Traveling around KOW with Corona

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Traveling around KOW with Corona

Post by AndyKK »

Traveling around KOW with Corona on the horizon

Yes, yet another thread in the time of the Coronavirus.
What are the thoughts, and what is the best too do in these times, of what is now a sure new virus that is increasing with speed causing infection to people on a worldwide scale.
Covid19 now it’s been awarded with its own title needs no passport or visa for travel. The world health organization (WHO) defines the word pandemic loosely, but the outbreak is not showing any sign of slowing down on its worldwide travel.
But for myself, likewise for most are concerned about the country situation and surroundings I find myself living. As the new virus was enjoying its freedom (let’s hope the medicines needed get developed soon).
I was traveling and writing a new thread on the motorcycle journey, but abruptly stopped in my tracks seeing the morning news of the now number of infected grows from only one that we were all aware about, thinking this country maybe immune to such new viruses. But it seems not so, and I find myself wondering what is the best move next! Do I return to my home or continue with my travel? I find myself wondering what to do in this unfortunate situation, just now I am booked in a hotel with staff and their boss wearing face masks due to some travellers being in quarantine recently, now they’re out and about around town and fears of local people maybe understandably unjustified.
My next port of call was to visit the most visited sights of travellers, the magnificent temple of Angkor. But this is the time I find myself anchored where I am with no real eagerness to move on, but too I am aware of holidaymakers visiting where I am now. I keep watching the news channels and scanning the web, look also on this site of any following stories of Siam Reap and the general situation there, but I find that the area is very elusive in many ways. Is the Angkor park open to the general public, are hotels still accepting guests, and so on, I may have many questions.
Your thoughts, movement and travel information would be helpful.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Traveling around KOW with Corona

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm Traveling around KOW with Corona
Just make sure you've got a chilly bin (ice box, esky, cooler) full of ice and plenty of limes, if you get short of ice you can stop at most road side restaurants, drink sellers, etc. for a top up. Nothing to worry about. :beer3:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

All the remote places will be safe.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Cambodia had it's first case around January 23rd (imported from Wuhan), Italy had it's first case week about a week later. Italy applied all kind of limitations in Lombardy at an early stage and ended flights with China that day Wuhan went in lock down. Cambodia did nothing. Italy is now facing a massive crisis with healthcare overwhelmed.

Cambodia did fucking all and nothing seems to be happening here. If the virus had been spreading the way it did in Italy (and apparently in all the countries in the moderate Northern Hemisphere) we should now see massive outbreaks Cambodia. But the country seems sleepy as ever despite doing everything wrong when it comes to trying to contain the new virus. When a single imported case is detected on a cruise ship (what are the odds of an infected English lady on that ship by the way, with about 400 cases in the UK at that time?) or in Siem Reap there's panic, but I don't see overcrowded healthcenters with people grasping for air yet. And that should be the case if the pandemic really went around in Cambodia I guess.

I hope Cambodia is just blessed with ignorance. [meaning I hope the current climate seriously prevents the virus from spreading]
Spoiler:
With a population of 76 million and about 400 infected at that time the chance of an infected English person on that cruise ship is 0,0006. In my opinion this means the virus is wide spread in the UK now because the odds using the official numbers are off the charts.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Just don't go out at night time. Game over man, game over.

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The lock down of Manila kind of busts my theory....
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

There is no 100% safe advice IMHO at the moment unless you really isolate yourself a few months in a remote place with no contact to ANYBODY which is hard to achieve. I have been tinking a lot why Cambodia and other SEA "underperform" when it comes to Corona. Sure the truth about the actual local situation is not beeing told. On the other hand it seems as if the infected people show only the light version of it and are capable of going on with their daily habits. In Italy the by far greatest part dying is the older generation (70++) with preexisting other SEVERE health problems (for the moment). There is not so many 70++ in Cambodia and other SEA nations as in Italy which is the country with the oldest median age in Europe at 45+ years. A quarter of the population is over 65 years. Cambodia is full of youngsters with an median age of 24-25 years. Even as a member of G7 (group of the 7 most advanced economies in the world) Italy has run out of technical equipment (respiratory machines) and intensive care beds. Dead people cannot be put to rest and the mortuaries are full of bodies that can go nowhere with many more coming every day. Should the cases explode in Cambodia the biggest problem will be that the country will run out of needed technical equipment and infrastructure in no time and you will be stuck in a place with no real help unless you are holder of an expensive SOS insurance (or equivalent) that will get you out. Going home will be a big risk in itself but you will probably have better options in case you get the severe symptoms of Corona..but there is no guarantee to get properly treated as you see what happens in Italy at the moment. People with low chances of beeing healed are NOT treated anymore due to lack of technical equipment and full intensive care units which is a kind of scandal for a nation with such a high grade of industralization. China has setup new hospitals within 2-3 weeks a thing completely impossible in Italy and sure also valid for Cambodia. Italy has also called for help by other EU members (masks, respiratory machines) but has gotten NO HELP AT ALL from fellow member states (some have stopped delivering existing orders or even banned any export of such equipment). So Cambodia will sure also get none in case the CORONA will have the same impact as here. I think that your daily behaviour (respecting the rules for minimizing infection) are by far more important than where you actually decide to stay. We all stay home here in Italy even reducing contact with fellow family members that stay in the same house. Thats how serious we take the situation. Better safe than sorry. Good luck.
work is for people who cant find truffles
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

gosh darn kids of staff are out of school and running around the pool and playing hide and seek...
Bah Humbug! My apartment is in lockdown until they get tired or go home.
I turned on the AC and made my Khmer wife homemade popcorn and put in a favorite dvd.....
self quarantine is better with beautiful young lady ...
Siem Reap ground zero...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Don't fear go anywhere in the KOW just make sure you have a supply of Super Whiskey or whiskey Alexander that stuff will kill any virus.
I'm planning to head to the province's when I return kinda self isolation but with me girl.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

get a grip. Most cases in healthy people under 50 are relatively minor. most deaths have been among people with weak immune systems or pre-existing lung/heart conditions.
So, if you are not in that group then its probably not going to be any more than an inconvenience to you. however you should stay put because by travlellig you run the risk of spreading ti to more vulnerable people than you who will probably die given the state of health care in Cambodia.
Kids are not being badly affected by this unless news reports are fake. The problem is kids are nasty little vecotrs for colds and flu. They get it, take it to school and share, belss them, and the ones they share with take it home and share again
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic