OpenNet ISP is losing it, dismal speeds

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

OpenNet ISP is losing it, dismal speeds

Post by frizzie77 »

For years I've been with Internet Service Provider OpenNet and so far I've been rather happy with them. I've had my issues - as I suppose almost everyone with almost every ISP in this Kingdom - but overall, OK.

However, the last couple of weeks they seem to completely loose it when it comes to connectivity and speeds. I've had a few 'LOS' problems (that's Loss Of Signal) and on top of that speeds decreasing to a point I find non acceptable. I'm having a plan that promises 16Mbps download. Over the last couple of weeks, I've not been having that speed, far from it. Tonight is a new low, see the screenshot:

And no, I never use the 'optimal server' as suggested by Speednet, which is always the nearest, in other words Phnom Penh. But because there are surprisingly few internet websites/services or whatever based in the capitol of the wonderful Kingdom, I don't see that as a reliable measurement of the actual speed I'm getting.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: OpenNet ISP is losing it, dismal speeds

Post by Username Taken »

And you've reported this to OpenNet, haven't you?

Tell them you want your money back.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

My IT tells me there is yet another problem with one of the undersea cables. I certainly have dismal speeds in Vietnam, too.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:01 am My IT tells me there is yet another problem with one of the undersea cables. I certainly have dismal speeds in Vietnam, too.

Probably sand between the joints,,, can be a big problem.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Last night was abysmal, images not loading etc, I just restarted my modem and went to bed. But if there's another submarine cable cut what can you do?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Duncan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:15 am
hanno wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:01 am My IT tells me there is yet another problem with one of the undersea cables. I certainly have dismal speeds in Vietnam, too.

Probably sand between the joints,,, can be a big problem.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Same here. Netflix cuts out and needs reloading now and then.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

About 10 days ago OpenNet claimed there was indeed an undersea cable cut (didn't mention which one), but last week they said it had been repaired.

And now there's another problem with an undersea cable?

Normally, I can find a news report when one of the cables in this region has a problem, but this time none.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

SINet for the win. Great service, very stable speeds, wide access areas, been with them for 18 months now in two different provinces and never had a single issue.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Same here in Vung Tau (visiting). It's been terrible every day. I've had to use my Vinaphone connection sometimes to get simple big name sites. I couldn't find the news item of several weeks ago but it said one last cable (out of 3) was giving problems and could not be fixed quickly due to weather.

I forgot one important note. Some here say that so many students (whose schools are closed) are doing their course work online it's choking the capacity.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic