Do Cambodians take a long time to eat a meal?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Do Cambodians take a long time to eat a meal?

Post by yong »

I heard that eating slowly is good for digestion anyway I’m a fast eater.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

always was told chew ur food 10x, than swallow
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I'm surprised by the answer that people say that eating is a time to socialize for Cambodians. I have been told by a number of Cambodians that they do not talk much while eating, and that this is part of their culture. One reason given is that they are conscious of accidentally spitting with food in their mouth.

Another variant on this is that Cambodians say they do not discuss anything serious while eating, only light conversation. All of this makes the "business lunch" difficult for Khmer culture.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 am It's not how long they take to eat that's annoying, it is HOW they eat (generally) that winds me up. *slip slap slip slap slurp*
So they are making the same noise as a barang downing a beer then?
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Haven’t noticed this, felt like they ate quickly TBH
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I'm still trying to gather enough courage to eat durian and drink a coke at the same time, which many Cambodians have said will kill me. I have a feeling that when I do it and (if?) I Iive, they still won't be convinced. "Barang stomach not same as Khmer stomach." :popcorn:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:05 am I'm still trying to gather enough courage to eat durian and drink a coke at the same time, which many Cambodians have said will kill me. I have a feeling that when I do it and (if?) I Iive, they still won't be convinced. "Barang stomach not same as Khmer stomach." :popcorn:
Tried it. My advice, DON'T. You won't die but you'll feel the same as after a night of drinking with Jamie.
Don't forget the water buffalo
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Kayve wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:05 am I'm still trying to gather enough courage to eat durian and drink a coke at the same time, which many Cambodians have said will kill me. I have a feeling that when I do it and (if?) I Iive, they still won't be convinced. "Barang stomach not same as Khmer stomach." :popcorn:
Tried it. My advice, DON'T. You won't die but you'll feel the same as after a night of drinking with Jamie.
Now I'm even more tempted.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:58 pm I have been told by a number of Cambodians that they do not talk much while eating, and that this is part of their culture. One reason given is that they are conscious of accidentally spitting with food in their mouth.

Oh yeah that's funny because for the last 12 years I've only really seen Cambodians slopping food around with their mouths wide open with food flying around and spitting bones on the floor like it's coming out of an MG42. This usually happens afrer they've finished leaving the millionth door wide open for the day and coughed and sneezed everywhere without covering their mouths.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

pczz wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:48 am
Spigzy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 am It's not how long they take to eat that's annoying, it is HOW they eat (generally) that winds me up. *slip slap slip slap slurp*
So they are making the same noise as a barang downing a beer then?
Maybe, but one takes a few seconds, the other is a 30-60 minute ordeal! :beer3:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic