WJP rule of law; Cambodia 127 out of 128

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

WJP rule of law; Cambodia 127 out of 128

Post by phuketrichard »

:beer3:

https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index/

Thailand comes in at 71, Burma 112, Vietnam 85
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: WJP rule of law; Cambodia 127 out of 128

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:35 pm :beer3:

https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index/

Thailand comes in at 71, Burma 112, Vietnam 85
Two years running so at least we are keeping up the good work in beating Venezuela.

Is anyone remotely surprised?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's depressing to read a report like that. I don't believe it has any veracity. It's just the same old "bash Cambodia and hold them to higher standards " line that has been thrown at this country since the PRK and especially after UNTAC. There is a certain contingent that wants to make people believe that the Paris Peace Agreement brought peace to Cambodia. They deny that the factions only stopped fighting in 1998/9. Now they support reactionary and xenophobic divisive parties. Sure, things are not perfect here and the rich can buy impunity but to put this country at a lower rank than South Africa, El Salvador, Myanmar, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc is just ridiculous. Just below DRC? GTFOH you BS statisticians. :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Its such a deterrent to invest in Cambodia..even small scale. You are NEVER safe unless you know the guy with the biggest/most guns at hand. So many new investors still believing a business licence, a written lease or any other piece of paper will safeguard you in case of trouble. You stumble over so many interersting business opportunities while visiting the country (and I guess many more if you decided to live there permanently) but I guess I am not the only one who decided against putting any dolla down due to fears of beeing fkced up in a country missing rule of law.
I would never dare to give an expert advice but even as a regularly vsisiting tourist who made a few friends that had the ballz to invest (cafe/restaurants, guesthouses, media/guides, food processing, clothes store and book shop to name a few) my personal experience is failure of nearly all of them. Some were dumb (had money only, no other real intrapreneural skills) or did not have the necessary cleverness to run a biz but the majority of them lost business due to bigger red envelopes or were cheated by the partners (barang and local) with no real chance for a legal protection of their investment/interests. My 50 cents: Invest only the money you can afford to lose without changing your future life. Investing in Cambodia is a gamble with unknown payouts.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

truffledog wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:15 am Its such a deterrent to invest in Cambodia..even small scale. You are NEVER safe unless you know the guy with the biggest/most guns at hand. So many new investors still believing a business licence, a written lease or any other piece of paper will safeguard you in case of trouble. You stumble over so many interersting business opportunities while visiting the country (and I guess many more if you decided to live there permanently) but I guess I am not the only one who decided against putting any dolla down due to fears of beeing fkced up in a country missing rule of law.
I would never dare to give an expert advice but even as a regularly vsisiting tourist who made a few friends that had the ballz to invest (cafe/restaurants, guesthouses, media/guides, food processing, clothes store and book shop to name a few) my personal experience is failure of nearly all of them. Some were dumb (had money only, no other real intrapreneural skills) or did not have the necessary cleverness to run a biz but the majority of them lost business due to bigger red envelopes or were cheated by the partners (barang and local) with no real chance for a legal protection of their investment/interests. My 50 cents: Invest only the money you can afford to lose without changing your future life. Investing in Cambodia is a gamble with unknown payouts.
Absolute TRUTH!!!
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 pm It's depressing to read a report like that. I don't believe it has any veracity. It's just the same old "bash Cambodia and hold them to higher standards " line that has been thrown at this country since the PRK and especially after UNTAC. There is a certain contingent that wants to make people believe that the Paris Peace Agreement brought peace to Cambodia. They deny that the factions only stopped fighting in 1998/9. Now they support reactionary and xenophobic divisive parties. Sure, things are not perfect here and the rich can buy impunity but to put this country at a lower rank than South Africa, El Salvador, Myanmar, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc is just ridiculous. Just below DRC? GTFOH you BS statisticians. :facepalm:
What "certain contingent" do you mean? Do you think the same people who had an interest in promoting the success of the Paris Peace Agreements are still in positions of power?

The different factors that were taken into account, as well as methodology and sponsors (funnily enough one is called 'The Bingham Centre For The Rule Of Law') are listed on the WSJ-site. Would be interesting to get a more detailed critique, especially because I share your 'feeling' that the other countries you named are also pretty fucked up.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

truffledog wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:15 am Its such a deterrent to invest in Cambodia..even small scale. You are NEVER safe unless you know the guy with the biggest/most guns at hand. So many new investors still believing a business licence, a written lease or any other piece of paper will safeguard you in case of trouble. You stumble over so many interersting business opportunities while visiting the country (and I guess many more if you decided to live there permanently) but I guess I am not the only one who decided against putting any dolla down due to fears of beeing fkced up in a country missing rule of law.
No one sane would dispute what you say about Cambodia, but the same is true of many countries so is Cambodia really any worse? You will get very similar tales of woe from people who have invested in some of the poorer EU countries, most African countries and most South American countries. the fact is foreign tourists and investors exist to be ripped off in the eyes of some indiginous people of many cultures. Cambodia is being held to higher standards because the west couldn't give a stuff. it has been written off as a vassall sattae of china beyound redemption. While the west considers places like Saudi and a lot of Africa for example as place they can make a buck they will continut to turn a blind eye to the exact same practices that happen in Cambodia
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

those pesky international standards

this index is the result of surveying households and lawyers

questions like 'regulations are effectively enforced', 'government powers are subject to non-governmental checks', 'government officials do not use public office for private gain'

clearly cambodia fails rather comprehensively on most of these
perhaps not quite as much as DRC etc in reality, but this index measures peoples opinion
maybe cambodia should try harder to hide these failings

monstra mihi bona!
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Maybe it matters naught to Western folks who dont with to buy proerty or own a business. Regardless, whats the point of this topic? Satisfy some dude from Thailands agenda? He just finished posting the same "revelation" over on a Thai expat forum.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Ministry refutes justice ranking

Ry Sochan | Publication date 12 March 2020 | 01:17 ICT

The Ministry of Justice on Wednesday refuted a World Justice Project (WJP) report which ranked Cambodia 127th out of 128 countries globally, in its rule of law performance, saying the report did not reflect realities in Cambodia.

The WJP on Wednesday released its “WJP Rule of Law Index 2020” annual report, claiming it is based on national surveys of more than 130,000 households, and 4,000 legal practitioners and experts globally.

Ministry of Justice secretary of state and spokesman Chin Malin told The Post on Wednesday that the report seems to have assessed Cambodia by linking its judicial system and law enforcement to politics.

He said the report is quite superficial and did not look into Cambodia’s legal aspects and context in depth.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national- ... ce-ranking
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic