considering moving to cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
oswylde
Tourist

considering moving to cambodia

Post by oswylde »

hi,
i'm a 19 year old who's seriously considering moving to cambodia in a year and i have a couple of questions. i plan on living there for a couple years and then maybe going someplace else when i have enough money. i'll be 20 years old by the time i get there and i'll have around $16-17k on hand.

1. what type of visa should i get that would make it possible for me to stay long term and find a job without having to leave? is it even possible for me to do that?

2. speaking of jobs, is it easy to find one that pays enough to cover rent, etc. without having a college degree? i was thinking i could work at a hotel/restaurant or something. anything that's low-key and not shady. dunno if this is relevant or if it would make finding a job any easier but i have a fair amount of programming knowledge/skills, and i guess i could do a TEFL certification if that serves as a bonus-i'd be down to teach english.

3. i know that government policies are always changing, so are there any chances i might get kicked out of cambodia at any point for being an expat?

cheers in advance!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: considering moving to cambodia

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

1. E-type Visa on Arrival, $35, valid for 1 month. Prior to your VOA expiring you will need to apply for an Extension of Stay.
If you successfully gain employment within the first few weeks then you can apply for a 12 month EB (Business) EOS.
If you don't successfully gain employment within the first few weeks then apply for a 6 month EG (General) EOS.

There are plenty of threads which explain the above in more detail.

2. Get a TEFL and be an English "teacher" like most young people do...not much decent paying work for young foreigners in hotels or restaurants.

3. As long as you have the correct visa, work permit, behave yourself and don't get in trouble with the law you aren't going to be kicked out of the country.

Spend some time using the search function and reading previous threads, there is a wealth of information available.
oswylde
Tourist

Post by oswylde »

ah thanks! also, can i apply for the E-type visa through the online application process?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

oswylde wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:06 pm ah thanks! also, can i apply for the E-type visa through the online application process?
NO

the day u arrive in Cambodia is the day you will have the most money you will have 2-3 years later
Teaching english to kids wont ever earn you enough money to save
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

oswylde wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:06 pm ah thanks! also, can i apply for the E-type visa through the online application process?
No, and don't get the E-type visa confused with the e-visa which is a tourist visa (T-type) you can get online. T-type visas are for 30 days and can only be extended once for a further 30 days, then you must leave the country. Also, without a degree and/or experience you won't be getting the greatest teaching positions. It will be enough to get by on but as Richard said you won't be able to save much at all, it's not as cheap here as you might be led to believe.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Bad idea as a 19 year old with zero qualifications or experience. Just travel the world a bit instead. My 2 cents.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Hi dude,

Don't want to be a downer, but your money would be a much better investment into knowledge, if that's possible.
Get a degree or else in another country, work with it a while, then come in Cambodia for the kick of it.

At least, the money pump will be set, and an asset.

You don't want to be stripped of it after 1 or 2 years of unlucky shots, and you are still full of energy and motivation.

Trust a 47 y.o who's been working first in Germany, then UK, THEN in fun and adventurous countries like Indonesia and Cambodia.

Good luck to you though, and beware of all the untold and dirty side of the expat life in sketchy lands. :hattip:
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

I've really had enough of the Thais, but it's just so difficult to make even a short move to Cambodia. I have thousands of dollars of electronic test equipment, computers, a car, 2 motorcycles all of which I'd like to bring with me. Also there's my 2 eleven year old dogs I love.

Is there any professional service to advise and help me? I don't mind paying reasonable customs fees. It's obvious the Thai dick-tater government doesn't want us here anymore. I have a good pension income, savings and no money problems.
Last edited by Robins on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Try Asian Tigers (International Moving and Relocation) , they have a good reputation.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:58 pm Bad idea as a 19 year old with zero qualifications or experience. Just travel the world a bit instead. My 2 cents.
Yes, completely agree. When you're 19 don't settle for a specific country, yet. Travel the world.

I've seen rather young dudes here settling as 'English teacher'. Seems like an adventure, but in reality it's not, it's limiting your choices, once settled in.

Travelling many other countries before you decide on settling in one learns you a lot of life skills not earned anywhere else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic