Staying upon Cambodia forever

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SEAdude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Staying upon Cambodia forever

Post by SEAdude »

I have been here for more than 2 years and really have no interest in going back to the states as I am pretty much financially set. I'm curious how many of you out there have been here for a long time and how you do it. I have don't the extensions/work visas and that is all well and good, but have any of you married a Khmer to have the 'right' to stay here? Not really well-read in the immigration law here but I have been with the same Khmer girlfriend they whole time whom I would most certainly marry. The trouble there is I am approaching 50 and I know one can't marry a Khmer after that here. Just fishing for ideas here as this is my first post here. Thanks in advance for any advice and much appreciation to the people who made this site.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Staying upon Cambodia forever

Post by Ravensnest »

SEAdude wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:20 pm I have been here for more than 2 years and really have no interest in going back to the states as I am pretty much financially set. I'm curious how many of you out there have been here for a long time and how you do it. I have don't the extensions/work visas and that is all well and good, but have any of you married a Khmer to have the 'right' to stay here? Not really well-read in the immigration law here but I have been with the same Khmer girlfriend they whole time whom I would most certainly marry. The trouble there is I am approaching 50 and I know one can't marry a Khmer after that here. Just fishing for ideas here as this is my first post here. Thanks in advance for any advice and much appreciation to the people who made this site.
Well, I wouldn't suggest getting married for the right to stay in a country. if you love her and could see it happening down the road if there were no time constraints, you should proceed and make an honest woman of her. If I remember right, there is not a written law stating that you have a right to stay here but you are a shoo-in for visa renewals.
Still here, in country...
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

SEAdude wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:20 pm I am approaching 50 and I know one can't marry a Khmer after that here.
This is not true anymore.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Marrying khmer does not give you the right to stay any longer than a year at a time same as everyone else (unless you pony up big $$ and have contacts)

The over 50 was cancelled last year so you can marry if thats ur choice. I've been with the same Khmer lady for almost 10 years, zero plan to marry as no more kids and thats the ONLY reason i can see getting married other than the local BS ....making her an honest women and showing face to others.
Dont need it nor does she
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
MrrMeng
Tourist

Post by MrrMeng »

:dm: 90-95% of marriages between a Western male and khmer woman end in economic loss & bitterness for the male. WHY WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO WEAR the same clothes/ shoes day after day ?
[i]If in doubt, go flat out[/i]
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Being in a long-term relationship, married to, or even having children with a Cambodian Citizen gives you ZERO entitlement to stay long term in Cambodia. There is no Visa or Extension of Stay category which covers relationships.

If legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen and not employed/owning a business in Cambodia, it was possible to obtain an EB (Business) EOS based on marriage, but the DoI have stopped this practice unfortunately.

According to the Law on Nationality, after 3 years of legal marriage in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen you are eligible to be granted Cambodian Citizenship, with the only fees payable being the application fee - however, the reality is that it will cost you several thousand dollars to successfully achieve.
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Cambodians believe the wife follows the husband, so if they tell you to go, she would be expected to go with you. Visa requirements change at the whim of whoever is the minister. It's very difficult to predict.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Brody wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm
SEAdude wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:20 pm I am approaching 50 and I know one can't marry a Khmer after that here.
This is not true anymore.
From another thread..

fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

so all you need for a divorce is to stop working? ;)
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

MrrMeng wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:04 pm :dm: 90-95% of marriages between a Western male and khmer woman end in economic loss & bitterness for the male.
true? can you tellme official figures or what you think?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic