Traveling around KOW with Corona

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Traveling around KOW with Corona

Post by atst »

Ok for you to talk I presume you're under 50 but what about us 50 plus, ohh who cares
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:41 pm Ok for you to talk I presume you're under 50 but what about us 50 plus, ohh who cares
Thank you to all whom have replied to the thread, and some good points mentioned. But now I noticed that the government had made travel bans to some passport holders, this could be only the start of what is to come, it will certainly disrupt many plans for people, more so I would think of expats whom have their lives involved in this country. That being if they are making visa runs or are out of the country wishing to return to their homes and Khmer partner.

atst in reply to your quote and question - I am over 50 and also had past lung disease, also my partner has a terminal illness, luckily she has survived over the time scale of the doctors prediction, both doctors were qualified overseas, but I still have very little faith in any medical situation with in this country, also with the lack of any supporting bodies for people who have such illness or the development of further illness developing from the initial diagnosis. Daily meditation is a must, and it seems the suppliers decided whom can have or not, by this preferential in the buyer, making costs too high to other outlets so the retail costs would be unobtainable to most who are in need of the necessary drugs, thus we can only buy from only three distant outlets in Phnom Penh, Kampong Cham and Koh Kong.
atst you also made another good point, City or Countryside! With the illness of the virus now making it presence known in Cambodia where would it be better to reside? I understand like many the countryside has less people, so yes it could be a semi-isolated situation, but it depends on how you can also live comfortably to a standard of tolerance, if not obtainable I would be concerned of the lowering of ones immune system. That being opposed to city living in comfortable surroundings but downside many people, but questionable medical facilities if in need of help.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Only downside I see living in the province's for few months till this hopefully blows over is the lack of medical services but I presume if starting to get symptoms of the virus your ability to jump on a bike and get back to pp shouldn't be a problem
That's my plan IF/when can get back to Cambodia
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:57 pm Only downside I see living in the province's for few months till this hopefully blows over is the lack of medical services but I presume if starting to get symptoms of the virus your ability to jump on a bike and get back to pp shouldn't be a problem
That's my plan IF/when can get back to Cambodia
It looks has travel around the globe is not going to happen for many nationalities. Hopefully you will return soon, wishing you good health and good luck.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I would hold no more hope for effective medical treatment in Phnom Penh than i would expect in the bush when numbers start to rise, ie, sweet FA
Unless maybe you are one of the super rich. There are simply not nearly enough facilities.

In fact, there is a good chance your situation could be made much worse - probably forcibly herded in a Crimean War style death house - with no Florence Nightingale anywhere in sight.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

pczz wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:45 am get a grip. Most cases in healthy people under 50 are relatively minor. most deaths have been among people with weak immune systems or pre-existing lung/heart conditions.
So, if you are not in that group then its probably not going to be any more than an inconvenience to you. however you should stay put because by travlellig you run the risk of spreading ti to more vulnerable people than you who will probably die given the state of health care in Cambodia.
Kids are not being badly affected by this unless news reports are fake. The problem is kids are nasty little vecotrs for colds and flu. They get it, take it to school and share, belss them, and the ones they share with take it home and share again
In Italy we are more worried about our old grandparents (if any) than about ourselves (I am 50+ and fairly confident that Corona wont kill me). Most of the elderly have been staying home anyway for most of the time, but the visiting people (family, needed regular home checks by doctors and nurses, home delivered supplies of any kind, Mrs Mop and others, just the minimum needed) are a risk to bring the virus IN if you are not 100% careful.Italy has 10 times more cases than China if you calculate in the % of residents and contrary to China the numbers are still rising at exponential rate (+3500 in one single day that is today) with no end in sight. So even with all the harsh measures in place the virus surprisingly still finds a way to spread, thats scaring me most.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:06 am I would hold no more hope for effective medical treatment in Phnom Penh than i would expect in the bush
. . .
In fact, there is a good chance your situation could be made much worse - probably forcibly herded in a Crimean War style death house
this is a great fear
turn up to work with a hangover and get quarantined in some midnight-express style camp due to a slight fever

do you think hiding out in the province is the better option?

on the one hand, fewer people, clean air, fresh country food

on the other hand, if everyone has the same idea, it'll be chaos
and phnom penh will be a relative oasis, as it usually is as KNY

monstra mihi bona!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pczz wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:45 am get a grip. Most cases in healthy people under 50 are relatively minor. most deaths have been among people with weak immune systems or pre-existing lung/heart conditions.
So, if you are not in that group then its probably not going to be any more than an inconvenience to you. however you should stay put because by travlellig you run the risk of spreading ti to more vulnerable people than you who will probably die given the state of health care in Cambodia.
Kids are not being badly affected by this unless news reports are fake. The problem is kids are nasty little vecotrs for colds and flu. They get it, take it to school and share, belss them, and the ones they share with take it home and share again
Just went through the numbers in my country, so far 50 people in ICU, first case was detected 16 days ago, 52% of the cases in ICU under 50 yo, youngest patients in ICU is just 16 yo (1 case).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

truffledog wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:04 am
In Italy we are more worried about our old grandparents (if any) than about ourselves (I am 50+ and fairly confident that Corona wont kill me). Most of the elderly have been staying home anyway for most of the time, but the visiting people (family, needed regular home checks by doctors and nurses, home delivered supplies of any kind, Mrs Mop and others, just the minimum needed) are a risk to bring the virus IN if you are not 100% careful.Italy has 10 times more cases than China if you calculate in the % of residents and contrary to China the numbers are still rising at exponential rate (+3500 in one single day that is today) with no end in sight. So even with all the harsh measures in place the virus surprisingly still finds a way to spread, thats scaring me most.
Don't be too scared, the incubation times make new (social distancing) rules only start having an effect after 4-14 days. I'm sure the cases in Italy will start to drop sometime next week.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has been travelling around the KOW this past week. I was just wondering about the situation with buses and minivans - are they still running as usual ? Has a mass movement started for the provinces or is everyone staying put ? Also, has anyone come across local transport, buses, shared minivans or taxis, that are reluctant to transport foreigners ?
I'm just curious about possible changes in social behaviour due to the virus epidemic. My friends in the provinces have said they don't want to go to PP because of the virus, and that some tourist businesses there that usually cater to foreigners have closed or only cater for locals.

I had plans for a trip up north, but have put it on hold.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic