considering moving to cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: considering moving to cambodia

Post by Robins »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:28 pm Try Asian Tigers (International Moving and Relocation) , they have a good reputation.
Thank you. I noticed on my last visit to Phnom Penh that I didn't see a single Thai car, that was disappointing.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Robins wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:24 pm I've really had enough of the Thais, but it's just so difficult to make even a short move to Cambodia. I have thousands of dollars of electronic test equipment, computers, a car, 2 motorcycles all of which I'd like to bring with me. Also there's my 2 eleven year old dogs I love.

Is there any professional service to advise and help me? I don't mind paying reasonable customs fees. It's obvious the Thai dick-tater government doesn't want us here anymore. I have a good pension income, savings and no money problems.
AFAIK you cannot import your thai car because it is right hand drive. the motorcycle you will have to pay export tax on in thailand and get the reg cancelled and then pay import tax in cambodia and get it registered. Assuming you wish to stay legal its not worth the grief. sell them and buy when you get to Cambodia. be aware cars are crazy expensive in cambodia due to tax. many ar insurance writeoffs from the states glued bacl together. take a competent mechanic with you. you also cannot register a used vehicle in your name so you have to buy new or buy a used one that has not been registered
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

If you are a native speaker get a proper tefl cert (Celta month course) and come out. You will find work soon enough. Best of luck.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Robins wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:28 pm Try Asian Tigers (International Moving and Relocation) , they have a good reputation.
Thank you. I noticed on my last visit to Phnom Penh that I didn't see a single Thai car, that was disappointing.
Why was that disappointing?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I should add that when looking for a job use your noggin ffs. Wear a shirt and tie, actual shoes, slacks. And don't bowl in stinking like a brewery. I regularly get muppets in t shirts, shorts and sandals strolling in like they are on the way home from the beach asking for work and, even if they are geniuses, they are asked to hand in their cv and once they are gone the cv goes straight in the bin. Use your common sense.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

If I had moved to Cambodia when I was 19 I honestly don't know if I'd still have a functional liver. :beer1:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Robins wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:24 pm I've really had enough of the Thais, but it's just so difficult to make even a short move to Cambodia. I have thousands of dollars of electronic test equipment, computers, a car, 2 motorcycles all of which I'd like to bring with me. Also there's my 2 eleven year old dogs I love.

Is there any professional service to advise and help me? I don't mind paying reasonable customs fees. It's obvious the Thai dick-tater government doesn't want us here anymore. I have a good pension income, savings and no money problems.
find a friend or van driver that will put all ur stuff in and drive u across, dont need to "import" just drive across, easy
BUT sell the car/motorcycle as tax, import fees will be to high.
Dogs, people are always bringing them in on the FB kampot group so ask there

personally have no problem living here in Thailand, yea getting different, more fucked laws, requirements ( which there is always a way around) but its still a great place with lots of choices & great food
.....you also cannot register a used vehicle in your name so you have to buy new or buy a used one that has not been registered
ONLY applies to motorcycles.

When ever i drive over with my thai car, i usually never see another one expect near the border.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

oswylde wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 pm
3. i know that government policies are always changing, so are there any chances i might get kicked out of cambodia at any point for being an expat?

cheers in advance!
Yes, of course there is. Just like all the thousands of expats who got kicked out of Thailand when the visa regulations changed and moved to Cambodia. Cambodia could, at any moment, adopt similar restrictions.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:09 am
oswylde wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 pm
3. i know that government policies are always changing, so are there any chances i might get kicked out of cambodia at any point for being an expat?

cheers in advance!
Yes, of course there is. Just like all the thousands of expats who got kicked out of Thailand when the visa regulations changed and moved to Cambodia. Cambodia could, at any moment, adopt similar restrictions.
NO expats were Kicked out of Thailand , (and i seriously doubt even a 1,000 were affected) ONLY affected those OVER 50, that did not have the $$ to leave in the bank to get their 1 year extension
AND even then there are ways aorund it
Dont have 800,000, get an agent for 24,000 for ur 1 year extensions.
Have 800,000, but dont want leave it in the bank...Head to Penang and get a 1 year visa, (only need show 8000,000 in the bank one day)
The required medical insurance ONLY applies to those getting a O-A visa in their own country.

What has caused more expats to leave, is the strength of the baht and their pension is no longer enough to stay here
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Khmu Nation wrote:If you are a native speaker get a proper tefl cert (Celta month course) and come out. You will find work soon enough. Best of luck.
What kind of job though? He's a high-school graduate at most (he doesn't mention whether he graduated or not). This limits your jobs in the west, let alone here. He's presumably got little to no work experience on top of that. Why would someone hire him when they can hire a local with equivalent experience/ qualifications for $250/month? The number of schools that don't require a degree are now pretty low and pay shit, so it's a road to nowhere as mentioned. Way better to invest in his education, or if he doesn't know what he wants to learn or study, then he should do what many do and travel a bit (though now maybe isn't the best time?). There's no point "settling" somewhere you've presumably never been to under these circumstances. Have fun, enjoy life a bit and make the most of your savings by travelling rather than staying cooped up in a $100/month apartment because you're broke and don't get paid much. He can come back to work here later if he wishes, when the situation makes more sense.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic