Traveling around KOW with Corona

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Traveling around KOW with Corona

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:50 am
pczz wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:45 am get a grip. Most cases in healthy people under 50 are relatively minor. most deaths have been among people with weak immune systems or pre-existing lung/heart conditions.
So, if you are not in that group then its probably not going to be any more than an inconvenience to you. however you should stay put because by travlellig you run the risk of spreading ti to more vulnerable people than you who will probably die given the state of health care in Cambodia.
Kids are not being badly affected by this unless news reports are fake. The problem is kids are nasty little vecotrs for colds and flu. They get it, take it to school and share, belss them, and the ones they share with take it home and share again
Just went through the numbers in my country, so far 50 people in ICU, first case was detected 16 days ago, 52% of the cases in ICU under 50 yo, youngest patients in ICU is just 16 yo (1 case).
what country is your country?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Anchor Moy wrote:Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has been travelling around the KOW this past week. I was just wondering about the situation with buses and minivans - are they still running as usual ? Has a mass movement started for the provinces or is everyone staying put ? Also, has anyone come across local transport, buses, shared minivans or taxis, that are reluctant to transport foreigners ?
I'm just curious about possible changes in social behaviour due to the virus epidemic. My friends in the provinces have said they don't want to go to PP because of the virus, and that some tourist businesses there that usually cater to foreigners have closed or only cater for locals.

I had plans for a trip up north, but have put it on hold.
I have. Currently out of the city. It's very quiet, even along the highway. Life in the villages goes on and always (even saw a wedding or two, which isn't a good idea imo). They're all aware of the situation though, and even some small coffee shop seller several km out of town has an alcohol spray ready for me (and himself). Construction sites are pretty much shut down, big and small. Many restaurants shut and so on. Oddly quiet. People are waiting for it to wash over (or till they run out of funds). It won't be easy either way, and though I'm fine as I have a place to stay, I wouldn't recommend travelling too much, but just be cautious if you do.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^Yes would agree with the last post, but on the large highways many restraunts are open. Washing facilities seem to be welcome at all places even if simple, bowl water and alcohol on entrance. But quite most places.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I went to Angkor Market in Siem Reap again today to restock and look for shortages.
The Khmer shops are open along the way and I saw some construction workers on a large building site.
People are trying to eke out a living.
The auto repair shop was busy... for example.
The Supermarket was very well stocked and some items missing last week had been restocked.
I wanted to see how dairy inventories were compared to last week. I worked in a Supermarket and I did see the tricks stockers use to face the displays.
They spread the milk out of the 1 brand they had in stock to cover the brands they were out of.
My bread flower was sold out and other types had been spread out to fill the void...
I have been expecting imported items that I take for granted in Siem Reap.to dry up..I was not surprised in Sihanoukville with 'salmadera' or Kampot's Daily Meat in past years...
Angkor Market is an amazing market in my Cambodian experience.
They are doing a great job with sanitizers around the store and restocking.
I would like to take a look at their inventory in the back.
I wear my mask to avoid Barang stigma.
The way people don't use the provided sanitizers is a bit surprising. They are the same folks who do not wear masks.
My wife told me about a wedding in Kampong Cham last weekend where the wedding party was set up for 25 tables of 10 and only 5 tables showed up.
I am not going back out for a week.
I am hoping for the best.
A big part of me thinks the virus was here in January.
Especially, since I read about other expats having a flu bug in late January and February...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

If you are thinking of traveling to an out of the way place in Cambodia to wait out the coronavirus epidemic, please make sure that they want you.
This is a message from a village in Koh Rong, but there may well be other places in Cambodia that don't welcome newcomers at the moment with the potential risks they bring with them.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Message from the Cambodian Ministry of Tourism Facebook Page:
Stay Home, we are all into this together.
Stay Safe, we will get through this together.
Stay Home and Keep It Safe.
Stay Home, Stay Safe, Stay Strong to Visit Cambodia.
Stay Home Today, Visit Cambodia Tomorrow.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Stay Home, we are all into this together.
Stay Safe, we will get through this together.
Stay Home and Keep It Safe.
Stay Home, Stay Safe, Stay Strong to Visit Cambodia.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Looking at the Kampot notice board Bars and restaurants being ordered to close now
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

atst wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:26 pm Looking at the Kampot notice board Bars and restaurants being ordered to close now
Same did the rounds yesterday, turned out ONLY BARS were ordered to close. Not sure if it's unclear communication from authorities or the rumour mill going into overdrive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic