look around. There are plenty of places available, but best check them out yourself. Some are miles from town with dirt roads, which could be a problem in wet season for example.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 pm The Kampot Facebook groups are bombarded daily with properties available for rent...plenty available.
Bit of a problem for the 50% of the world who dont use facefuck then :-)
As Anchor Moy said, turn up, look around, ask around, go to rental agencies...it really isn't that hard. There are plenty of properties available for rent in Kampot.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Thanks for the info everyone. I joined the main Kampot Facebook page but have decided to just head down there for a few days and check out some places in person.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic